What have I done? (New owner - '83 Mondial QV) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What have I done? (New owner - '83 Mondial QV)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by rtking, May 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    GUMBALL!!

2. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    I was starting to get confused:

rtking has a Mondial Qv coupe
    rfking has a Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet

Clear now.

3. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    LOL! With the wife and son who would want to tag along, it would be the world's slowest Gumball Rally! :p

Bob

4. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan

Yeah, I was right there with you on that one for a while. Took me a bit to figure it out.

5. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    But I bet you could set the record for the "unproven, potentially unreliable Italian car with wife and young son on board" class!! I think the current record is something like 8 days, 14 hours, 34 minutes, 3 bottles of Tylenol, and 1 divorce.

6. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Rich and his wife drove the DeMoise rig to deliver one of my cars. I couldn't have been happier - and the price was right!

Now, the other important stuff----------CONGRATS & drive in great health:)

Cheers, Hank

7. canuck

canuck Rookie

May 11, 2007
    congrats on the car, it looks clean/great. just a thought...why change the interior color? i'm not a fan of seat covers but sheepskins are the way to go for hot or cold climates. I haven't seen a good dye job yet. I understand that at 25 to 30,000 mi a major tunup is in order for about $6,000+-. Did you take that into consideration? How do the inspectors calcualte that? Also, not to offend you but...total selling priice without shipping? I'm a new Ferrari guy too and interested in others' great deals. ($29,000 for "88 Mondial w/33,000 mi and all records and maint.-Ebay) Wait till you feel the excitement of driving and the attention given.
    thanks,
    scott

8. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Actually my wife has convinced me that something on a Ferrari should be red. So we're going to leave the interior as is and just clean the black floor mats really well or, failing that, buy a new set (front/rear) in black.

The major service can be upwards of $6-7K if you pay someone to do it at shop rates. After owning a '82 GTSi in the past, I can say that (IMO) it's important to the buyer to have full service history, but for the owner/seller, as long as you know that the car has been maintained (either by you or a good independent), then the affect on resale may not matter. You're right though - the major is a biggie. I don't plan on selling this car anytime soon and I've got decent mechanical abilities, so I plan to do the work myself.

Price wise, let's just say that the dealer was asking $16,500 for the car and I purchased the car for a very comfortable amount under that. The cost of the car plus shipping costs combined will not exceed the original asking price. Of course, I've exceeded asking price if you factor in the new wheels that I've ordered, window accelerator and the parts to perform the major service. My wife was not amused. ;)

Bob

9. hetek

hetek Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    LI, NY
    See my comments here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132330&page=9

Post #167.

I met the PO at the American Mall in Manhasset, NY. Very upscale type of place. The car was not all dressed up like in the pictures but was clean.

It was a Saturday and the mall was busy with car and pedestrian traffic. I saw the car in the parking lot before I met the owner, so I gave it the once-over without trying to look too foolish (no, I didn't get on my hands and knees to look for oil drips).

As I waited for the owner, several people walked by. I just watched their expressions and almost EVERYONE gave the car a glance. Two gorgeous girls walked past and I heard one say to the other "It's a Ferrari..."

The owner took me for a ride around the block. I thought it was too much traffic for me to drive an unknown car. Also, this was my first ride ever in a Ferrari. Even though it was a short ride, I had an ear-to-ear grin on my face when I got out. I just could not believe that a car could handle the turns like it did. Not a squeal - just like it was on rails!

It had a couple cosmetic needs but it looks like Gullwing took care of them.

Congrats! Drive it in good health! I bet you'll get that ear-to-ear grin too!

10. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Thanks SOOO much for the history! I was wondering what the car's history was, but I haven't asked Frank to provide details about the car. Frank at Gullwing claims that he sold the car in 2004 and the owner traded in the car at the end of 2006 for a Bentley. If it's the antique dealer, I'd like to find out who he is so I can try to get the maintenance history.

First thing I'm doing is changing out the TRX tires and wheels. I've got new wheels on order since the PPI indicated that the tires are beginning to dry rot and are very worn. I also have window accelerators that arrived today, so that will go in to help with the window situation. The timing belt and tensioners will get replaced even though the PPI indicated that they appeared brand new and still had the inked lettering on the belt that hadn't worn away. I'll be ordering R12 equivalent for the AC system and will be flushing all the fluids upon the car's arrival. At that point, I plan to drive and enjoy this car.

I too was looking for a red/tan Mondial - but when I saw this color, I was awe struck. The interior didn't work for me, but it's since slowly grown on me to the point that I am disinclined to do anything but clean the interior and recondition the leather.

Thanks again!

