What is low mileage? | FerrariChat

What is low mileage?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Fcarhappy, Feb 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fcarhappy

Fcarhappy Karting

Dec 19, 2012
    Having owned a 550 for six years and recently added a 3.2 cab, I've often wondered how people define "low mileage". A very knowledgeable Ferrari dealer, whose advice I sought on the Mondial purchase commented "....if it has low miles, like less than 40K...". I was asking him about an 88 3.2. So in his definition an 88 with less than 40K is "low miles". So that would be a bit less than 1700 miles a year. By that metric my 98 550 would need to have less than 24K miles to be quote "low miles". I realize this concept is highly subjective but I wonder if anyone has a similar rule of thumb or knows what the consensus is?

2. Roger103

Roger103 Karting

Sep 13, 2009
    Full Name:
    Trim Tab
    If you had a 1947 Ferrari and drove it at 1,700 miles a year as one of your dealers used as an example, that car would have over 112,000 miles on it. Yes 1,700 miles a year is low mileage but when a car has some age on it the mileage gets way too high. I think any car with less than 30,000 miles would be considered low mileage. With less than 30,000 miles most cars should retain the original parts given to it from the factory. Once you get higher mileage then parts need to be replaced which may not be the correct parts anymore because the factory does not support the vehicle or aftermarket parts must be purchased and it starts to lower the car's price down.

Now on the other hand if you going to buy a low mileage car with all of it original parts and start putting miles on it then you going to have to spend more money on that car because those parts will have to be replaced as you put more mileage on it. You having fun with your car and you want it to be reliable. So in this case maybe less than 60,000 miles on a car would be low for a person who wants to drive the car often.

Do you want an all original car with "this is the way it came from the factory" condition or do you want a reliable car to drive? Low mileage definition will vary based upon your answer.

3. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I'm making this up as I go, but I think for Ferraris there really isn't any such thing as low miles. The fewest amount is preferable to much of the market. And anything beyond a certain point is higher miles.

The thing with our cars is that there will always another one out there with lower miles. I'm sure there is a Mondial out there with fewer than 500 miles on it somewhere.

Most people think 70K on my 87 Mondial is low. But not in the Ferrari world.

If someone is concerned about maintaining low miles. I probably wouldn't drive it more than a couple hundred miles per year and most of that would be going to the dealer for annual service. I'm not concerned about it myself. I keep trying to think of ways to put more miles on my car.

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 soucorp, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looks something like this....
    from what I gather from studying the market for a Mondial 3.2 with the hi=$39k and low = $15k
    But I would agree with PV, you don't buy a Ferrari to keep as a Garage Queen, its alot more fun driving the thing !
    I bought mine at 22k miles, now it has ~26k, I plan to drive a lot more this year for sure! The important factor is recent maintenance over mileage.

cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I drive around 1000km per year, but still get 3000km Ferrari driving. Simple! buy multiple cars, and you got best from both; low km's and lots of driving with different cars.

My 1985 Mondial cab got 40tkm's, that's second set of tyres...

6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Agree. What's the point of having a Ferrari and NOT driving it? Saving it for the next guy?

Depreciation is simply part of the cost of ownership, and these cars are pretty fully depreciated.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. Fcarhappy

Fcarhappy Karting

Dec 19, 2012
    Was just curious, totally agree with the "drive em or what's the point"---I generally feel the same way when reading the resale threads (I assume most of us are just curious). I plan on being buried in mine unless I get another I fancy more. Just kidding, I'd consider it sacrilege to plant a piece of art in the ground---unless I could be convinced that the Egyptians were actually on to something with that whole tomb thing.

8. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    Mileage doesn't matter to me, I would rather have a proven, reliable car, with high miles and a good maintenance history, then questionable "low mile example" I am a newer member but in reading all the threads, one common theme seems to be repairs due to not driving/using the vehicle. Some of these cars are low miles because they won't start or the driver has little faith in its reliability for a long summer drive. I will agree they make great garage decorations and driveway ornament's, but I prefer to let the miles roll up without consideration. They were made to drive, and enjoy. sitting in a garage accomplishes neither. Remember these cars can go well into the 250,000 mile range with proper maintenance

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Nice graph Mike, I think this is a nice snapshot in time. In time both these lines could shift a bit. It would be fun to remake this graph every 10 years to see what if anything happens.

10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #10 soucorp, Feb 9, 2013
    Thanks PV, if the Dino 246 is any indication of future values, the Mondial should go up in general no matter what the mileage is. You can't even find a Dino less than $100k no matter the mileage, up to $400k+. Yes, truly interesting what the next 10 years will hold for our Mondials.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ferrari Dino 246 GT
    Manufacturer Ferrari
    Production 1969–1974
    3,761 produced

Ferrari Mondial
    Manufacturer Ferrari
    Production 1980–1993
    6,884 produced
    3.2 cabriolet Model only 810 worldwide/449 units in US made

11. Fcarhappy

Fcarhappy Karting

Dec 19, 2012
    Don't mean to be critical because you did me a favor in even providing the table but the statistician in me noticed something. The total built doesn't reconcile with the table figures---off by 760 cars. Set me straight on what I'm missing here.

12. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nice analytical work there, Wiki quoted 6,884 Mondials were produced, if you add up the chart, its only 6124, a diff of 760 as you stated. The chart stats came from this thread which I believe is to be correct: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/391298-mondial-3-2-vs-t-2.html. I'll dig around for a more trusted source.

thanks

13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #13 soucorp, Feb 9, 2013
    from the horse's mouth: www Ferrari .Com
    All Models

The real production numbers seem to be:
    TOTALS = 6149
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    8 Coupe = 703
    QV Coupe = 1145
    QV Cab = 629
    3.2 Coupe= 987
    3.2 Cab = 810
    T Coupe = 858
    T Cab = 1017

8 The Mondial 8 1980 coupe was produced between 1980 and 1982, in the road car odd number chassis sequence in the range 31075 to 41727, with a total of 703 examples being made.

QV Mondial Quattrovalvole coupe 1982 models were produced prior to the chassis number 75000, from which point both odd and even numbers were used for chassis numbers, thus all cars in this series carry odd number only chassis numbers. They were produced between 1982 and 1985, during which time 1145 examples were produced, in the chassis number range 41737 to 59131.

QV Mondial Cabriolet 1983 models were produced prior to the chassis number 75000, from which point both odd and even numbers were used for chassis numbers, thus all cars in this series carry odd number only chassis numbers. They were produced between 1983 and 1985, during which time 629 examples were produced, in the chassis number range 47247 to 59163.

3.2 Mondial coupe 1985
    From chassis number 75000, odd and even numbers were used for the road production cars, and Mondial 3.2 model production spanned this figure thus they have odd numbers up to this figure, and odd and even above it. The model was produced in a total of 987 units from 1985 to 1989, in the chassis number range 58277 to 79671.

3.2 Mondial Cabriolet 1985
    From chassis number 75000, odd and even numbers were used for the road production cars, and Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet production spanned this figure thus they have odd numbers up to this figure, and odd and even above it. The model was produced in a total of 810 units from 1985 to 1989, in the chassis number range 59393 to 78895.

Mondial T coupe 1989
    From chassis number 75000, both odd and even numbers were used for the road production cars, thus, as all Mondial t coupés were produced post this number they have both odd and even chassis numbers. The model was produced between 1989 and 1993, with a total of 858 examples made in the chassis number range 79596 to 97698.

Mondial T Cabriolet 1989
    From chassis number 75000, both odd and even numbers were used for the road production cars, thus, as all Mondial t cabriolets were produced post this number they have both odd and even chassis numbers. The Mondial t cabriolet was produced between 1989 and 1993, with a total of 1017 examples made in the chassis number range 80339 to 97733.