What new SUV to buy? | FerrariChat

What new SUV to buy?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by PeterS, Jul 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I am on my second Explorer, a 2002. They are OK, but kind of 'blah' for the bells and whistles. A new one would net out around $27K with rebates and discounts.

I am not really savvy on other decent SUV's that are out there. I rented a Buick Endevor that was not that bad. I want to stay under $30K with T&L. Just seeing what you think I may want to look at.

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    What do you use it for? Do you need to pull anything with it?

3. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    I like the new Toyota 4 Runner although I do not know if you can get a decently equipped one below $30k.

Good luck.

4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Its for all around use, business and pleasure. The only thing I tow is an 8' trailer with three go karts. (My 308 would probably do that!)

5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    We bought our 4Runner new in 99, and have been very happy with it. Any problems have been minor and dealer service excellent. Ours is an SR5, which has everything except leather and power seats. Total with TTL was right at $29k in Feb. 1999.

I'd go talk to a Toyota dealer.

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I like the Toyota Sequoia, it's equipped with a V8 & has the same chassis as the Tundra.

7. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    4runner gets my vote also. I have a 99 also but it's a Limited and Basically a Lexus inside. Cost was $40,000 but you can get a new SR5 for under $30,000 and is strange that the 8cyl. are a little cheaper than the 6cyl. My wife has the xterra, stay away from them.

8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU Rookie

Jan 30, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    John U
    4runner gets my vote as well but I didn't think you could get one for under $30k.
    GMC Envoy/Chevy Trailblazer?--I've read they have some reliability issues.
    Honda Passport?--boring styling, no low range but reliable.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee?--revised model coming out soon, could probably get a good deal on current model w/V8 engine. Reliablity an issue here too.

How about a pick-up w/an extended cab?

9. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    The Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota Sequoia and Toyota 4Runner are extremely good vehicles for all around business and pleasure. They are very reliable cars that do not need high end service.

10. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    I'm in the exact same position. My Pathfinder has 138,000 on it and moans and groans every time I fire it up (but it does fire up every time). I did a fair amount of research. The 4Runner comes out on top. And yes, you can get a 4X2 SR5 for about $26K-27K right now as the model year runs out. Limiteds and 4x4 push you into the low to mid $30s. Expect to be able to take off $3-4K from sticker with no problem. The Honda Pilot is very good, it'll never break, but has the styling of.... nothing - it's more vanilla than vanilla. The new Pathfinder has some questions of reliability, though they are getting better. The 4Runner is still a truck and can actually handle offroad and fairly heavy loads, though it handles and feels pretty solid, but not car-like as do some of the other SUVs (eg Explorer) - these other vehicles are really glorified station wagons.

If you are actually going to use the SUV as an SUV and not just as a way to be big in traffic, I'd vote 4Runner. My $0.02.

11. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
  12. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. I got within 2 seconds of my best Autocross time in a Carrera 4S in the Cayenne. It's a hell of an SUV, goes like STINK.

13. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Pete, if you can wait, wait till 2005.

Audi is coming out w/ Pike Paek (or someting like that), and M-B is releasing a new SUV (much cooler looking than ML!). VW Tourage is pretty good for money, especially V6 version. They all have 3 rows option, which can seat 6-8 adults.

I switched my SUV to ML320 in 2003 (I now wish I waited 2 more years, so my loss would be minimized), but will make another switch in 2005 or 2006 after checking out Audi's or M-B's new models.

You can check how Audi's SUV look like at F-chat by searching for it. Audiguy posted pics before.

14. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    PLEASE tell me where I can get a Cayenne Turbo for under $30K - I'll be there tomorrow with unmarked $20s. And I'm gonna guess the Audi (nee VW?) and MB will be more than a touch over $30K.

15. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Sorry, Pete, like Tesseract pointed out, I didn't see the budget!

Sequoia is over $30K, isn't it? I saw few models in May, and remember them as under $40K car.

16. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Again, it's out of the sub $30K range, but I've been looking pretty hard at the V8 VW Toureg. They seem to cover all the bases very nicely. (Although, the V6 may fall in your range)

Dave

17. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Wait for this new Ferrari SUV, Its gonna rule dude :)

18. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Check out the GM SUV's. They currently havce massive discounts. I heard radio commercials for new Trailblazers were being offered at $24k this weekend.

19. Well since your on a budget you can get a 2004 WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee overland with two tone leather interior,dvd navigation,4.7 HO engine,chrome wheels fully loaded for around 33k now as the new WK Grand cherokee is coming out. IMO Jeep would be a much better choice then the others great power, towing, off-road capabilitys etc...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2485047079&category=6947

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2485402091&category=6947

20. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
  21. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    A fully loaded 2003 or 2004 would get you for about $32k around here without discounts. Very comfortable vehicles, we have an 04 Expedition EB that stickered right at $40K!!! With DVD/Navigation! With our discount it got around 6k lower. I recomend either the 4Runner or new Explorer.

-Doug

22. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My wife has a 2004 H2 and loves it. We have pulled a horse trailer with it, driven off road, on the beach and used it as a kid hauler. We have added 4 video screens and a DVD changer and the kids love it too. The only drawback is that it only averages 12.5 mpg!

23. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    if you do not tow heavy trailors, and do not do serious off roading, why would you get a true suv.?...i hate driving suvs.... anyone who calls them selves an auto enthusiate should not drive an suv!!!! get a mini van for space, a suburu for 4 wheel drive or a bmw station wagon....99% of people dont use a suv for its true purpose...

24. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Nissan sent me a brochure of the new Pathfinder coming out soon. Really nice looking, and surely available in some trim level for 30K. I also recently came across a Starmarked ML320 that had a Skyroof and low miles for $24k. That would probably be my first choice.

25. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Sequoia Limited gets my vote. I bought one in 2001 and have been extremely happy with it. Owned a '97 4Runner before that and loved it too!

BTW - there's a reason that Ford and GM (Chevy) are offerring big discounts on their SUV's...;)