What is the Best Octane to Use for Mondial? | FerrariChat

What is the Best Octane to Use for Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Nov 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 soucorp, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

I was just wondering what is the best octane unleaded gas to use in my Mondial 3.2?
    I have been using premium but I think it probably under performs because of it. Should I just use regular and save my money? Also, what city/highway averages should I be expecting?

Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Ethanol free is more important IMHO than which octane gas you use as the rubber from the 80's isn't really up to snuff for the alcohol component. Replace your gas lines if you haven't already. To answer your question, 93 typically, as that is what my local Costco has which is only a minute from my house. The guys there definitely see my Mondial too frequently. I have no exact idea about what gas mileage I'm getting. There are some other threads addressing this. I think the important thing is to keep the needle towards the half full side of the gauge. Some theories as to intermittent starting problems have suggested debris at the bottom of the tank finding it's way in from running low on fuel. True or rumor, not sure.

Anyone tracked their Mondi with 98 or 100 octane out there? Was there a difference?

3. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The Mondial 3.2 requires fuel with a minimum octane rating of 91.

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great point, I never thought about Ethanol damage to gas hoses on 20 yr old Ferraris. Its hard to find a station that is Ethanol free around where I live but I will start looking now. I know my car averages about 10 city 13 hiway or fill her up every 3 days of driving to work (55 miles roundtrip).

5. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    You probably won't be able to find Ethanol free gas at anything but a specialty station in this part of the country.

if your lines are old, the best thing to do is replace all of your fuel lines with Scuderia Rampante Innovations Fuel Hose kit.

Best money you will ever spend, they were engineered by F-chat consultant Dave Helms. REALLY GOOD STUFF!!!

6. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Why would it under perform using premium?

I use Shell premium which doesn't contain ethanol (at least here), part of the reason for buying it. The other is the owner's manual says 91. I'm get about 14-17 mpg in a mix of city and highway. Lately it's been on the high side of the range.

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    MPG will vary with the type of driving, leangth of trips, etc. The worst I've gotten in my car ever was 15.5. Best was 23 MPG while traveling dead steady at 65mph for 250 miles. In my mixed driving I tend to get 17 and 19 with mostly highway.

I run premium fuel and let the car warm up for 5 to 10 minutes before I drive it. But when I'm driving it tends to be long distances. I believe the EPA listing in the states for this car is 11 city and 17 highway so your numbers aren't out of sorts either. I try to fill up around every 250 miles, I've stretched to 300 a few times. I've driven as much at 800 miles in a day so 2 fill ups per day hasn't been a stretch. I think I currently have about 225 on the tank and I haven't see the fuel light come on yet.

I put the SRI kit in my car for fuel and coolant lines to head off any problems.

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #8 soucorp, Nov 4, 2011
    I think I've been using 93 premium, the owners manual just says to use premium, but what is best, 91 or 93 ? Because of the different compression ratio, I would expect it to perform slightly different. My averages are low because I rarely get good highway time without traffic and its usually stop and go 40% of my commute to work. Not to mention, I heavy foot the pedal for that intoxicating exhaust note from my 3.2 :~)

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    RON 95= US 91 Octane.

Personally, I always used 93. In the Us 91 is USUALLY made by blending regular and premium at the station. I don't have much faith in that process or in the integrity of gas stations. I use 93 because it (a) has it own dedicated tank (2) is well clear of the minimum recommended octane rating.

It is also important to go to popular gas stations like Shell or Sunoco. Despite the obvious benefits in the formula and detergents used, the gas usually doesn't sit around in the tank very long before it is purchased..meaning its time to turpentine factor is limited ;)

10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ...So I had to do some research, I guess I will go with recommended 91 and see if I get optimal performance.

The octane rating of gasoline is a measure of how much you can compress the gasoline before it ignites, not how “good” it is.
    Cars that require higher octane gas actually need that higher priced gas because the engines compress the fuel more before it ignites it. If you put regular gas in a car that requires premium, the gas will prematurely ignite when it’s being compressed and the engine will give you a knocking sound. This is bad for your car.

High octane burns cooler and slower (keeping Nocking low), but it also produces less power which your engine might not be ready for. This could cause other emissions such as HC and CO to increase. It is recommended to use ONLY the manufactures required octane at all times, specially during a smog test. Your vehicle's emissions computer is programmed to process information based on it's required fuel octane. The octane number of a gasoline is a measure of its resistance to detonation. Detonation occurs when the octane number is too low for the engine and its operating conditions. When the spark plug fires, the flame moves through the air/fuel mixture, burning it very rapidly. Detonation occurs if a portion of the unburned air/fuel mixture gets raised to a temperature and pressure it cannot tolerate and ignites before the flame front gets to it. Detonation causes the maximum pressure in the combustion chamber to be reached before the piston reaches top dead center and pushes down the piston before it has reaches the top of its travel. Much of the gasoline's energy is wasted in trying to move the piston up while the high-pressure gasses are trying to push it down. The extreme temperature and pressure developed can cause broken rings, rod-bearing damage, piston overheating, and erosion of the aluminum. Pistons sometimes end up with holes in their tops from the high temperatures and high pressures.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Low-Down on High Octane Gasoline:
    Are you tempted to buy a high octane gasoline for your vehicle because you want to improve performance? If so, the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane (87). In most cases using a higher octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers no benefit. It won’t make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner.

