What is the Ferrari "pecking order"? And why? | FerrariChat

What is the Ferrari "pecking order"? And why?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by alexwagner, Oct 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Hello,

I have been very interested in classic Ferrari all my life and aged 40 I am finally reaching the means to become a happy keeper of one of these automotive treasures.
    Although I have a general Ferrari culture, I am lacking in detail knowledge.

I would like to know what the consensus is on the "pecking order" (i.e. price rank) of models from the 60's and 70's.

And more interestingly, I would love to better understand why the order is what it is. What factors, other than production numbers and competition success, influence prices.

I ask because some values are a bit incomprehensible to me.

In particular, why are the 2-seaters valued so much more than the 2+2 cars? What is it that turns the market away from cars like the 365 GT 2+2, compared to other 60's models.

I would have thought that being able to take friends or family out in a 2+2 would be seen as desirable (it is by me), as would comfortable GT touring capability. Am I missing something?

I would love to understand more about the relative perceived desirability and value of the whole range of 60's and 70's models.

Thank you!

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    As desirable and as practical as a Ferrari 2+2 is, a 2 seat Berlinetta or Spyder is more glamorous and sexy, as well as bringing out a higher degree of passion in people who are therefore prepared to pay higher prices for them.

3. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Well said, Steve!

4. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Three main factors:

Rarity
    place in history
    beauty.

A beautiful, rare, successful competition car is the most valuable where a higher production street oriented car that isn't so good looking is less so. The 2+2's were generally lower performanceand not quite as good looking as the two seaters, so are valued lower. Makes sense to me for the most part.

5. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    OK, sounds logical.
    I guess the price differentials between models strikes me as excessive, but I suppose that is just a translation of the market forces of supply and demand.

6. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I suppose not. There are 36 250 GTO´s made. Examples sell for tens of millions of dollars. There are about 50 330 America´s made (indeed, a 2+2 model) but it will struggle to fetch about 1/100th of that price.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Passion determines demand and the degree of it. Limited supply exacerbates it.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said. That's continued with the modern cars, where a 458 will likely retain more value than a California or FF hatchback. Most people's dream car has two seats (and no roof).

I would focus on what you perceive to be desirable. If you like the 365 GT 2+2, it's a lot of car for the money.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think it's because I own a 365GT 2+2. The cars I own never go up in value, only the cars I want...

10. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    #10 TZ 750, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2013
    +100

"It's the way of the world."

And a confirmation of your good taste........

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    So, you'd be willing to sell your car for what you paid?
    ;)

12. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Next time buy what you want,then you will have no regrets

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Sound advice, for a billionaire.

14. wrinvest

wrinvest Rookie

Aug 25, 2013
    Donv seriously if you want to get rid of your no appreciation 365 GT, please let me know. I'm in the market for one. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Oh, I love my 365GT. I've owned it for 20 years, and I intend to keep it for the rest of my life.

I was mostly making a joke, although it is interesting that it does seem to be the vintage Ferrari with the worst track record for appreciation. When I bought it in 1993, I could have had the 365, a 250GTE, or a 330GT all for the same money. And for not much more, I could have had a 330GTC. For about twice as much, I could have had a Lusso or a 275GTS.

I bought the 365 because, in my opinion, it would be the best touring car of the bunch-- and I still believe that to be true. And I've done a lot of touring in it, so all is good.

16. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I thought the C4 gets the prize for under appreciation. I can never understand why this car doesn't stand neck and neck with it's cousin the Daytona. They only made 500 of them, how many are left?

17. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It's the V12 equivalent of the GT4.
    Four seats, an un Ferrari angularity and a flashier sister car.
    Personally I'm glad that there are under appreciated Ferraris. It lets enthusiastic if relatively ;) poor purchasers have an entree'.