What is a Mondial T cabrio like to drive? Sports car or GT? | FerrariChat

What is a Mondial T cabrio like to drive? Sports car or GT?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by alexwagner, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Hello,
    I have a 512 TR, which is most definitely a sporting GT rather than a sports car.

For contrast, I would like to add a Ferrari open top sports car.

I was considering a 348 TS (or possibly Spider), although I would certainly apreciate the practical aspects of a Mondial T cabrio, especially as a have a young child (while I do have an E39 M5 for family trips, I would prefer a Mondial T cabrio for sunny holidays!).

My question:
    - Is a Mondial T cabrio similar to a 348 spider to drive? Maybe for flexing and more weight, but how different does it feel?
    - Is a Mondial a sports car (like an air-cooled 911) or more of a GT tourer?

Thanks,

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #2 paulchua, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Alex,

I've never driven a 512 or 348 --- so I can't give you a valid a-b...but I have driven

NSX
    Supra MkIV
    S2000
    Skyline R34

etc...

The Mondial is more GT than sports car for sure...but the thing that makes it stand apart is it has Ferrari-esque elements.... fast/high revving engine that makes all the right sounds, a connectedness to the road, brash mechanics that really make you feel you're driving more a motorcycle than a car.

It's not 'fast' by today's standards, but it certainly "feels" that way because it doesn't have any of the electronic aids, sound deadening, NVS stuff. Having the engine right behind you with the full open top and flat crank engine screaming its F1 like wail : nothing short of addicting...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Paul does sum things up nicely.

While I don't have a Mondial t Cab I do own a 3.2 Coupe and a 348ts. Here's my comment to a similar question in another thread, "The t Coupe is an excellent luxury performance GT while the 348 is a pure sports car. There's an apples and oranges difference in regards to handling as well."

4. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    I just got a 92 Mondial, and never drove a F car. The #1 thing for me that I noticed is how smooth the car rides, my guess is the long wheelbase?

5. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #5 Rapalyea, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    Reading Pauls recent magazine additions the Mondial has an entire foot more wheel base. That sounds a little high, but thats what it said. I have an 86 coupe that is very tight, all the good mechanicals as pointed out above. I wore first set of tires out in 6,000 miles and handling satisfies me. But its not a Lotus 7.

One thing to remember. The earlier cars, like mine, do not have power steering. That took some getting used to. No parrallel parking where I live. Thank heaven.

PS: Tires make a big difference. The Perellis I wore out gave the car a juggly feel. Thought that was how it was supposed to be. Switched to Continentall ExtremeContact Summer DWs at 40 psi all around. Very tight Gt feel. The were invisible even at an indicated 120mph.

6. alexwagner

alexwagner Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2013
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Alex Wagner
    Helpful comments guys, thanks.

I will go ahead with a 348TS to contrast the 512 TR and, if I have further means later, I'll be happy to add a Mondial T cabrio, to cover all the bases! That would be just awesome...

7. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Alex, similar to Wade, I had a Mondial 3.2 for 2 years and sold it for a 348ts and will never look back. The Mondial is an excellent car, very popular if you want the extra passengers but is no comparison to a 348. I had so much fun in it as my first Ferrari and the compliments were never ending. I was sad to see it go but made the right decision.

I know the Mondial T shares the same engine as the 348, similar to how the 3.2 Mondial shared the same as the 328 but is a totally different driving experience and a huge improvement all round. Build quality and finish are also of a higher standard but take your time to find a good one, whether it's a Mondial or 348. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers.

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    No matter which car you buy, both are WAY too cheap for what they are. And at actual price you can't go wrong. I still miss my Mondial for all what it was.