what if….(pricing)… | FerrariChat

what if….(pricing)…

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Statler, Dec 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    We've known some friends who on one hand were very lucky because their 80s lamborghini/Ferrari boxer etc. took off, but on the other hand stopped driving their cars because they were now worth sooooooo much more than when they were bought.

Many say the Mondial will never be afflicted with this dilemma…. but…

If prices triple (or more), what would you do?

If in 10 years you know a Mondial would sell for 150K, what would you do today (other than buy all of your friend's cars for 30 of course).

When I picked up my car from its major, my mechanic let me know of a few buyers asking for close to double what I paid, and nobody selling…

So..

Do you drive it like you are doing now, or do you retouch every stone chip and put it away in the garage like a countach?

I posed the question, so I'll go first: While I may debate about selling at some price point (first dibs to Joe, the previous owner), I currently think she's not for sale at any price. I would ride out a bubble and occasionally yell at myself for not selling at the high point, but I plan to keep dropping my kid off at school in the car and then sliding out of the parking lot and redlining her off for a drive the long way to the office (arrive at about noon).

So if she goes ballistic in price, look at it as I had the opportunity to drive tens of thousands of miles in a great Ferrari in fun easy school runs, harder backroad runs, trips to the winery for cases of wine, long vacation road trips out of state, great dinners trips out with my wife, fun road trips with towels on our knees for water drips at the corner of the top, etc.etc. BEFORE I could not afford to do it.

So who's next? What do you do now if tomorrow she is like a Dino?

2. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    (a related thread would be about wives/significant others…. the type who buy monogrammed drip knee towels for a car so that long road trips in old Italian convertibles are no problem are keepers. The ones who scowl and ***** and moan about such cars are no fun and must leave immediately)

3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I drive my Mondial, no matter what. And I take care of her like a young child: whatever she needs, she gets it, no budget cap. That's what commands a higher price (or should, imho). Low mileage cars that sit still go bad much more frequently than regularly driven and maintained cars.

Collectors ruin the ownership purpose and experience. Don't give in!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

EDIT - Buying her at 44.500km on the clock I still have room to drive her without worrying about future value in terms of kms. Even so, I believe the Mondial is seriously and ricidulously undervalued today but won't reach millions in the future. Two seaters seem to scoop most of the glory.

4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I'd be gutted if prices go up on the Mondial ;-(
    BUT, alas I think it's going to happen.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If the value of the Mondial raises so high that it becomes undrivable then what's left, a beater 430? With 10 times the maintenance cost as well (duh... beater). :)

6. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    There are two types of buyers on any car. 1) Those who save it up; and 2) those who use it up. I buy a car to use it up. For instance, I own a 50 year old Corvair Monza convertible and have been driving it since 1980.

The Mondial is now my daily driver. In 18 months or some such I have already worn out one set of tires. Now at 8,000 miles and never been towed off the side of the road. It will not ever tripple in value, but if I did I would simply say I bought low and am holding. Or more precisely, driving the hell out of it.

For an investment I recommend American Water Works. Or watever the latest name is. They increase dividends every year way above inflation. I think......

7. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    If I wanted to make money on an investment I would buy stock in IBM, Apple, HP and SpaceX. Just to name a few.
    My Mondi is for me to have fun. That is just what I do, have fun. I'm not saving it for the next guy.
    I'm way underwater with this car anyway. I'm about to sink some more into it. It is just too much fun.
    So I would do exactly what I am currently doing even if I could sell it for $200K.

DavidJ

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    If my Mondial went to 100K overnight I'd sell it in a heartbeat. Unless inflation killed that 100K. I have too many other goals that 100K would help with. At it's current value I personally don't belive there is a better car available.

9. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    I know this sounds dumb, but you can't drive money.

10. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Had mine out on a cool Maryland day today. It was sweet. my girl is getting ready for a 3.2 and nicks ignition, a new clutch, belts, tensioners etc. I love my car for two reasons. #1 it's a Ferrari. #2 if it breaks or needs maintenance I can fix it. You can keep your 430

11. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Like PV Dirk, I also would sell her.
    The bucket list is way too long.
    But, I would like an Italian V8 in return

12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    My girlfriend and I are toying with the idea of buying a Mondial purely as investment (alongside the 308 that I have for enjoyment). What would be considered the ultimate Mondial? I'm thinking of a Mondial t cabriolet in red/black with less than 40k kilometers in original condition.

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    To invest, buy stock in Alibaba, Facebook, Tesla etc.

Buy a Ferrari because you like to drive your money around before you stop being around.

14. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Purely as an investment, I'd recommend the 3.0 QV convertible (629 units made), the rarest version of the Mondial.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

15. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Well... I currently have two coupes. I would absolutely sell one and keep the other.

My dilemma would be which one to sell!

16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Purely for investment would mean one having the broadest appeal (ultimately); then the t as you suggest but with a tan interior instead. Sundrenched black leather anywhere in the South (East through West) is of little interest to convertible buyers. Plus red and tan is an iconic representation for a Ferrari.

17. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #17 jgoodman, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    As the example in your example, you still drive the Mondial because while it may appreciate, it's really just a fun car that happens to come from Maranello and shares a family lineage with some incredible automobiles that many truly love and are passionate about.

However....that does not mean that Mondial owners have the ideal car with the perfect components to make it highly desirable and hence highly valuable. While production numbers are reasonably low, similar in fact to the Countach, and way lower than other Ferrari's like the Testarossa, it's just not truly rare. It's not the perfect Ferrari in terms of speed by any means, or in terms of looks. While good looking, it's not not sexy curvy good looking like a Dino, or bad ass like an F40 or Countach. And it wasn't idolized by the media and public at its inception, even though it evolved into a super car. Also the majority are fuel injected, further lowering the collector appeal of looking at a stack of Webers. And back seats? While I personally love that aspect, it's not congruent with the image of a Ferrari. It's just too practical of a car for the real world to become an object of collectibility.

You can enjoy a classic collector car like the Mondial in many ways that are more enjoyable than doing the equivalent in a car like the Countach. Because the Mondial is so useable, they tend to get driven. Because of the pricepoint for the past 20 years, they tend to get purchased by budget conscious tifosi, which is a totally different market than the collector market. There truly are few sub 10k mile mint condtition examples. My Mondi, while Classiche Certified and in a major Hollywood movie, and multiple concours award winning car, with a full service history beginning with my ownership, is clearly more valuable than the pack, now has almost 50k miles! Miles alone scare buyers of cars, and particularly Ferrari's. It's a driver after all of that energy and investment. It is wrong for owners to assume that because one example of a classic car has increased 3 fold, 5 fold, or 10 fold from purchase price that theirs will command the same money. Most Mondials are drivers and will never be worth the garage queen equivalent. I've driven my Countach less than 150 miles since purchase. I've drive the Mondial more than 20,000 miles since purchase, including today in 32 degree weather. That alone tells you something.

18. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    When I bought my Mondial, I intended to keep it for a year or two, sell it, and then buy something else fun. That was six years ago. I won't be selling it in the foreseeable future, even if it rises in market value to three or four times what I paid for it. I'm not an automotive speculator.

If, in 10 years, my Mondial would have a market value of $150K? I'd keep doing what I'm doing. Drive it, work on it, enjoy it.

If we're talking price points, and the question is, "what is the threshold at which I would feel compelled to sell?" I guess that's an interesting hypothetical. I'd have to feel confident that the market was grossly over-valuing the car. I'd have to realize that while I haven't found any other cars that check the boxes of enjoyability and useability the way it does, and maybe I'd have to settle for replacing the Mondial with something lesser but pocketing the difference, that difference would be more than compensatory for the downgrade. All right, you've talked me into it. First $200K takes my car.

19. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    If you don't live first class your children will!!! Enjoy life, buy a Ferrari!!!!

20. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Well as you all know guys I don't own my Mondial anymore but the exemple can be applied to any cars. I still own my old 308GTB and now a Testarossa. No matter what they will ever be Worth I will always drive them as long as I own them. I buy my cars because I like them not as invesment. If they happen to inncrease in value that is great.

Did you stop living in your house because it's value raised?

21. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Exactly!!

No, you borrow out all the equity, go upside down on the mortgage, and then wait for the government to bail you out................. :)

Regards,
    Jerry

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    One 'upside' on having a car with a lot of mileage is you don't ever feel 'guilty' for driving it!

My car has way to many miles to ever be seriously considered for collectors (48K) - so when I put miles on it - I don't have that guilty feeling of hurting it's collectors value --- it's mine - all mine!!!

haha

23. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Paul gets it. I do confess at 27.600 miles I feel "guilty" at times, but I've put more than 320 miles on the clock this past summer. I just don't feel all that inclined to drive her during the Winter. Rain, snow, slush, ice = Rust!!! But whenever I do drive her, I can't help thinking: "I can't help myself! How on earth did I manage to refrain from driving her last weekend?!".

I hate speculators, specially when it comes to Ferraris. Drive, enjoy, have the time of your life and to hell with them! Don't let them hamper your Ferrari ownership experience (present and/or future) in any way!

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I never feel guilty about driving any of my cars, period. I look for reasons to drive.

25. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I do not recommend buying a Mondial as a financial investment. First of all Ferrari dealers treat them like lepers. I could not even get Ferrari Atlanta to FIND one for me. I am reluctant to even turn it over to them for maintenance. So I have a local sort of NASCAR guy do the work because he finds it entertaining to him.

Eventually it may happen that so many of them have actually been DRIVEN to death they might become rare in 50 years. I drive mine as if it were and MGB. It is a practical machine with Ferrari Characteristics and I have worn our my first set of tires in 5,000 miles. And I am working hard on my second set of tires.

This is a manly sports car and I have much doubt many of the later owners with their supper supper cars could even keep control of their vehicles following me locally in my own environs. But I could be mistaken. But if they have less then 5,000 miles on the clock I won't even bother with them. To damned dangerous.