What? No forum about the Houston Astros? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What? No forum about the Houston Astros?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Whisky, Jan 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    That way, Beltran can keep his 2017 ring...

tomc likes this.
  2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I hate to compare apples to apples, but with the owner 'now knowing', and that 'plausible deniability',
    does this sound a lot like a certain pro football team located on the Northeast?

Oh - and Bob - thanks for breaking this all down for us, that was awesome...

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lol. And, yes, thanks Bob!
    T

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The scumbag Cora has been fired. He can go back to Texas or wherever the hell he's from.

And nice try Fernando, but no cigar here. :D

5. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    You're welcome, thanks for the compliment. I think we all like being a little naive about the realities of competitive sports (I still watch the Tour De France, but don't take the results too seriously - they have perfected cheating in so many ways, they're running out of new cons to run), and that we enjoy seeing "our" team win no matter how old we get. Taking that away is a sin, not the least of which is because younger players follow the examples they see. Today, several of the MLB talking heads were talking about guys making "mistakes" like they didn't know what they were doing, or the monitors jumped on them and forced them to watch. I'm glad MLB is at least whacking someone hard.

Although the NFL is now America's game, baseball is America's legacy. Unlike many other sports, Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb or Walter Johnson could come back today and recognize the game. With some off-season training, they'd probably all still excel. After suffering through the anabolic era, it is tough to see people dishonor the sport so brazenly. Good discussion, thanks for the chance to vent.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Always an interesting question! Given the $$$ involved, better nutrition/training, etc. they might be better!! No selling insurance, seeking cars or digging ditches in the off-season.

T

7. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The more I hear people act like this is the worst thing to happen in the world, I just laugh that people are literally losing their minds.

The Dodgers are the new Saints. :p

8. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    LOL re the Saints, who also got jobbed twice in a row...I think it is more fun to think about this than anything else in politics right now; sports is also the great leveler, both on the field and in the stands. We're all equals in the stands, and sports is the ultimate meritocracy, where talent is the parameter, not your family, wealth or social standing. Rigging competitions, though, is probably as old as time.

Texas Forever and TexasF355F1 like this.
  9. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Pete Rose has a point.

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    He is an expert on cheating!
    T

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'll go out on a limb and say if the Mets have to cheat to win just one more measly WS before I'm dead, so be it! Bang all the trash cans you want. If other teams do it, it's cheating...T

ebobh15 and TexasF355F1 like this.
  12. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Tom, you think Beltran is going to get canned?

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I hope so. Shoulda next hired him. He was a major disappointment as a player, why the f**k they hired him as a coach is beyond me...T

14. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    BUT, back in the 'steroid' era, I know Mark McGuire said repeatedly he never took steroids,
    but took HGH - and HGH was not banned (back then)... anyway... who knows?

Today it is a different world, few want to sit thru a game for four hours nor watch endless
    commercials on TV. It also makes me sick to see people in field level box seats spending
    most of their time dicking with their smart phone than watching the game, and that goes for
    all sports, courtside at an NBA game is the same way...

Bob, did you ever make it to the CWS? I am in Omaha... I used to photograph it all thru the 80's,
    which I know was after your time...

15. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    He was great when he started out in KC...
    But like a lot of people that left for $$$, he dropped off after that.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wife and I went to our first baseball game in Texas; sat in seats with a great view of the press box. Near as I could tell, the reporters spent more of the game at the buffet then watching the game. That was last time I read any newspaper sports columns. Then, we got luxury box tix thanks to our neighbor, who's firm rented the box. I sure as heck know that no one there watched the game! I'm not sure they could tell a double play from a hole in the ground...T

17. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Back in about 1993 or so, I was photographing a KC Chiefs game, took a friend with.
    We went up to the press box at halftime, just to kill time, and my lord,
    the food they had was amazing! Tons of the best of the best - except pastrami.
    My friend just cracked a joke - 'all this food and no pastrami...'.

Ten minutes later a cutie strolled up to our table with the biggest pastrami sandwich I ever saw...

I'd say most people in box seats did not buy the tickets themselves, but they take them
    just so they can say they were there, it's some kind of an 'event' for them.

18. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    No I blew my shoulder out sophomore year, and never fully recovered. SoCal was a hotbed then, so I usually got a lot more playing time in summer ball than during the school year. If the rehab processes they have now were there then, I think I'd have been able to stay playing, but that was the era where they prohibited weight lifting because it would make you too bulky, and where they taught you to swing on a level plane (instead of the dip and launch plane they use now). I could scorch the ball, but rarely got it more than twelve feet in the air, resulting in a lot of long singles instead of dingers. The mature me knows I would have possibly made it to Double A, but not much further. I was a step or two slow from home to second, and didn't hit for enough power as a third baseman. My forte was fielding; unfortunately, they also want you to hit the ball, and not just catch it.

Texas Forever and tomc like this.
  19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That's probably true of most spectators at the Super Bowl as well.

20. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I went to a game when I was 18 just after graduating high school in the nice suite area of what was Enron field at the time.

Some important people behind us asked if we would give our tickets to their friends so they could get in. We did. They bought us all several beers after that. The lady just shushed the beer person, yes yes they're all over 21. Lol

21. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Yep - being able to boast about 'being there'.
    Hell, I photographed the Detroit Grand Prix every year, I had full access passes,
    I sat and talked to a rookie driving a Toleman in 1984, and a few others, memories
    that will never leave me; 'being there'.
    The race itself? Meh....

22. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Where in SoCal?
    I lived in Ontario from 1968-72, then moved to Omaha...

I think the last MLB game I photographed was KC in 1987? Bo Jackson was playing...
    Pro Football? I think the last game Walter Payton played in, I also did Howie Long's last game,
    could not tell you when those were.
    I was able to shoot the Lakers a few times, when it was 'showtime', mid-late 80's, had a blast.

23. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Near Rosemead and the I-5; went to school in Downey, but lived in a DMZ north of the freeway bordering Pico Rivera, Santa Fe Springs and Whittier. My Dad took me to 5-6 Dodgers games each year, almost always to see some of the greats. We only went to one Angel game; in 1961, we went to see them play the Yankees, where I got to see Mantle and Maris in their prime. Interestingly, we only went to see the Braves once, too. They used to let kids go down to the rail to watch batting practice, and my Dad told me to go shake hands with one of the coaches. I asked him why, and he said to just do it. The guy was really old, but soft-speaking and really nice. I asked him for his autograph, so he signed my game program. I ran back up to my Dad to report in, and showed him the clear signature of the oldest coach in MLB - Satchel Paige.

wax likes this.
  24. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Tom C. C'mon. Pete didn't cheat. He was stupid and bet on his team and on himself. I have no sympathy for the way he's made his living since the ban, but he deserves to be in the HoF.

25. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If people ask me if I would want to go to the Monaco Grand Prix, I say that the only reason is to say that I've been there. As for watching the race, you're better off sitting in front of a television! As for the racing, I'd rather go to Spa or Monza.