What I have done to my Mondial T | FerrariChat

What I have done to my Mondial T

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DavidJ, Mar 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I am starting my 4th season with my Mondial T.
    I thought it might interest current owners as well as future potential owners on what I have done to bring my car up to snuff.

I purchased my 1990 Mondial T, Rosso Corsa over Tan Cabriolet in April 2012.
    I purchased it at below market price. It was due for a engine out service at the end of the 2012 season. I used this fact to get the car $5000 below asking price.
    Upon getting the car flat bedded to my location and registered/insured. It was off to Auto Elite in Tenafly, NJ, about 45 minutes away from me.
    I asked Mark and Vinny (the chief mechanic) to give the car the once over. The most important things to check (for me) was the steering, brakes, suspension. They found leaking right rear shock. That was replaced and a "normal" yearly service was performed; oil/filter change etc.
    I drove the car somewhat timidly this first season out of fear of breaking something.
    The car survived and was parked for the winter.

At the start of the 2013 season I dropped the car back at Auto Elite and the engine-out belt service was performed. I also had all of the original fuel lines replaced, the rollover valve was replaced, and an original tensioner arm that had cracked was replaced with a Hill Engineering unit. New plugs and wires were installed. I had the intake plenum/runners stripped and powder coated. The engine compartment was cleaned up. The car was detailed. There were some other minor items that were addressed as well.
    The car drove like a completely different car and it looked perfect. Happy face!

Prior to the start of the 2014 season I decided to have the front end of the car rebuilt. The rack was rebuilt, new bushings installed, full alignment was performed. An under body crossmember was rebuilt. One of the electronically adjustable shock motors were rebuilt and the two front shocks were also rebuilt.
    This was a huge change in the handling characteristics and smoothness of the ride quality. Happy face!

This year I am having some cosmetics addressed.
    I was unhappy with a partial repaint that a previous owner had done to the driver door and right rear fender. I had shown the car a lot and the paint in these areas was changing color due to the UV exposure. There was also a small area on the drivers door with some surface rust and the driver side front fender has some paint peeling around the wheel lip area.
    So, off the the body shop (Skyelight Auto Body) for these items to be addressed as well as having the interior of the doors coated with POR-15 rust inhibitor.
    Now back at Auto Elite for new Wilton Wool carpets (changing to black from tan), Aluminum pedals will be installed, the convertible top will be re-installed correctly (the PO had a poor install done), the underbody pan has some rust through in a couple of spots, that will be addressed, a full leather oil treatment, re-dye of the steering wheel and a few other items as well as the yearly service.

Having printed this for the world to see I am certain there are many, many FChatters that are scratching their heads. Why would this nut case drop so much cash into a car that is only worth $40K on a good day.
    Well, I did this because I am having a great time bringing the car back to its glory. I am fortunate to have the funds available to have all of this work done. I am also fortunate to have a wife that understands my passion for the marque that has existed since I was 6 years old and saw my first Ferrari at the NY auto show with my father.
    The final fortunate thing is having a great shop that is reasonably priced, does the best work I have ever seen, anywhere, plus I get a magnificent lunch on Saturdays and I am able to join a bunch of great people that love great cars, great food and great friendships. There were 31 cars in the shop this past weekend. It's like a car show every weekend for me.

I only hope all of the inevitable naysayers can say the same great things about their experiences with a Ferrari. That is of course assuming they actually HAVE a Ferrari.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

DavidJ

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Not just a Ferrari, but a Mondial!!............Case closed.

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #3 hank sound, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi David,

As far as I'm concerned (a true Mondial lover), you have no need to explain or justify your actions as regards your car, house, back yard, nose job or any damn thing else in your life. My God mate, people are sinking hundreds of thousands into cars that not long ago, were considered "less than worthy". Does Dino ring a bell?

You love your car - period. So ......... what if you loved very expensive watches? Would you excuse yourself for buying all of those that you lusted over? Same deal.

Enjoy all that you're able to have - sharing that joy with family and friends. All others don't give a rat's a$$

David - trust me, I'm so on the same page as you.

Cheers,

Hank
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Incaico likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I bow down to your greatness!!!

Aris64 likes this.
  5. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Dave, we understand each other.

6. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Nicely said, we do need a picture or two of that Mondial ;)
    ... And stick with your story.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Following Hank's thinking...

What about those guys who buy the multi-engined offshore fishing boats. Imagine what the total cost per pound for their yearly catch. And I'm not talking about commercial fishermen. ;)

8. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for the kind words.
    I have got a bunch of PMs. All positive.
    Some gave me a good chuckle.
    It seems many of us Mondi owners are cut from the same piece of cloth.
    It is good to be loved and understood.

I can't wait for the climate to actually change to spring time weather, have the potholes fixed and get the car back on the road.

Photos of the new improved interior and paint will follow when the car is back from the shop.

DavidJ

9. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey Hank, I love those wheels on Rachel, what are they and can you still get them?
    David, show us some pics ;-)

10. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Bell, They're Speedline Mistrals, 17", long out of print. Actually, they were available from dealers on your side of the pond, but not ours. I searched for a few years before I found my set. I love the look - and it's still considered OEM !! :) Every once in a while, they pop up for sale.

Take a peek at page 297 of the big coffee table book, "Ferrari" by Lehbrink & Schlegelmilch.

Cheers,
    Hank

11. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Rachel is looking good Hank, the paint on rocker/spoiler/mirrors looks fab as does the shine on the finish!
    What wax are you using?
    Cheers,
    Greg

12. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Hank

nice garage

13. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #13 Burch1, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Depstein15

Depstein15 Karting

Dec 8, 2013
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Donald
    David, what a wonderful story you have shared with us. You are clearly a passionate owner, nicely done and great progress report! Keep posting pics so we can watch progress.