What Is Normal Water/Oil Temperature In Hot Summer Weather? | FerrariChat

What Is Normal Water/Oil Temperature In Hot Summer Weather?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ssrealty, Jun 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ssrealty

ssrealty Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Warren
    #1 ssrealty, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have an 85 Mondial QV with a single fan and have owned a few months now. I live in central TX, and outside ambient temperature is almost 100 degress.

In heat of day, the water temperature gauge reads in the middle mark between 195 and 250. Same with oil temperature. I used a digital thermometer to measure the degress at the heater hose. Readout is coming in around 205-210 degrees. This does not seem high. It just makes me nervouse when the needle on the gauge is 2/3 from hitting overheat mark. The manual states engine should not exceed 240 degrees.

When shutting off engine, there is no boiling noise or other noticeable overheating noise, and car starts up fine. Every once in a while, a few drops of fluid will drip overnight on floor from overflow hose. Otherwise, fluid level remains high in the overflow radiator tank in engine compartment (where radiator cap is).

Is this a normal running temperature? Should I be concerned? I attached pictures for reference. BTW, I just shut off engine. So, disregard oil pressure gauge. Appreciate any feedback.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Surely this should be all the reassurance you need ?

3. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    #3 PT 328, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
    I had unusually high gauge readings with normal infra red temp gun readings in my 328. I pulled the gauge and cleaned the connections, problem solved.

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #4 JoeZaff, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
    FWIW, I have an 86 3.2 and my water temp has never exceeded 195 and my oil 210 regardless of ambient temperature or how aggressively I operate her. Of course I have two cooling fans. Nonetheless, the cooling systems in these cars are really robust.

You could have a problem or something as simple as faulty gauge readings

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Same here with an 88, even during stop and go traffic with mid-day temps in the 90s.

6. stangjew

stangjew Karting

Feb 5, 2011
    Arlington TX
    Full Name:
    Brad
    It was hot out today, In mixed driving in dallas on a 100 mile day the highest mine got was water about 185 and oil right aound the same

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #7 PV Dirk, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
    I think it would be hard to compare 1 fan and 2 fan cars. As above, my 87 has two fans and when they kick on it stops the heat from rising at about 195. Mine has never gone over that. As the second entry says though, you are within spec. Hopefully some single fan guys can comment I think that is where your comparison will be.

They are expensive cars, you might consider installing a second fan for peace of mind. But I don't think you are out of spec. My oil gets quite hot as well. Takes a lot longer but will build heat throughout a drive.

You are also doing some extreme driving, TX heat and humidity. You don't say if it's open road or city traffic. If you aren't getting hotter than you list sounds like it is working. Do you know what point you fan kicks on?

8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    2-fan Mondial in Hong Kong: 195/210 max regardless of situation. A tad lower on the highway due to more airflow.
    I'd add a second fan just to be on the safe side; I am not so sure how close you want to get to the max. stated in the manual. The sensor picks up the temp. at one point. Is it really the hottest? Or the most convenient so it can be replaced? And all your gaskets are possibly not the newest either. Fans are cheap, and the wiring is already there. Almost plug'n'play.

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    +1.

However, I would be really surprised if the temperature rise is due solely to being single fan. Those are some pretty high gauge readings he is getting. These last few summers in PA have been record breaking for heat an humidity and my temps have never exceeded normal.

Even with a single fan, I would imagine that once he got moving his numbers would drop to the normal range. Its unclear from his post, but assuming his numbers are that high when driving, either there is problem with his cooling system or a problem with the gauges. Just my. 02

10. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    #10 Jeka, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    These are my normal temperatures (Mondial 3.2 with 2 fans). Under normal circumstances the water temperature is 160 fahrenheit and the oil temperature is 180 fahrenheit. After a fast drive the water temperature increases to 180 F and the oil temperature to 195 F.

11. ssrealty

ssrealty Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Warren
    Water temperature is a little lower at cruising speeds (around 195). Takes a while for oil temp to hit 210. Most of my driving is in town with light traffic. I did unscrew radiator screw to bleed system. Some air came out. Will see if this makes a difference.

12. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #12 jgoodman, Jun 6, 2011
    That odometer is at 157,000 km! Awesome! Hate to change subject but is that with the OEM engine or was it rebuilt along the way?

By the way, I too am with the masses at water temp 195 and oil 210 max ever. I think the cabin temp maxes out somewhere in between oil and water temp on a very hot day as well.

13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #13 JoeZaff, Jun 6, 2011
    It could make a big difference, depending on how much air. The fact that your car was burping a bit of coolant is indicative of air in the system, though I have heard that most burp a little from time to time. The way the system is designed it can take a few good tries to get all the air out of the system. A good trick is to get the car warmed up, put it on an incline nose forward and bleed the air out. Otherwise, some of the air can just sit near the cars midsection and takes forever to get out.

Have you checked the waterpump? How about the radiator? Again, as I said earlier, it could be a simple issue with faulty gauges, but I would definitely be cautious until you can determine the cause.

14. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #14 PV Dirk, Jun 6, 2011
    I had to do a double take on the odometer as well. We just don't drive them as much stateside. Getting close to 100K miles. Should be same engine, they are good for many more. I just rolled over 60K on mine, maybe 70K by the end of summer?

And cooling system, no worries, you just need to put more miles on it. :)

15. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    The engine or transmission never had a rebuild, only regular maintenance (oil every year, belts every 3 years). The biggest repair was the replacement of the clutch @ 120.000 km. The oil consumption is still low, after 1500 miles the oil level is still good. Looking with a endoscope into the cylinders, the hone marks are still visible! I believe these engines are very reliable and durable.

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Thanks for sharing, we need to see these testimonials.