What is a collison fixed Mondial worth? | FerrariChat

What is a collison fixed Mondial worth?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by RichardAguinsky, Feb 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    I am contemplating on a 1984 Mondial Cab. It is white with red interior. 54K miles. 30K mile service done 3K miles/4 years ago, . Clutch still has about 2K miles life left on it. Tires are ok. Rag top is ok. Interior is ok.

Here is the problem: the previous owner was in a car accident. I am not sure the extend of the damage. All I know is that there are receipts for the fix from Ferrari of Orange County for about $17K, about 8 years ago. The title is clear, it does not state salvage on it.

Per the receipts, lots of new things were put on the car to fix it.

I have not seen or driven the car. I will take it to a garage to lift it and see the extend of the damage. I take it that since a Ferrari dealer fixed it, the $17K is way overpriced and I assume that the car must be straight now.

Before I do the 7 hour drive to test drive it: what is this vehicle worth? High $teensK? Low $20sK?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hard to say. A white-over-red Mondial cab with 54K miles isn't a hot market item (for all it's charms...), and it's due for a major service. $20K is probably retail money for it, and plan on another $3K-$4K straight off to service the car.

Regarding the accident damage, if it was fixed at Ferrari of OC it's probably fine -- but the dealer should have records of what was done. I'd want to see those. $17K is pretty big money for body repairs to a modern-ish Ferrari. A replacement bumper, grille, radiator, etc., isn't the end of the world, but those also wouldn't add up to $17K unless metal was bent.

At the risk of putting your dream on hold, I'd say keep looking unless you're really smitten by white Mondial cabs. I think it would be a difficult car to sell if/when you decided to move on.

3. jh355

jh355 Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Halluci-Nation
    Full Name:
    Craven Morehead
    Richard,

The accident stigma will follow the car around for life, and have a diminished value effect, don’t be the guy to pay sticker for this car. As pointed out previous, White / Red isn’t the hot lick resale setup. I hate to value a car not PPI’d, but as a data point, I paid 9k for an 83 Euro Mondi a couple years ago, car had problems, but drove it home.

Just because the car escaped the dreaded Salvage title doesn’t mean it was fine, it’s simply a negotiating point with the insurance company to keep them from reporting it, and usually cost a few hundred dollars in claim money.

Best of luck

4. RichardAguinsky

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    Thank you for the messages. I'll call my insurance agent also.

Is $24K too much for this vehicle?

Agsin, I am not looking for a garage queen, but something to drive, enjoy and not worry if I screw something up when I do my own repairs or take the dog for a ride on the back seat.

Thanks,

Richard

5. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My take is WAY to much to pay. JH355 just said he paid 9k for a "needs work" Mondial. This one sounds like it needs work and (as others said) White/red is close to sale proof. High milage (in Ferrari terms), needs a major, needs a clutch, accident damage at one point.... I would guess it's in the ten to low teen price. My red/black 308 was $24k and it didn't have accident damage or impending needs when I got it. A Mondi should be less....

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes.

7. RichardAguinsky

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    I'm waiting for the VIN number to get a CarFax report. Though from the replies I am getting, it appears that this is another Ferriri that i'll have to pass on.

I have been looking for about 8 months now, clicked on every website, called many dealers, private parties, and I only find Mondials expensive garage queens or in bad shape. Where are you guys finding these vehicles for low $20Ks in good shape?

BTW, this white/red is a Hollywood car, a special effects guy that did Pirates of the Carribean, Bad Boyz, Spiderman, etc. grammy award kind.

8. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Took me a little while (about 8 months?) to find the right car. And even though the car I purchased wasn't geographically where I wanted it to be (clear on the other coast), it was the right car for the right price, so I purchased it after an inspection. Are you set on only a cabriolet, or would a coupe work for you? And are you only looking at particular colors?

9. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Im not fond of the Mondials but if I were to get one, it would be this one.:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137381415&postcount=1

Taking into account that (costly) repairs will be made to bring the car to a better, driveable condition, I would just spend a little bit more change and find a better example. It'll save you the headaches down the road!

10. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Body work, done right wouldn't really bother me that much on a car like this. It's never going to be the investment piece that a 275gtb4 cam would be. And, frankly, a high end car like that with old, properly done body repairs will run up to within a few percent of a never repaired car. The bigger issue is getting the price to match the value and the intended use. To you nad the next three or four buyers, it's an interesting driver with a need for a clutch and a big pimple in its past. Also, it's white. If you like white, rejoice but don't plan on it as an investment. To me, it's worth $20k. No mas.