What metal on Mondial t exhaust ? Stainless ? | FerrariChat

What metal on Mondial t exhaust ? Stainless ?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by arm7, Dec 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arm7

arm7 Rookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Newport Beach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Tony Mork
    What metal is exhaust made of ? Stainless or mild steel ?

Inspired by all the posts to get going on the exhaust !

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The modern cars (with cats) typically use stainless steel, but it's the lower 10~12% Chromium content, magnetic, Ferritic stainless steel (e.g. AISI 409) so it develops a slight oxide film and really isn't appropriate for polishing. The "polishable" stainless steel for exhaust parts is the more expensive 18~20% Chromium content, non-magnetic, 300 series Austenitic stainless steel (e.g., AISI 302 or 304). Why do you need to know the material? At a minimum, you really couldn't/shouldn't use a bare mild steel for an exhaust part (unless you want to have a pile of rust in short order ;)), but maybe you could get by with an Alumininized mild steel. What's the project?

3. arm7

arm7 Rookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Newport Beach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Tony Mork
    It was a question the fabricator asked me as I was asking about fabricating some (inexpensive) high flow cats (magnaflow ?) for a Mondial t and then moving on to the exhaust. I am looking (listening) for some silencing but with that clean high pitched whine at full song without the drone... perhaps some Corsa components ? I would also like too keep the silencers off to the side so the cover of the transaxle (painted bright silver) will show when driving up from behind ( always liked that look) .

-Tony

4. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    I am adding glass pak mufflers (12") in place of my Tubi test pipes tomorrow.... Straight pipes into an x-pipe
    (see thread "No more anemic exhaust for this mondial t")....is great overall, but I am getting a drone at 1850 - 2300 rpm, so will try to take out some of the resonance up front with the glass paks

I've not used any stainless. Just low cost exhaust pipe. 2.25"