what oil should I use | FerrariChat

what oil should I use

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by zman, May 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    what oil should i use on my 400i.
    is Q/S syn good enough, mobile?

2. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I'm a new owner and have recently read thorugh a bunch of threads on this site. Looking through the records on my car I see that over the years its had 5-40, 15-40, 20-50, dino, synthetic, dino again, synthetic, 'racing oil', all sorts of stuff.
    I also have some other older cars and motorcycles and have gone through this discussion before- my 911 uses BP 20-50.
    So, after all of that 'research' I'm using Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5-40 without any more worry.

3. galbert

galbert Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    sud ouest france
    Full Name:
    Galbert Christopher
    bonsoir
    nous utilisons de la 15w40
    pour notre 400 carburateur boite auto

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I used Mobil 1 15W-50 and was very satisfied with it and had a lot of peace of mind about its capabilities.

The sting of buying 19 quarts, typically at $8.99/qt, was reduced by watching Walmart ads for 5 quart jugs at $25 each.

Just don't tell anyone that you buy the oil for your Ferrari at Walmart! ;)

5. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Last year I began using Amzoil 20/50 containing the proper zinc content. The results were immediate...

the tappets lubed up so quickly, that they went silent in less than 30 seconds and hums like a Singer sewing machine. I have yet to see the oil temp over 212f, which is exactly where manufacturers prefer engines to run. Also, upon total rebuild of the T400 tranny,I began running Amzoil ATF. with outstanding results..It costs about the same as other brands, but, "Frankly Scarlett..I don't give a damn". Baldwin oil filters. Jq.

6. Ed_Trottier

Ed_Trottier Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 10, 2008
    Moneta, VA (SML)
    Full Name:
    Ed Trottier
    concerning water temp/vs oil temp: My 400i GT tracks almost exactly 80-90C water, and 90 to 100C oil. Consistently 10 to 15 deg C above water temp. Using 15W-50 Mobil 1, recently changed to Castrol 0W-30 SPT.

Ed Trottier
    Aiken, SC

7. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    #7 Schumi, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

This is what I use as well with the same results. I've used Castrol and Royal Purple but I like the Amsoil Z-rod 20W-50. Don't forget the new crush-washer on the drain plug.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login