Bob

11. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Bob,

That car rocks,,,, that color combo rocks.

(Love her for what she is.)
    ( BTW,I have 3 days, and a wake up to go for delivery of my 1981 Euro mondi... )

12. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Thanks Edwardo!

3 days until delivery of your Mondial? Fantastic! I'm envious! You'll have your car in time for the long Memorial Day weekend! I am on pins and needles waiting for my car to be picked-up (Saturday, May 26th) and I won't have her on the ground in California until June 11th or so.

Can I ask - your screen name of "350HPMondial" - did you supercharge your Mondial? I think I'm going to be suffering from horsepower envy!

I'm looking forward to meeting other Tifosione of the various club's events!

Bob

13. canuck

canuck Rookie

May 11, 2007
    Hey, congrats again on the car. Putting the numbers together sounds like you did great. Appreciate the mechanical info as I am a very skilled (weekend) mechanic and purchased the Mondial Service manual. Will try to do mt own maint. to save costs.
    Safe and fast driving for ya.
    scott

14. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    Both of which are great cars!

15. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Bob,

My last 85 Mondi Cab, had a NORWOOD Turbo motor in it... It had 350 HP at the Rear Wheels. (It liked to eat clutchs too,,, LOL Good thing they are easy to get to on that car.)

Now, I want a Black Non-Sunroof Coup.
    I just spent $ 480.00 on Paint. (PPG)
    My Euro 8 is an origional Nero Car with Tan interior. (I am soooo happy.)

Your baby is very pretty too!

16. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Thanks Edwardo! Wow - a Norwood turbocharged Mondial? That sounds fantastic! Do you still have it, or did you sell it for the Euro Mondial 8? Nero (Black) on Tan is a beautiful color combination! I can't wait for some sort of West Coast get together!

Bob

17. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Bob, great buy!
    Birdman take a look at his engine pic, Qv with a K-basic distributor body no TPS and a divertor valve. that's a Euro, it's going to be tricky getting it smogged in CA, however the flip side is that that CIS setup is perfect for large HP increases!

Now to go get Jon's attention....

18. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Bob,, is that a Euro?

(It should have elecronic pulse injection, , if you want to Own it in HB.)
    I know people in colorado, thus I had the non-Smog Mondi registured over there.)

19. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    (Scott, have you been busy? check your email and PM's,,, 24mm is what I got. (0.9455'))

20. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Thanks Scott!

It's a Euro car?!? The VIN and PPI indicated that it's a late build (6/1983) US Spec car complete with catalytic converters. I'm hoping that it'll pass the California smog inspection! Hmmm.... I'm starting to get worried...

Bob

21. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Bob,

Euro,,, ! Then it Might pass the 49 other states,, CA has grey market car import limitations, one per your lifetime.

(This is why I went with my 1981 Euro. My car is a 1982 CARB car.. and, has documents on file with them. There is an FCHAT contact with the CA DMV, sorry I don't know his name, He can find your documents, if they exist.
    (CARB = California Air Resources Board)

They might impound your baby, until it is inspected and CA federalized? (Is that even a correct word combo?) Whew, she might even go to car jail.!

Good luck,
    Edwardo

22. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Ed, thanks, Yes I got the msg :) I've been VERY busy this last week/end sorry for the delay in response.

Bob, If it checks as a US spec car, then the distributor body may have been changed, but it is entirley possible that ferrari didn't start the use of the lambda until later or it was a mid year change.

the hard part with smog is that the CIS system you have now has no way of keeping stoic, so if it runs rich it runs rich. if you need help when it shows up for smog PM me and I can get you what you need. there is always a way :D

23. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Thanks Scott and Edwardo. I'll have to see how things go when the car gets here. It is a US spec car - VIN corroborates US spec, and it was registered in New York. I am hoping that the DMV inspector isn't going to dive too deep and I'll be able to sail through inspection.

I think it's going to be prudent to have Eugenio look over the car once it gets here and prior to smogging.

The PPI guy in New York stated that the car looks all original and un-modified in any way. I'm wondering if it is indeed a mid-year change? Did the earlier QV (late 1982, early 1983) QV use Lambda on the Bosch K-jetronic fuel injection? What does not have the Lambda sensor mean overall?

Bob

24. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Better call him now, he gets booked months in advance!

Jeff

25. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    If your VIN reads ZFFHD08A0000XXXXX (Note 8th character is an A.)
    then, all is,,, aaaaa-contair' mon freir. (No problemo. )

If you have a B,, BTW, in CA, B stands for bend over,,,, Here comes the DMV. Lots of standing in lines and $$$$.$$ gone!