What is the BEST LOOKING MOTORCYCLE to you? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

What is the BEST LOOKING MOTORCYCLE to you?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by F1Ace, Mar 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    '92 NR750. Oval piston 32-valve, 8 connecting rod V4, essentially a V8 with pairs of cylinders siamesed together. When new it was the most expensive road vehicle Honda sold (including the NSX). Never officially imported to the US, but there are a handful here. IIRC there were about 300 produced, I don't know if Honda ever officially said actually...

2. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That is right! Now I remember reading about that AWESOME machine! Because they had oval pistons they had a lot of work trying to develop a ring that would seal them. I wonder if they actually got that worked out alright???

James
    Austin, TX

3. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I doubt it.......oval pistons might be fine for a 300- limited production bike. But the NSR to be a full production bike was unlikely. Oval pistons and rings are not economical to manufacture.

I also heard that the entire engine was unreliable.

4. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    You mean the NR right? The NSR's (250cc) were two stroke bikes that were produced commercially as "street" machines and competed in sales with the Suzuki RGV's, Yamaha TZR's, Kawasaki KR1S' and even with the (early) Aprilia RS250's.

5. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    To this day, IMO, the NR remains the most exotic street-legal motorcycle ever sold. Ducati D16RR included.

Actually both the NR and D16RR exist for the same reason: as a tribute to their respective manufacturers' abitlity to make them. Apparently oval pistons were simply not feasible for production, they were banned in the mid-90's in basically every form of racing anway.

Ducati insists that their bike is a one-timer only. At one point in 2003 they claimed they would never build a V-4 for the street though as well. Hopefully in a year or two they will realize that a true mass-production version without the ultra-expensive hardware would pull in new buyers that do not want a twin. At $23k for a base model, it would easily outsell MV. The engine makes so much sense for a very sporty sport-touring bike too.

6. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Yes, I meant the NR. I actually have an original copy of 'Cycle World' magazine from the late 80's when the bike first came out. I'll try and find it.

I can't believe Honda designed the NR like that back in the 80's. That bike was so ahead of its time, its incredible. The NR of 1989 looks like a CBR 600 of 2004!

7. jmuriz

jmuriz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    #107 jmuriz, Apr 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #108 nsxnick, Apr 2, 2008
  9. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That is CRAZY! Love the hubless wheels front AND BACK! TO COOL!

I was looking at a couple of street bike mags today and I can't believe how COOL some of the 'busa's are these days. Man you can just take those things are far as you want to take them! UNREAL! I REALLY need to find someone who can set one up w/ retracts for me and an air shifter so I can ride again! I miss it SOOOO MUCH!

James
    Austin, TX

10. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Nick... That's wild

11. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    You could always contact the old crew from "Monster Garage"! :D Seriously, what area were you from again? I might be able to help you with some research if you want.

12. shigs@ferrari

shigs@ferrari Karting

Jul 30, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Michael S
    is that even safe? :O:O

13. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I am in Austin, TX. There is a guy out on the left coast (Stewart Goddard) who has done just this very thing and there is a company in Australia that are building this kind of thing too. It is not that it isn't being done and it is not that there is no one in Austin that can do it...I know we have a LOT of talent here in town and it could be done. I would just prefer to take the existing examples or people who know them well and get an even better system built. AND I would like for it to be FREE! LOL! That is not going to happen and really right now money is the issue. I have to many other things that I want to buy that I can just get in and drive (400i, 456, etc) and this has the potential to be like my race car and just suck up every penny that you have access to! I am not ready to go there.

I would love to find someone who has already sunk all their money into a good functioning system and then buy that for $.30 on the $1.00! ;) I don't want much do I?

Thanks, but just keep your eyes peeled and think of me. We get enough "eyes on" and someone will come across just what I am looking for and we will get all the ducks lined up to do this thing RIGHT!

Best,
    James

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Brother - I have read many a post of yours, and respect grows with each passing day.

