What is the worst car ever made that you would love to have? | FerrariChat

What is the worst car ever made that you would love to have?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by johnireland, May 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    My personal taste in degeneracy is the Maserati Biturbo...particularly the USA West Coast 1985 E Coup. The lines are the first two years (in the USA) were the purest. The 1987 had the fuel injection and a better interior but they played a little with the lines and messed it up. And in its day, the E Coups 205 hp was very very nice. But the quality control, and the rush to get it into production reveal how much DeTomaso was under financed.

The vinyl interior would turn green and split, the carburetor was impossible to keep tuned, the adjusting of the valves took forever and the paper head gaskets leaked like a sieve. But the transmission was a joy to shift, and with some tuning of the suspension they handled quite well.

The car in this video would make a great café racer...it is the car I'd love to have.

jag-oo-r, Julia, Wade and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Delorean

Jedi

BLAMPEE, anunakki and j09333 like this.
  3. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I love unloved cars. And cars that "everyone" said were terrible in their day. I guess I just root for the underdog.

I want a Citroen SM badly. And a 3rd series Maserati Quattroporte (the one from the late 70s/early-to-mid 80s). I already own a Maserati Merak SS, which is utterly amazing.

My favorite is the Mondial. And I own two of them. :)

tritone, Julia, carguyjohn350 and 2 others like this.
  4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Pontiac Aztek..love it because everybody hates it..

5. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    It was a pretty cool car in Breaking Bad! But, yes I hate them with a passion, so would be fun for that reason.

6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I was in a Rally once, and came upon an SM cruising on three wheels. They were chasing the missing wheel which came off the rear and went bouncing into the desert in the middle of the night. The Merak with the turbo technology would have been spectacular. I'm sorry Maserati got eaten up by Fiat...they were so much fun when they were struggling on their own. Their partnership with Citroen was a disaster they still felt very "Maserati."

7. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    924 Turbo, or as one owner called it "God's way of letting you know you have too much money"

8. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  9. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    msdesignltd likes this.
  10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Any Lotus...have had 5.
    All of them rattle and nuts and bolts loosen over time, things fall off, especially on track. But best visceral (production) car on track!

Sent from my 16M

Flash G and ShineKen like this.
  11. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Tough question. After owning a number of them and being disappointed time after time, there are few I’d ever want in my life again. 924S and Alfa 75 Verde I’m talking about you....;).

High end, Mangusta, low end Mehari. Maybe a Trooper ;).

zygomatic likes this.
  12. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    #12 Isobel, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Or Omega....;)

See them and for some reason always think about the taillights. Same as A110 Alpine, Ex R8. Believe the first few had a 273 Mopar.

13. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Intermeccanica Italia Torino
    I had 2 of them in the 80's, just a poor mans exotic, gorgeous car...however the internals were a step above prehistoric.
    Bodies were coated in bondo from factory..straight rear axle with poor suspension...interiors were amatuer and things were loose..
    I had 1 289 and 1 351 C...sounds were exceptional..but you never ever felt safe.

Isobel likes this.
  14. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Funny you mention the 75. I was looking at one online today.

15. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    About a month after I bought it I remember reading an article in one of the Brit Classic magazines about an editor trading his in for a Renault because of the constant maintenance......ugh, and then it began. Even after I sold it (in 100% condition) I received a call from the new owner one day later (OH NOOOO, lol) because the hood cable snapped and he wanted to know if I knew if there was a secret way of opening the hood without. Nope, but welcome to the club $$$.
    Loved that car, but it was unrequited ;).

Julia and zygomatic like this.
  16. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    My parents has an early 80’s Chevy Citation that was an absolute nightmare!

I was only in 2nd grade when we had it but I can recall being stranded by the car on the side of the road numerous times before the car eventually caught fire and met its demise.

Lovely piece of engineering.

alum04org and Isobel like this.
  17. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Thanks for the info. Nothing better than hearing about cars you’ve always been interested in from owners/former owners. Perfect example:

jm2 and colombo2cam like this.
  18. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  19. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    My father bought my mother a 1986 red biturbo convertible. I was allowed to drive it. It was fun when it was running but it had multiple issue with the carburetors and was in the shop frequently.

20. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Maserati Shamal
    TVR Griffith 400
    Lotus Europa

I don't think I'd fit in 2 of these cars.

21. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    The '86 convertible (that's all they sold that year) was the last year of the carbureted models and had an automatic choke that could launch you into the car in front of you. The chassis had the rigidity of a blade of grass or a diving board. The '87 started with the injection and that improved the car and saved it outside of the US, but by then Americans were fed up. I once watch a dealer and a factory rep argue over who was responsible for the fire that burning the car to the ground. A service tech had forgotten to put the cap back on the brake fluid reservoir and it leaked all over the engine and hence the fire. They decided that no one was at fault and told the owner to file a claim with his insurance company. This same attitude is what also destroyed Alfa and Fiat and Lancia in the US market.

Texas Forever and Isobel like this.
  22. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Aston Martin Vantage V550, manual.
    Drove like a truck, ponderous handling but I still loved it, if I come across one again I would definitely buy it.

amenasce, Isobel, nicholasn and 2 others like this.
  23. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    My dad had a 1984 Biturbo. It was a fun car, and just about dead even racing with a Mustang GT back in the day. The dealer called my dad and said the car needed some kind of fuel system recall. Then when he brought it to them in Fort Lauderdale they said it was not safe to drive home, and they needed to keep it for a few days. He asked for a loaner, and they said they did not do that. So my dad asked how he was supposed to get back to Palm Beach, and they said to take a cab (about an hour ride). My dad said 'no way, what other cars do you have for sale'. They offered him a purply Porsche 928 that had just been traded in for what they had paid, and so he bought it and drove it home. The 928 was a real tank!

24. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I keep thinking about getting an FD RX7.

25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Original Viper probably. By all accounts a dreadful thing.

Igor Ound likes this.