What have you done to your Mondial today! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What have you done to your Mondial today!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by dfranzen, May 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #26 MvT, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    You are right, it was/is 53, just checked. The T5 was from our Fiat that we replaced also 2y back. Regarding the optic fiber bulb. It is a special one, which I never found other then to buy it originally from Ferrari. It has an integrated lens to aim the light into the fibers. It comes has a kit.

2. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I'd like to replace the bulb that supplies the fiber optic bundle with an LED. There was a thread (somewhere in FCHAT) not too long ago about an LED replacement. I'll do a search to see if I can find it.

My interior is completely out of the car right now - it's a great time for me to do the replacement.

The alternative would be a much brighter bulb.

Sid

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    If you find the thread please post it!

I searched, but couldn't find it when I was looking for bulbs for the instruments. It was mentioned in that thread to replace the fiber optic supply too.

I bet it is a 53 or something like that. I ordered a 53 replacment with 4 front firing LED's to use on my turn signal lights, we'll see how they do. If they work for the fiber optic supply, I will post it.

4. 328tobe

328tobe Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Luuda
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/393526-troubleshooting-mondial-wont-start.html

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Yes, I found that thread where he replaced all the terminal ends of the fiber lines with tiny LED's. That is one way to do it, but it looks tedious and complicated in the wiring department, unless you build nukes for a living or something like that, lol!

Someone else replaced the single incandescent supply light source for the fiber optic bundle with a LED bulb and got more light to the panel that way. That is the info I want.
    Alden

6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Can you post a pic of that bulb with some reference (like a tape measure) in the pic for size?
    Alden

7. 328tobe

328tobe Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Luuda
    Alden,

That would be better too just to replace the bulb at the end of the fiber optics than those individual ones. I have been apprehensive at that upgrade because I would eventually break something when I take my center console apart. Here is a thread back in 2007 with the bulb for a Mondial T which I hope is the same as our 3.2.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/168724-challenge-who-knows-where-i-can-get-bulb.html

Luu

8. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Like I thought, it is a variant of a 53, a BA9S:
    20x White LED Instrument Cluster Dash Gauge Light Bulbs Bayonet BA9S 12V New | eBay

I have some of these coming, will let you know if it works for the fiber optic source.
    Alden

9. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi guys ,

I replaced the 12y/o Falken tires in stock size ( 205/55 16 & 225/55 16 ) w/ numerous flat spots when my Dad handed it down to me around 3 months ago. He is already 84 y/o and he cant drive the car anymore. I bought new tires , Bridgestone Potenza . What a difference new tires made w/ regards to handling & ride. It transformed the car. Drove it and it brought a smile on my face. Now I remember why we bought the car back in 2003!

audio research

10. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    now keep driving it ...that keeps the flat spots from occurring!

11. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    I surely will. My Mondial maybe slower than my Porsche 930 but the scream of the engine near redline will give you satisfaction like no other. And in this humid weather in our country the AC works also even if the car has a soft top.

audio research

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I replaced the dim OEM bulbs in my turn signal indicators with LED's. I had previously swapped the 1.5 watt bulbs for 4 watters, the LED's are brighter and safer since they use less power and don't produce as much heat.

These worked:10pcs BA9S LED Bulb White for Ford 2835 SMD Instrument Panel RPM Gauge Light | eBay

These did not work, probably a polarity problem with the bulbs:20x White LED Instrument Cluster Dash Gauge Light Bulbs Bayonet BA9S 12V New | eBay

I left all the other bulbs stock since they are bright enough as is.

I am going to try them both in the light supply for the fiber optics in the center console whenever I can get around to R&R the console.
    Alden

13. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Nothing. I had to work damn it!

14. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Well, I just took off the gas peddle, repainted the worn paint on it with Wurth black trim paint, and cleaned and lubed the pivot and linkage and such. The peddle mechanism is very well made, with two roller bearings in the pivot mechanism. The grease was pretty dry in there, and there is now a noticeably smoother throttle response. You have to remove some of the console trim, two bolts and a clip for the throttle cable. Used new lock washers and some Loctite. Should be good for another 28 years.