What is this and what does it do | FerrariChat

What is this and what does it do

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ceb39, Mar 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    #1 ceb39, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This afternoon, while inspection the engine area of my 3.2 coupe I noticed a connector attached mechnical to the FI unit. The red arrow in the attachment points to this green connector. It is an electrical connector of some type, but nothing was plugged into it.

I also noticed a black connector shove down near the green connector, but it was not plugged into anyhing.

Both of these connectors are near the rear of the engine compartment and almost under the air cleaner box.

My questions are:

Is the black connector supposed to be plugged into the green connector?

What is the purpose of these two connectors?

The big question I have is, what is not happening because the connectors or not connected?

Should I do anything about this, or take the advice a Ferrari mechanic gave me once, if it is not broke do not fix it.

My car is running fine, starts right up, and goes to 7000RPM without a blip.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

ceb
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #2 hank sound, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    [PARTIAL QUOTE=ceb39;143814491]

Is the black connector supposed to be plugged into the green connector?

What is the purpose of these two connectors? ceb[/QUOTE]

Hi ceb39,

I'm no tech here - - but, are these two connectors (one each) male and female? If yes, you need to find out if they are related (function wise) and what they did if and when connected. If they are the same sex, I believe we should respect their privacy. :):)

Cheers,

Hank

3. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Could not get a good look at the pins in the green connector. It is secured to the FI unit and can not be moved by my fingers. Will give it another go if I can find my inspection mirror and look at it. Had a partial view though.

The connectors in the black unit appear to be male, but they curve up at the ends.

From what little I saw of the conectors in the green unit I think if the black and green units are supposed to be plugged into each other, and the connectors inside each slide past each other and make connections that way.

But without a good look inside the green unit that is only a gues on my part.

I tried to find these parts on one of the tables, but did not find them.

Thanks for you help.

ceb

4. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    I'm not sure when Ferrari went from the K-Jetronic to the KE-Jetronic system, but my guess would be that it was after '85. Basis for this is that my QV has the earlier system. The "E" means that it is electronic with an electronic module to control fuel mixture et al. As your mechanic said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'd leave it alone as someone probably did something downstream to disable the "E" portion of the system. Just my humble opinion!

5. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    On my 308 that is the connector to activate the fuel pump. It is activated as soon as the airflow sensor plate moves off neutral. With the key on the pump should run when that is disconnected. Not sure if that helps
    -Barf

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you get in a bad accident, and the engine stops running, but the ignition key is still "on", the fuel pump will most likely continue to run as Barf noted -- which can be a very bad thing if the fuel lines get damaged in the accident (and you are inside unconscious and/or injured). That green connector is part of the "safety switch" system -- if you do a search on "safety switch" you should get many prior threads describing the detail of how that system is supposed to work.

It is often unplugged by a Mechanic to give him/her the convenience of having the fuel pump run with the key "on" and the engine not running -- but that's just for servicing work/tests (where having an accident is unlikely).

7. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    agreed that should only be unplugged for servicing

like when you are checking for accumulator and other cis issues