What is a Dali Divine Comedy woodcut worth? | FerrariChat

What is a Dali Divine Comedy woodcut worth?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by GrigioGuy, Feb 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #1 GrigioGuy, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know, art can't be priced, etc.

However, I am looking at a framed unsigned woodcut and curious what the real world price is for one of these. It's the Hypocrites, and it seems to be in dang near perfect shape.

Random internet image attached below. I really need to make a decision in the next day, so any advice is appreciated. For what it's worth, I find the piece fascinating.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    4 words; LOTS of fake Dali

3. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Any certification of authenticity by a reputable and credentialed appraiser?

Sure, it's a neat piece, and I'd buy it for that alone if priced right.

Don't pay a Dali price if there's no conclusive proof that it's the real thing. If you don't have that proof in hand, take a deep breath, count to 5, and walk away.

4. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    one word in your description says it all: UNSIGNED

Dali, Miro, Picasso, Rembrandt, Durer - ALL famously forged for decades.

BEWARE.

Don't buy "big name" art that is unsigned without a proper provenance
    and verification of signature (Dali had 5 different signatures). A COA
    from a gallery can be as suspect as the art itself.

Jedi

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    There are a ton of Dali fake prints out there, but there are also a ton of real signed prints too. He made money later in his career by doing high run signed prints of his works. Dali is my favorite artist and a signed print has been on my want list for awhile. It has been several years, but I believe a solid signed print with provenance goes for $2-5k.

6. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #6 Jedi, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
    +1 We have a signed, numbered Dali with full provenance - from the Japanese fairy-
    tail series (the angel flying past Mt. Fuji) - H.C. edition (Hors d'Commerce for those who
    care) 2/25 - was $5600 two years ago. That is a pretty good snapshot of the market
    for REAL Dali at that time. The Dali family still owns all the 1/xxx H.C. editions of that series.

Jedi

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yup - I talked a friend out of buying a few fake "signed" Dali pieces in '83 from what "appeared" to be "legitimate" sellers to the average bargain-hunting tourist in the average bargain-hunting tourist town. I believe it was '84 or '85 when a huge ring [including location we were at, of course] was busted, but, did nothing to stem the actual tide.

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    re: signed/unsigned -- this woodcut is supposedly from the first 'limited' edition, the ~4700 prints that were not signed. According to my research, there are later variants that had a signature printed into the woodcut, but it was not a real signature. The gallery also has some the prints that Dali signed in series of ~450.

The unsigned woodcut is listed at 1500, the signed ones (but not that image) at 5K. I can't swing 5K on what is really a useless luxury, but 1500 is right at the edge of my pain point.

The gallary is Franklin Bowles, seems to be legit, and I've seen the books from which the woodcut is allegedly removed.

Thoughts? Help?

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Buy unsigned work if you like the picture and can afford the price. It's your
    money - if you like it enough and trust the source, buy it. I just don't buy
    unsigned work with no provenance. Been there done that - got screwed.

But like with Ferraris - the PPI of art is a 3rd party appraisal. You should
    be able to find a reputable appraiser for a couple bills in most any town.

Jedi

10. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #10 teak360, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
    I met one of the most prolific Dali forgers in CA back in that era. He was really a great artist in his own right, but made lots more faking the Dali stuff. He could crank out a very good fake in a matter of a couple of days. He spent time in jail for it, but he figured he still came out ahead $ wise. There is more fake Dali stuff than any other I believe.

11. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I've found the art world a nightmare for fakes, I only buy painting from auctions these days.

12. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

So perfect it looks like it could have been made yesterday!

13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    As a followup: I ended up passing on the piece. Thanks for the advice.