What is the most comfortable car you've ever been in? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is the most comfortable car you've ever been in?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F1Ace, Oct 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gentry

gentry Guest

The new XJ-R drives and rides very well. But being a brittish sedan, the B protrude too much and are too far forward for me to be comfortable. The broad shouldered will have many problems with this car, as will the long legged or long torsoed. Its built for average height humans, which is fine I guess.

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Bentley Turbo R
    BMW 745i

3. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I know what you mean! My mechanic lends me his XJ6 sometimes and the drivers doors being shorter than the back ones makes me feel like a limo driver or something. I've always wanted an XJR but if it's mostly just me in the car it'd feel wierd.

JAGUARXJ6 I totally agree with you. The tenatious grip and control of the Jags I think is without equal. I call my XJS ride one that handles like a Vette and rides like a Rolls. But I think though that second place would probably go to the BMW 7 series, just from what I've read.

It would be interesting to hear a comparison between the ride (and handling) of the BMW vs the Mercedes. I take it the Merc is more the "plodding type"?

Wes

4. gentry

gentry Guest

Performance wise, Id take a new XJ-R over the 7 series. As a passenger, it is EXTREMELY comfortable. The new Rs are SWB, so they arent so limo like. I was looking at a new Super 8 for my mom though (just so she can punk her pretentious ***** of a sister, ah family drama), but she opted for an Infiniti instead.

5. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    You might get some nice 50% off coupons from jewellers for after Christmas or New Year's...if you can wait till then.

6. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #31 Sfumato, Oct 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Haven't been in one yet, but I imagine a hearse for quietness.

8. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    LOL.

Actually my mechanic's other car is a 74 or so Rolls Royce and I insisted on getting it as a loaner when he worked on my Jag. Nice ride, funny though, 'cause you feel like you're riding through the park...all the time!!! Vertical windows and puny A, B and C pillars make outward visibility unmatched. Don't know where they're going on the new ones with their huge pillars.

Still, a bit obvious for a daily driver.:)

Wes

9. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    The Jag is great but is not as quiet as I expected it to be. I'm sure the newer ones are quieter. I love the car though, it drives like a much smaller car and feels pretty balanced. It drives great and is a lot of fun, much more fun than my smaller C class. The benz feels like a dump truck compared to the jag.

The road noise is a tad high for my taste but I think it could be from the cheap tires the p.o. put on it. Once I get some Michelins on it and track down whatever is whistling I think it will be ok.

10. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    The Enzo... but it wasn't moving! :D The bucket seats are quite supportive.

I would reckon an SL500, but I don't ride in many luxury cars... I only rode in that on a test drive. Other than that the most luxurious is the 360, which has seats that gloriously fit me perfectly...!

11. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    The 360 Challenge Stradale

12. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    An ambulance. A seat like a bed, liquid refreshment at arm’s length and good in traffic. The stereo was boss. It had an early Yoko Ono ‘B’ side playing, I guess. There was this loud wail all the time......
    I think it was a GM product, but no one showed me the badge on the front grill.
    Kram

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    This. Fits me like a glove.

14. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    My 750iL, and possibly a MB CL600. the BMW in particulair rides like a jumbo jet. Unaffected by lumps and bumps, but not 'floaty' either.

Fast, huge, powerful, stable, surprising performer.

15. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I was pleasantly surprised by the LS430. Perhaps it was because I wasn't expecting much. I still prefer the 745 all 'round.

16. laxplayer98

laxplayer98 Karting

Oct 13, 2004
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Rob Neill
    BMW 6-series

17. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    My old CL600 was very comfortable.

The 550 with the Daytona seats was great for long distances.

DL

18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Rolls Silver Spur
    BMW 7 Series
    Mercedes CL 600

19. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    456 and now the 612

20. gentry

gentry Guest

Agreed, CLs are very comfy, save for the low ceiling height (for me). I think it has to do with the high seats more so than the low height though.

The 600 certainly rides like a dream and can light up the faces of some of the young punks who think the Mustang mommy and daddy bought them is fast.

21. MS575M

MS575M Karting

Apr 14, 2004
  22. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I drove damn near every one of these cars when I was a valet... But the one that truly sticks out in my mind, was the hotel's Lincoln Town Car... It really was true to the "couch riding on a cloud" metaphor, and I drove it all the time to pick people up from the airport and such.

Also, you could turn off the traction control and really light up those back tires!

Or so the other guys told me.... ;)

23. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I drive tons of different cars all the time because I have to appraise them for a living. Two cars that stood out in the last 4 years were a 1991 MB 300 SEL and a 1996 Buick LeSabre Limited. The Benz rode very nicely and had headrests so soft that they could put you to sleep. The Buick felt like I was driving my couch down the street and had featherlight steering.

24. Dr.Bleed

Dr.Bleed Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nathan E. K.
    Old G-body seats. I dont care what car it is or how expensive, nothing beats the seats in those things, especially the old Brougham Grand Prix's. Sure it has an untracable oil leak, sure its rusted out and the paint has turned the powder, sure just about everything you can imagine has pooped out but damn those seats are cozy :D.

25. gentry

gentry Guest

Maybe one day I can justify the purchase of a Maybach, after thinking about it, they are the most comfortable by far.

Ive never been in the new RR with the console in the back, on the bench, so I dont know how comfy those are. But upfront they are mighty comfy.

I hear you can get used 62s now for like 280k, is that true?