What have I done? (New owner - '83 Mondial QV) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What have I done? (New owner - '83 Mondial QV)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by rtking, May 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm curious by your "one per your lifetime" statement. You're talking about current import limitations, only for cars brought from out of the country, not Euro cars previously federalized and registered in a different state, correct? If the latter, then once I register it in California I can never register another Euro car again in CA? If so its the first I've heard of this, how sure are you about that? My father imported a lot of cars in the 70's and 80's before CA stopped that from happening so obviously the one time limitation didn't exist then. I registered a MBZ he imported in the early 80's in CA when I bought it from a friend of his so you've got me thinking I'm done and can't register another Euro car(federalized or not) in CA. It's possible in the forseeable future a Ferrari, Porsche or possibly other car I buy could be a Euro model so I want to be sure. Sorry, don't mean to change the subject of this thread.

Jeff

2. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Jeff,
    Ronny Regan changed that.
    Yes, Any Grey market! (And, only one, per life.)
    The other 49 states are different, thank God.

Edwardo

3. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    WHEW!!! Thanks Goodness! My VIN is ZFFMD14A0000XXXX. US Spec car! Yay!

OK... calling Eugenio now...

Bob

4. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I assume it's per person, not per household so I guess the wife and soon the son could be the registered owners if need be. Moving's not an option, I live in paradise!

Jeff

5. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    jeff,

yes you do live in paradise, and I'm half way to the Stagecoach Inn also.
    ,,,, a nice drive and a Lunch Anyone?

Bob, How about you, I believe it 3 hours up the 101?

Ciao, Edwardo

6. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Looks great! Think twice about changing the interior. In general, I like beige better too, but on this Mondi, that red just looks so right!

7. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Arer you sure it was the same car? I know the owner of a Silver/red 82 Mondial that goes to Americana at Manhasset. He posts here. Doug. His looks just like this one! AND he is selling it:
    http://www.thebestemployee.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151219

8. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Actually they are different cars. His VIN and my VIN are different, and his paint is Argento (silver) versus Grigio (grey.) Interesting that there are two non-red Mondials on Long Island though!

Bob

9. hetek

hetek Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    LI, NY
    Hi Sam -

I've seen Doug's car before. Actually, I first "saw" it on Mike Cannillo's website but Doug beat me to it. :) His is a bright silver color with red interior.

The car I rode in was the graphite gray metallic car shown and it did have the red interior. It is still possible it isn't the same car.

A non-red Ferrari on L. I.? Mine's Sebring Blue with a tan interior! Add another one to the list!

10. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Edwardo & Jeff, I was hoping the West Coast 3x8/Mondial meet might pan-out, but it doesn't look like it will. Once I get the car sorted, I'd love to catch up with you guys.

Stagecoach Inn? I'll have to look that up. Otherwise I was going to recommend a meeting at either the Apple Farm Inn in San Luis Obisbo or a hotel in Santa Ynez so we can go to Solvang or the wineries.

Thanks SJMST! My wife also thinks that the interior should stay red and I'm warming-up to the interior. I most likely will keep the interior red, but add newer black floor-mats to break-up the sea of red inside...

Bob

11. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I think you are on the right track with the interior. I definately think the red works better with the grey exterior, and I don't think tan would look as good with it. Good idea with toning down with the black floor mats, that is the most visible part of the carpet. Also, you could consider putting in new black carpet throughout and leaving the leather red. It is MUCH easier and cheaper to switch carpet color than it is leather. I am going to take out the brown carpet in my Mondial and swap to red when it gets here, and I plan on posting pictures and any helpful tips I discover on here.

12. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    I agree Nathan - but I think my wife is partial to keeping everything "as is." I will be pulling out the seats and carpets when the car gets here so I can thoroughly clean the car. I'm planning to clean the seats and recondition them before putting them back into the car. I am contemplating adding Dynamat to the floorboards and doors to help keep the car a little quieter (thereby increase the Wife Acceptance Factor or "WAF") I've got those window accelerators also, so those will be going into the doors along with a good cleaning and re-application of grease to the window drive assembly.

Egads, I'm already going off the deep-end with this car... and I haven't even received it yet! I've got a message into Eugenio to schedule a future date to have the car gone-over. I'm about to order a case of "Autofrost" (R12 substitute/replacement) for the A/C system. The wheel order is already in for the Voxx Misano wheels, and I've given Carobu a call already to inquire about rebuilding the shocks and making them adjustable so I can lower the Mondial. And, if that weren't bad enough, I'm following both supercharger threads on this website WAY too closely... :)

Bob

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I did the dynamat thing and did not notice the difference as much - what made a HUGE difference was some more modern tech tires - I did not realize the very large component of tire road noise.

You have a great car and will have a lot of fun with it!!

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I'm lost...it has a VLV. What are you pointing out?

15. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I will be very interested to see how those wheels look on your car, and will be even MORE interested in what you find out about the shocks. That definately sounds like something I would want to do with my car.

16. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Okay I missed a comma :D I was pointing out that it is a Qv with a 2v euro setup. non lambda no TPS, but has a divertor valve.

17. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Uh, OK... now I'm lost. Is this a good or a bad thing? And if I want to supercharge in the future, am I in real trouble? And if I have the 2V Euro Setup on this QV, does that mean I have those huge air injection nozzles too? I'm lost!

Bob

18. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Bob,

You will either get a smog pump (bad),,,,,, or electronic pulse air injection (better).
    You might have the USA manifolds with the Injection Nozzles,,, (But) And, BEST to have a 2V Euro set up!!!

(Note, The electronic pulse air injection on the Later Mondial (mondi') only operates on a cold engine,, during warm up.)

19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Bob, you're fine. Jon is trying to replace his valve and we've noticed some differences between the qv's around the early yrs.

you have an air pump and air injectors. as to adding boost, you have the ideal CIS setup :D supports big HP.

20. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Thanks Scott! Woo hoo! Wow, I guess I'm living proof of the adage, "You can't lose all the time!" D'oh! :)

Bob

21. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    I received the title information for the Mondial I bought and realized that I had read a "0" (zero) instead of the letter "D" in the VIN. Running another Carfax on the Mondial, I finally got the history on the vehicle back to 1991. As it turns out, it started (at least in 1991) as a California car. So bringing it back into the state should be much easier since it started off as a California smog compliant car. Whew!

Now what worries me is that, from 1991 to current, the car appears to have been driven 5972 miles. That works out to be 373.25 miles per year. Thankfully I have been in contact with Eugenio...

Bob

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    If the bright red is too hard to take you may find it easier to die it Burgundy (dark red). With the Grigio it make for a nice classy combination.

Going from red to tan may be more trouble than it's worth.