What is the best sounding Ferrari engine ever? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is the best sounding Ferrari engine ever?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Aug 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    That I have seen and heard 1st hand. Pre-turbo F1, 512 bb LM KTR displayed at show in Brookline. 333sp.
    V8 my former 355 with Capristo. Followed by 360 CS.
    Early V12s are another order of magnitude!

mclaudio and f355spider like this.
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I used to love the 333SP sound and still do, but the Judd reengined 333SP sounded better. Shame to say but true. Lack of development by Ferrari on those cars made that happen.

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Ferrari race engines from the 60's and early 70's had a deeper baritone sound, and they only really revved up to about 10 - 12K. F1 engines starting with the 312 boxer engines revved up to about 13 for short bursts... and it had the Ripping canvas sound.... 330p's and the 212 hill climb cars have a deeper growl at about 8500RPM... not at all like any of the Ferrari's of today. if you get to drive a 250 engine Ferrari - try to get above 5K RPM, its one of the best noises you can ever hear... one of the best videos is of the breadvan & 63 GTO at Goodwood you can find on YouTube... just awesome sound.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I agree. the high revving road car engines of the 90's are not anywhere close to great sound... its good - don't get me wrong but its way to high pitched.

I remember the first time I heard the new Atmo F-1 engine cars in 89 at Imola, you could hear them from miles away it sounded like horns going off, then you would hear the backfire... like gun shots when we parked and walked over the bridge into the Paddock , I heard the V-12 Lamborghini in the Larousse go by, and woah, it was so loud my ears rang. Then Berger went by a couple of min later and it was even louder... even with ear plugs! On Saturday we got to the track at 7:30 and they were just warming some of the cars up... OMG it was heaven!!!! the other thing people don't note any more is the smell of the cars ... back then they used to run all these exotic fuels with Touluene and Benzine... the smell when they went past... so awesome!!!!

375+ likes this.
  5. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I had the opportunity to experience hearing a Miura blasting down highway 1 last summer and all I can say is it was the best sounding car I ever heard.

F1tommy and 375+ like this.
  6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Actually for the highest pitch you would have to go for a 4 rotor Group C or IMSA Mazda race motor. Makes everything else seem silent by comparison. The Matra F1 motors also had a wicked howl to them.

Back to Ferrari, I do like the sound of the 250's, they sound very nice but still not my favorite. I think you have the 212E motor mixed up with another?? The high revving boxer with a small displacement 212E has to sound great. I have heard many Ferrari motors over the years including them in anger at 18 F1 races. I don't go to F1 races anymore because I cant't stand the way the motors sound. The 1980's turbo motors sounded much better than the new turbo's. Speaking of F1 Turbo's, the Ferrari F1 1983-1988 cars sounded great also.

7. Thomas S.

Thomas S. Karting

Sep 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    1. 412 T2 (last F1 V12)
    2. 365 Daytona Competizione
    3. FXX
    4. Schumacher-era V10s
    5. Early Colombos

Of course not knowing (or remembering) the sounds of many others - in the end I love all of them. Even some of the turbos have their own charming character, despite being bashed as boring by many. But in the end nothing beats a hugh-reving V12...

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    on the 360, probably yes because of the 5-valves, but also makes the 355 a close 2nd.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    for the vintage Ferraris needs a 12, but I also think side drafts.

10. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Not too special at idle, but? Always thought the 4 bangers sounded pretty good at full song. :)

11. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Love this commercial.

C50 likes this.
  12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Been watching a few videos recently about the 599XX. Not sure if it would qualify as a road or as a track Ferrari, but they sure sound good.
    599 GTO is another great sounding F-car...T

F1tommy likes this.
  13. rfeit

rfeit Rookie

Nov 11, 2014
    Boca Raton
    Full Name:
    Richard A Feit
    I owned a 1973 Ferrari Daytona for almost 25 years and would run it through the Queens Midtown Tunnel from time to time just to hear the exhaust. There is nothing that ever came close. We owned many newer V-8 models and a few other 12 cylinder front and mid-engine models. Still, the 365GTB4 was the absolutely best sounding Ferrari!

375+ likes this.
  14. Angus ferrier

Angus ferrier Rookie

Jul 28, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Angu ferrier
    360 with a tubi

15. barymac

barymac Rookie

Jan 21, 2016
    In my 77 years, the three mechanical sounds that are unique and lovely are: the 250 V12 Ferrari "at full song", the Rolls Royce Merlin V12 in a fifties era unlimited hydroplane, and the Concord SST doing figure eights at low speed over the 1986 Vancouver World's Fair. Each is distinctive and brings you right back to the day you first heard them.

EnzoItaly, 375+ and tomc like this.
  16. Carnab

Carnab Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Like the answer "Mine"......I'd say "Mine with the stereo off as usual"

17. lcontie

lcontie Rookie

Feb 14, 2012
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Lee Contie

This is the best Ferrari sounding engine ever!!!!

G. Pepper and plastique999 like this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    F-cars come with stereos?!?
    I'll have to check mine!
    T

19. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I am going to bring science into this. I only wish I could find the article. it was in Road and Track or Car and Driver about 25 or 30 years ago.

The article compared the sounds of different engines. They had these print outs that kind of looked like EKG's, not sure what they were measuring. The Daytona had the cleanest graph of them all AND was the closest to the graph of sounds made by some Beethoven Symphony.

So I say Daytona, based on personal experience and that article that proves it scientifically.

20. Toni-88

Toni-88 Rookie

Aug 3, 2017
    For me the best engine sound if the California N/A sound.
    Not the best performance car, but the best Ferrari sound.

About the other cars, for me the Maserati Granturismo is the best sound

21. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    It's hard to beat the shrill of the high rpm F1 V-12s from the Schumacher era.

But for road cars........unless I missed it nobody mentioned the 365 GTC/4. Better sound than the Daytona or 275s by a longshot. The most incredible sound of any car I have ever heard and felt was driving a C/4 at 5000 RPM in 3rd going through the Baltimore Washington tunnel. Absolutely unbelievable.....and fully stock engine and exhaust. Sends chills down my spine just thinking about it!!!

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Preach it!
    T

23. Hhaley

Hhaley Rookie

Jul 25, 2011
    FXX-K on track!

24. Blerter

Blerter Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Manual 360 with an Australian made Milli Miglia exhaust blasting down Lakeside straight shifting into 4th at 7.5 revs doing 200km/h (blipped the on-track noisy person detector at 96.4 decibels.....:cool:)

25. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Yes !!!!!!!!!!!

I watched one run after a wood boat show on Gull Lake, MN, several years ago ... it was incredible to see and hear ...

MDS