What is the most comfortable car you've ever been in? | FerrariChat

What is the most comfortable car you've ever been in?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F1Ace, Oct 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I guess I'm talking about smoothness of ride as well as road noise.

I tend to find American cars lack the suspension sophistication of the European cars. Sure they can make a firm "sporty" ride, but it's like comparing the Ferrari ride to a Vette, there's no comparison.

So which cars impress you insofar as these qualities go? Jag, MB, BMW?

Best!
    Wes

2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Back seat (heh) of the big Lincoln Town Car.

3. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    the new 7 series. I test drove one and whoa, I'm not sure how to explain it. While i was cruising on the highway everything inside just seemed so tranquil.

4. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
  5. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

For smoothness of ride and quietness only?

Cadillac Deville: big cushy leather seats, pillowy suspension, and pretty quiet at any speed.

6. tacoz4sale

tacoz4sale Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    HANDS DOWN the most comfortablest caris the............03 SC430! i sat in one sc430 at Longo Lexus before it came out....(most lexus dealers have some models at the dealers about 2-3 mos in advance for pre-orders) and it was Midnight blue with creme interior. HOOOT!!!...only thing that isnt HOT is the back seat...a definite NOT.

You have the plush seats on the SC.......the tiny breathable holes in the seats....perfect positioning to the controls and a cockpit view of the road.
    Not to mention the ergonomics!

7. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    94 Buick Roadmaster, its soooooooooooooo comfortable and its HUGE. I call it my land yacht.

8. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  9. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Chrysler New Yorker.

10. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Most comfortable car I've ever driven.. Followed closely by the SL55 AMG Merc (I prefer lumbar support).

11. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Lexus LS430
    I would buy one. But im not old enough yet :D

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Silver Cloud

13. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Lexus LS430. Hardcore enthusiasts may curl their lips at the thought of a big plush boat for the highway, but when I want to isolate myself from EVERYTHING, I get in the big L.

14. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    It was Lexus LS model's navi seat (1998 model I think) Although it was too quiet, to the extent that we couldn't hear the police car behind us w/ stereo on at moderate level of sound. Later I heard Lexus had to modify the level of sound insulation so drivers could hear the sound of motor & outside better.

Also worth mention was a backseat of GMC's Yukon Denali xxx package. Maybe 2 ladies who was sitting w/ me had some effect, but it was very comfortable that I could lay down cross the backseat.

15. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I am a bit surprised at the support for Lexus. I had a ride in a full sized one a few years back and I was not impressed. It felt like a combination of leather and plastic like I was in an airliner, and the ride was nothing special. I don't know, like an overgrown Toyota. My brother had a SC400 and it was one of the hardest riding cars I ever knew...and that's saying a lot! The ergonomics were as was said, perfect. But ouch, what a crappy ride.

I WAS impressed with my other brother's 525 BMW though. It was only a 90 or something but the suspension was supple at first and totally controlled. I think if a person thinks they're gonna get that level of sophistication by rolling over to the Lexus dealer I think they're sadly mistaken, though they will probably get 5 times the reliability. But then again, that's not what this thread is about. ;)

More?

Wes

16. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I had a rental Park Avenue Ultra a few years ago. It was like driving a leather couch down the road. It was very comfortable but too floaty for me. Interior quality was rubbish though. The seat control panel fell out of the seat and there was too much cheap plastic.

I am pretty comfortable in my XJ6 but in it and in my C class the seat puts pressure on this one part of my leg that causes it to go numb after a while.
    The jag is pretty comfy except the road noise is a little much.

17. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    My most comfortable was a 73 Pinto. But then I had a Buxom blonde in there making it all the more comfortable :)

18. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

2004 RangeRover!!

19. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Ike, I'm surprised to hear you say the Jag has high road noise, I thought that would have been one of their strong suits.

I have to admit those Caddy's and 98's from the 80's with their velvet interiors had to be the best, but let's perhaps keep this to current cars.

Other comments?

Wes

20. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    The new Maserati Grand Sport is suprisingly comfortable.

21. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Maybach 57. I got to sit in it at the Rodeo Dr. car show on Beverly Hills 2 years ago... i didn't want to get out!!!

22. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    who drives current cars? :)

i have to drive a new holden commodore for werk purposes, it's comfy enough, got some power, does the job, but i'd rather be driving my (recent ex- :( ) girlfriend's 1967 semi-automatic bug with 54 stonking horses of power. :D

23. gentry

gentry Guest

Audi A8L
    VW Phaeton
    RR Phantom
    MB CL
    Infiniti QX56

24. gentry

gentry Guest

I looked at a 62 about a month ago, had one of my guys drive it. It was excellent, but for the money, Id take a RR I think. Its a tough decision though.

25. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    It does from the wing mirrors and a little from the A-pillars, its not that bad and it is quiet enough. You get snuck up on by ambulances, fire trucks, and police easily.

With that said, its aerodynamic enough to be able to roll down the front windows all the way with the rears up and you don't get "blasted" with air. Just a nice waft. Its very well designed, I'll take that trade off any day. Besides, I have a modified intake and a Magnaflow exhaust... I'm not adverse to a 'lil noise.

In most cases, Jag will choose always form over function. Its one of the best looking sedans on the road.

Jaguars are compromise cars. No one does comfortable suspensions with a sporty twist better than Jaguar. They have good hustle and much more composure than their rivals. Normal commuter cars/import cars are either too stiff, too bouncy, or American cars are too soft or jittery.

Jag is the one marque that lays claim to the "middle ground" and thats what I like about 'em. Its not for everyone, but from an objective road test point of view, they are very comfortable and give the stiff competition crowd a run for their money in capabilities in non-highway environments.

I guess what I am trying to say is they are soft with a high performance envelope. :)

Sunny