If your car engine knocks when you use the recommended fuel you might want to try filling a higher octane level. A small number of vehicle might experience engine knock using the recommend gas octane.

Buying higher octane gasoline when your engine is not knocking is a waste of money. Premium gas typically costs 15 to 20 cents more per gallon than regular. Studies show that vehicle owners may be spending hundreds of millions of dollars a year paying for higher octane gas than needed.

So what are octane ratings? Octane ratings are a measure a gasoline’s ability to combust; resist engine knock. Engine knock is a pinging or rattling noise that results from premature ignition of the fuel-air mixture in one or more engine cylinders. Gas stations offer three octane grades: regular (87 octane), mid-grade (89 octane - a mixture of 87 and 92/93, mixed at the gas station) and premium (usually 92 or 93).
    The number shown on the black and yellow sticker on the service station gas pump is the average of the research octane number (RON) and motor octane number (MON), or antiknock index (AKI). If the sticker shows an AKI of 92, RON is typically between 96 and 97, and MON is typically between 87 and 88. The RON and MON can vary slightly but still must average a minimum of 92 to have a pump posting of 92. Higher octane unleaded fuels will have a greater difference between RON and MON.

What octane should you choose for your car? Read your vehicle owner’s manual to determine the right octane level for your car. Most vehicles requires regular octane. However, some high performance cars with high compression engines, like sports cars and certain luxury cars, require mid-grade or premium gasoline to prevent knock.

You can tell if you're using the right octane level by listening to your car’s engine. If it is not knocking, pinging or rattling when you use the recommended octane, you’re using the right grade of gasoline.

Can using a higher octane gasoline clean your engine? High octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning your car’s engine, unless the gasoline has had carbon cleaning additives added to it. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires that all octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against the build-up of harmful levels of engine deposits during the life of your car. Some gasoline manafacturers add more.

Should I switch to a higher octane gasoline? A few car, truck, van, SUV and RV engines may knock or ping when using the recommended octane rating. If this is happening to your vehicle, you can switching to the next octane grade up. Switching to the mid-grade or premium-grade gasoline will eliminate the knock in many cases. If the knocking or pinging continues after one or two fill-ups, this may be an indication that your vehicle needs a tune-up or other engine repair. After the repair/s is done, switch back to the lowest octane grade at which your engine operates without knocking.

Is engine knock harmful for my vehicle? Occasional a light knocking or pinging won’t hurt your engine, and does not indicate a need for higher octane. But we don't recommend ignoring severe knocking. A heavy or persistent knock can lead to engine damage, and may be an indication of a more severe engine fault.

Are "premium" or "regular" gasoline the same, even if they are from different gas stations? The octane rating of "premium" or "regular" gasoline is not consistent across the country. One state may require a minimum octane rating of premium gasoline to be 92, while another state may allow 90 octane to be called premium. Make sure you know what you’re paying for by checking the octane rating on the yellow sticker on the gas pump instead of relying on the name "regular" or "premium".

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Joe, I didn't even know what RON 95 was until I researched it. Since I have been using 93, I will try 91 without Ethanol and see if I get more performance and better mileage.

Thanks,
    Mike

12. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #12 JoeZaff, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
    Removing the ethanol will certainly help, but I would doubt going from 93-91 is going to do anything meaningful at all. If you are concerned about performance, start going through everything, beginning with your fuel injectors, spark plugs and spark plug wires.

If you are concerned about expenses, don't bother, you are driving a Ferrari. A simple roof latch fails and you are going to blow all the savings you will have made trying to eek out an extra 1 or 2 MPGs for the next five years. You kind of have to approach these cars with reckless abandon. Enjoy them to the fullest and absorb yourself every moment you are behind the wheel with what it is to drive a Ferrari...the click-clack of the shifter, the sound of the engine, the balance of the chassis, the smell of connelly leather and oil. Believe me, in all likelihood when the dust settles and you are ready to sell your little beauty, the money you spent in gas will be a very small portion of the expense pie.

You have a beautiful car! Enjoy her!

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I had a girlfriend years ago who had a Nissan Sentra. She thought she was doing the car a favor by putting "better" gas in it. The car failed smog. I put 87 in it and ran a tank through, then it passed smog. Your research provides information I'd thought might be true but never did prove for myself. In a low compression engine higher octane simply make it harder to burn all the fuel. The car I seem to recall went from barely fail to barely pass so not a big difference, but enough. Where I am on the west coast right now we don't have all the options you do. Just three. The mid is always below 91 so I use the expensive stuff. Often that is just 91.

With all the traffic driving you do your fuel economy makes sense.

14. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You are not the first that has said that, the right octane makes a difference when it counts.
    The east coast has 3 options also, don't let the pic of the pump fool you, I just grab it off the NET but I've never seen so many options at the station. Most places in VA are 87, 89, 91, 93 but finding one without Ethanol I have never paid any attention to but will start.

thanks.

15. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    93 octane here. Better safe than sorry. The $$ diffrence is minimal considering how few miles we mostly drive. Used to drive an Acura legend as a daily that required 91 and it happily drank 87.

16. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I filled mine up twice yesterday! Great day with an amazing Ferrari!

17. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    You were really missed at the rally :(. I mean that sincerely.

You were the defending champion!

18. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Let me know if you do. I looked a few years ago and the closest was an hour drive away. Our area is considered a high pollution area so the EPA doesn't allow ethanol free. There is a station where my parents live in Florida that sells it for "Off road use only"

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=VA

19. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #19 jgoodman, Nov 6, 2011
    Thanks bud. I accomplished so much more yesterday than just being the repeat Frosty Ballz champ, an honor I to this day am very proud of achieving. I got to meet Howard (sweet 308gt4) and cruise to West Chester with him while seeing a gorgeous sunrise. I got to see you my friend and make my cameo at the Frosty Ballz and wave proudly to the scores of cheering and admiring Frosty Ballz fans (lol!), I got a free cup of coffee at one of my favorite Starbucks (thank you Howard), I got back to Central PA in time to see my oldest daughter have a fabulous goal in her next to last soccer game of the season in a 2-0 win that has them playing for the championship today (yeah!), I got to have a very nice lunch with my entire family and inlaws, I had a chance to see a dear friend recovering from hip surgery, I got in a 50 minute jog with my wife and fatherinlaw on a gorgeous day, I got to pick up many fallen limbs from last weekend's storm that had dropped so many on my lawn, I got to play baseball with my son and father-in-law in the front yard, I got to go to a wonderful black tie fundraising event for Holy Spirit Hospital where my wife won a $2800 Charles Krypell necklace from a champagne raffle (yahtzee!), and to top it all off, I got to drive 250 miles in a Ferrari Mondial cab on an absolutely perfect day (double yahtzee!)

It doesn't get better than yesterday! But next year, watch out Joe. I'm coming back, with special Frosty Ballz ammo prepared to win!

IT'S ALL GOOD!!!!

20. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Another great point Dave that I didn't consider, EPA in the way! Let you know if I come across any stations but sounds like we have to bite the bullet on this one from where we live.

Mike

21. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It doesn't get better than yesterday! But next year, watch out Joe. I'm coming back, with special Frosty Ballz ammo prepared to win!

IT'S ALL GOOD!!!![/QUOTE]

Looks like fun, wow a rare 308 gt4 Dino with steering on the wrong side!

22. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    SHELL PREMIUM 91 has no Ethanol where available... I will try Shell gas from now on, but I don't think there is any stations around where I live that is Ethanol free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Shell Formula One Program
    The Shell Technical Partnership with Scuderia Ferrari is regarded as an especially successful partnership in the world of Formula One, with 12 Drivers' titles and 10 Constructors' titles together. Shell works together with Ferrari to further establish an ongoing legacy of success in motorsport.

Shell was the first sponsor of the great Enzo Ferrari when he worked alongside Alfa Romeo in the 1930s. When Enzo created his own Scuderia Ferrari in the 1940s, Shell scientists and engineers created unique blends of fuel for racing activities.

Today, the Shell Formula One project team continues to grow, with more than 50 Shell technical staff contributing to the Shell Formula One program with Ferrari. Shell V-Power racing fuel has helped the Ferrari Formula One team win six FIA Constructors' Championships in the last eleven years. The same advanced technologies that power the Ferrari Formula One cars around the track have been adapted for Shell V-Power premium gasoline for use on the road.

From Track to Road

Every Ferrari road car leaves the production line in Maranello, Italy filled with Shell V-Power premium gasoline. We work with a brand like Ferrari because by providing our best fuels and oils for their Formula One team, we have an extremely demanding environment for our products. This provides us the valuable insights we need to keep improving Shell V-Power for motorists worldwide.

In return, Shell provides Ferrari with equally important insight into fuel and lubricant development trends so that its cars will run at their optimum level with future products. Over the past three years a dedicated team of Shell engineers have worked closely with the Ferrari Gran Turismo (GT) road car department to implement the advanced direct fuel injection fuel system into the newest fleet of Ferrari models.

23. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Well, I think these cars only require 91, (95 RON) but which is "better", Shell 91 without ethanol or ethanol 93 octane? Just wondering.......

I will check my local Shell, pretty sure they have ethanol 93.

Regards,
    Jerry

24. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    If you have the choice take the 91 ethanol free over 93 with ethanol. Your car and wallet will thank you later.

25. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    If you're near water most marinas sell ethenol-free as the boating industry has many lawsuits ahead of the car/motorcycle guys.

(ask a Ducati rider about the plastic tank expansion thing)

With metal tanks at least we're mostly just keeping an eye on fuel lines.