What is the Best Octane to Use for Mondial? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is the Best Octane to Use for Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Nov 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Funny you bring this up. My buddy is on his third fuel tank on his Ducati in two years. And his is now out of warranty. Not too happy. Dealer believes it is the ethanol softening up the plastic fuel tank.

2. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Send me a pm. We'll get him a new one. Then coat it before it gets gass. I'm on my second but I'm one of the owners of ducatimonsterforum.

<end thread jack>

3. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    You should see what it does to the fiberglass tanks!

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Thanks for the info. He just had the third one installed a week ago in the last days of warranty. I'll pass the info to him.

5. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    If you have an aluminum tank and don't drive often you can get pin-hole leaks due to the settling of the water laden ethanol.

Dave

6. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Seriously, has anyone tried 98 or 100 octane in theirs? I am planning to ship my car to Cavallino this year and am thinking about bringing her on the Palm Beach International Raceway for the GT cruising event if I do so. I've never had anything above 93 in her. Thoughts fellas?

7. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    PBIR has 100 octane unleaded. Not sure about the price, but they will have the gas pumps open for track days.

Given the manual call for 91, and the relative lack of sophistication of the Mototronic 2.5 compated to todays computers, I will be pleasantly surprised if you notice any real difference after running 93.

You can also add Torco octane boost to raise the octane on pump gas.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow, I have to be careful the next time I fill the Mondi up.

Look what happened to this guy:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L3l43HewDQ[/ame]

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    If it isn't, this should be it's own thread. My vote is old fuel lines and a leak in those lines at the filler just inside the body allowing the engine bay to fill with the fumes. Get the SRI kits if you are running original lines/hoses in your cars. Sad to see.

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #35 Steve Magnusson, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    +1 -- probably a cracked large fill tube connection (IMO nothing in that video says it was only vapor -- probably liquid running all over the engine bay). It is about a ~5 year old video IIRC.