What is the liquid stuff they put on the roads for icey conditions? | FerrariChat

What is the liquid stuff they put on the roads for icey conditions?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by andrew911, Feb 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Our town sprayed the local roads with that liquid stuff here in NJ...this is the first year I've noticed local towns using the stuff. What is it?

When you're driving on the road you see the lines about 6 or so inches apart from where the spray comes down from the truck (it's applied with sprayers similar to the trucks that go on a horse race track between races to water down the track). More importantly, is it as damaging to a car as road salt? When I got home from work, I noticed the town had applied the stuff to our street today- I went out there and rubbed a line with my finger to see if it was gooey or oily, but the line was completely dry. Nothing oil rubbed off on my finger so I'm assuming the stuff wont kick up onto the car since it's dried on the street? I don't care about my daily driver, it's the ferrari I'm concerned about :) I think it's OK, and the stuff will probably only be thrown up off the street once it gets wet and the rain breaks it down/washes it away... I guess if it snows tonight I won't be using the car this weekend anyway, but I'm curoius at any rate.

2. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    It's brine.

3. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    For the first time ever I saw them spraying the stuff in several towns & Route 23.

4. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Correct. A salt brine. Allows a fine layer of salt to be applied before the predicted storm starts. Keeps snow from sticking to the roadway and makes plowing later easier.

5. Chriscann

Chriscann Karting

May 15, 2011
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It is brine. It allows for no adhesion of snow and ice to the asphalt. Also it is applied with just a few trucks on regular shifts throughout the day so nobody is on time and a half in salt trucks through the night during or after the storm. The brine has a tremendous residual effect- Wayne NJ just bought the applicator this year and has been doing the roads before past few storms. Definitely less costly in long run and short run and during snow storms gives better traction on roads until they are plowed. State has been applying it to the Route23 hill in Riverdale for past 3 years. Expensive initial outlay but does save money right away.

6. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Brine is salt in a water solution and it is corrosive. It may seem to stick to the road, but the tires going over it will definitely kick some up into the underneath of the car. So yes, it is damaging.

7. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Clyde it common in south Jersey from 195 south and in Pa. Never understood why it wasn't used in all parts of the state.

8. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I guess it's a moot point now, as many of the surrounding towns went ahead and dumped lots of salt. Now I'm hoping Tuesday is rain instead of rain/snow mix which would wash all this stuff away!

It makes sense to me to use the liquid stuff first- as I said, this is the first year I've noticed it, but tough to tell how much it helps as we had very little snow (thankfully).

-Andrew

9. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Brine? Hardly. It is a emulsified solution containing nanomachines that are programmed to detect and break ice lattice structure and (temporarily) thwarting refreeze by "wrapping" a molecule of water with the same biodegradable lipid coat that protects it from oxidation. In short, it gives up it's coat -- and in doing so, essentially selfdestructs as it succumbs to the elements.

10. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    #10 VGM911, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    That's easy for YOU to say!

But....a simple "yes, it's generally a mixture of sodium chloride and warm water (not calcium choloride)" would have sufficed for us laymen.

I did enjoy the humor in your post, however!

11. testdrv321

testdrv321 Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Newman
    Actually, it is calcium chloride brine. The concept is to create a liquid layer under the snow to make for better resistance against icing and make the plowing cleaner and quicker. I've been thinking about adding a system to my plowing fleet but not sure if the customers will spnd the extra money to upscale our snow removal service.