Let me see what I can find out from some custom guys on their grapevine in say... 3-4 weeks.

Now, I'm sure you've done your research up the yin-yang, but, this should be of interest to others who may take interest, get their minds over the obstacles; instead, focus upon the possibilities, and somehow be able to assist in this endeavor.

'bout halfway down - Aprilia in '99. Stewart Goddard used an electric thumb-shifter.
    http://www.armyofdarkness.com/1999/aprilia/aprilia.html

Turns out he was a podium finisher, many times. At that time, when racing, he was velcro-strapped to the seat itself, and feet were velcroed to pegs. That eventually proved disadvantageous.
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/32777/262010.html?1173145892

Thumb-brake system, as mentioned above
    http://gptechllc.com/productsthumbrakes.htm

I presume these are electric outriggers
    http://www13.ocn.ne.jp/~sidecar/gallary.html

The Aussie is Darren Lomman
    http://www.dreamfit.com.au/

Is the Piaggio MP3 out of the question? As shown on blog I visit most often.
    http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/05/11/piaggio-3-wheel-mp3-scooter/

Crazy money prototype
    http://www.brudelitech.com/product.htm

Never say never!

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    WOW

16. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    #116 Stackhouse, Apr 2, 2008
  17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #119 Texas Forever, Apr 2, 2008
  19. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    WAX,

Thanks mucho for all the info bro'! I have seen some of it but not all of it. Stewart Goddard is a STUD! As I noted in an earlier post I VERY NEARLY bought his '93 (I think that is what year it was anyway) CBR900RR that was fully decked out for him (and thus me), but decided against it when the wife got a little weak kneed on me about it. Also I have SO MUCH spasticity that there is almost no way I would be able to get up on that stock height seat. That is one of the big reasons I am thinking 'Busa. Stretch the thing out and have more room for any of the outrigger gear we need to install plus a little more room for me and wife (we are neither one as thin and good looking as we were when we were sharing a ride 17+ years ago), and lower it down so I can get on it easily. If something is to difficult I just won't do it. I am old enough now and been in a wheelchair long enough to know that if it is not going to be easy, just don't spend money on it because you won't do it or appreciate it!

Thanks again for the research... It will be pretty cool to get back on the bikes again. I was across the street tonight riding my handcycle and lamenting to my neighbor (as I was looking at his new Honda CRF250) how much I missed cycling. I told him about this thread in the process and how it has turned me on to so many new bikes that I wish I could just jump on and take for a spin!

Best to you all! I have REALLY been enjoying this thread!

James
    Austin, TX

20. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Lets just go steal that ZX9 or the GSX-R! Those are AWESOME! That is exactly what I am looking for. I figure these days if I put on a good set of the protectors that the stunt guys use that will protect my legs if I fall over. I can still get the wife on the back it looks like even w/ the riggers up. Get a nice low 'Busa w/ some velcro plates for my feet, some velcro straps to hold my legs in a bit, a nice comfortable (ie. flat and wide) Corbin seat and I am HOME FREE! I LOVED the bike out of Japan I guess it was that even had a set up so the guy could take his wheelchair WITH HIM! That is AWESOME!

I am not a fan of the system that the Aussies are doing. I have been in touch with them. I just does not LOOK COOL! I mean come on, lets at least make the stuff look as good as it functions!

Thanks again everyone for the support and encouragement. I never would have thought we would be having this type of discussion on a Ferrari forum! I sure am glad we are though!

Oh, I LOVE the Triumph pictured above. I tell you what if I came across the guy I sold my 1980 Triumph Spitfire to, he'd be selling it back to me just like you did w/ that bike!

James
    Austin, TX

21. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #122 WILLIAM H, Apr 2, 2008
  22. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    other than that last bike, lol,...this thread is awesome - great finds - too many great ones to pick just one as the 'best'!

23. mls

mls Karting

May 1, 2005
    MV Agusta F4 series

24. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    #125 Sea Bass, Apr 6, 2008