What have I done? (New owner - '83 Mondial QV) | FerrariChat

What have I done? (New owner - '83 Mondial QV)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by rtking, May 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Well, I just bit the bullet and purchased a '83 Mondial QV. I am a bit nervous as I haven't seen the car, but I had excellent service from Steve Linden, an independent automotive appraiser in the NYC area, who spent 2.5 hours looking over the car at the dealership. I was especially nervous since there are no service records for the vehicle, but after Steve's inspection and the (IMHO) excellent price for the vehicle, I decided to take the plunge and purchase.

Now the hardest part comes - waiting for the car to be transported to California! :)

Bob

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Congratulations! Welcome to the '83 Mondial club! Post pics when you get it. Who are you using to move the car?

I had a good experience with Intercity Lines.
    Birdman

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Bob, congrats on your new baby I'm sure it's a great car, I know it's hard to sleep while waiting for it to arrive but once it arrive you'll be like a kid with a new favorite toy. Don't forget to post some pics upon delivry.

4. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    I feel your pain.
    I am also waiting,,, (yawn),,, sooo long,,,,,
    8 more days to go.

5. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Thanks for the good wishes everyone! I can't wait to rejoin the Tifosi here and at the club events. I've missed the comaraderie when I sold my '82 GTSi and couldn't bring myself to attend Ferrari gatherings. (kind of the heart-sinking every time I saw a GTSi go by.)

I'm thinking of using Dependable Auto Shippers. I have a quote for $1363 for an enclosed trailer, riding on the top level, with door-to-door delivery. This is from Long Island, New York to Huntington Beach, CA. Does that sound like a reasonable price to pay for this service?

Bob

6. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Since it's enclose then Yes it is reasonable.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Since it has no records, as soon as you get it home do belts/tensioners before you throw miles on it.
    (But you already knew this, didn't you)

Congrats on your new Mondial!

8. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1

9. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Do a search on dependable auto shippers (DAS) - on this site ASAP! You will thank me...

10. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    I used Exotic in the big yellow trucks. They did a good job getting her moved with no dings, dents, joy rides, etc.

11. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m

12. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Agreed! The inspection stated that the timing belt and tensioner looked to be brand new, and that the belt itself still had printing on it that hadn't worn-off, but without service records, there's no way to tell if they were brand new from yesterday, or brand new from 3 years ago. A fresh fluid change is also in the cards for the Mondial. I am thinking of buying Evans Coolant, and I'm going to purchase a R12 equivalent (such as AutoFreeze) to charge the A/C system.

Thanks to everyone regarding your advice about DAS also. I've contacted InterCity and am waiting for a quote from them.

BTW, the Mondial is Grigio with red interior. My plan is to redye the interior to tan. And I'll have to try to fix the headlight switch or send to Verell for him to repair. Hopefully it's the cold solder problem people have written about on this forum. This forum is a phenomenal resource!

Thanks everyone!

Bob

13. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #13 nathandarby67, May 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Did you buy the silver car that was at Gullwing? I thought about buying that one, but the sales guy I talked to a few times seemed a little evasive when I started asking detailed questions about the car, so I decided to look elsewhere and ended up buying an 81 euro model. I still think the silver car is probably a pretty nice car, and it was definately going for a good price. Personally, I LOVE the red leather with the silver exterior, but now it is YOUR Ferrari (doesn't that sound so cool!?), so if you want to change it, go for it!

I would be interested to see how the car turns out when you get it home, seeing as how I was thinking about buying it myself!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I used DeMoise Trk-Ing from CA. to Indiana. They had the best rates hands down and they were excellent. If you're getting quotes, check them out as well.
    I'll use them again for sure!
    Great looking Mondial BTW!! Congrats.

JIM

15. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Hi Nathan,

That's the car exactly! Frank (the salesguy) needed to go and see the car personally in order to answer my specific questions, but he sent me the same photos that you posted on this thread. My main worry was the lack of service history and the fact that the dealer wasn't willing to have the car leave the premises for a PPI. That's where Steve Linden (independent appraiser) came into the picture and did an inspection on-site. I believe Steve was very thorough and indicated that the only substantial issues he could see were the slow windows (needing manual assistance to roll-up), non-operative radio and antenna, and that the A/C was low on freon. (The compressor clutch engaged, which is much more important. I can fill the system with R12 replacement fairly inexpensively.)

I am completing the check now as I type this reply and it's going out to Frank at Gullwing via overnight mail. I hope the experience turns out to be a good one. I think the Grigio exterior is stunning. I will definitely be replacing the timing belt and tensioners first, then replacing the wheels and tires since those are worn and dry-rotted per Steve Linden.

I have to admit - it does sound good to say "my" Ferrari! :)

Thanks again! And I'll check out DeMoise Trucking for a quote too!

Bob

16. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Congrats rtking! That is a very cool (and rare I bet) color combination.

17. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Bob-

Congratulations on a great purchace. I really did like the looks of the Gullwing car! That is great you found someone willing to go to the dealer for the inspection. All the problems you mentioned are minor and can be easily rectified while you are having fun driving it, other that the belts I guess. I am in the same situation with wanting to replace the belts and tensioners when I get the car home. the belts were done last year, but not the tensioners (supposedly the mechanic checked them and said they "looked ok", so they didn't replace them). Some stranger looking at a sealed bearing assembly from the outside and deeming that it "looks ok" doesn't do it for me, especially considering the resulting $10,000 engine rebuild bill if it is not really "ok"! So the trusty old mechanic's saying "might as well while I'm in there" comes into play and I figure I may as well put on brand new belts with the new tensioners, and do the water pump while I am at it. That way I can drive the car worry-free for many miles to come.

I am, like you, in the process of shopping around for shipping for my car (located in Las Cruces, NM). I have found DAS to be the least expensive, followed closely by FedEx/Passport. All the others were $200-500 higher.

18. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Nathan,

Did you buy the euro '81 on eBay? I was looking at that car too! How did you get the owner to respond to you? I sent 2 emails and waited 5 days without a response and wrote-off that car as being an ebay scam. I'm glad things worked out! That car looks immaculate and I'm sure you're going to be delighted with it! We'll have to compare notes when we receive our respective cars! :)

Per the advice from the others, I have checked and DAS has not gotten too many favorable reviews here. I did use them twice before and they were OK, but this wasn't moving a Ferrari across the country. I'm checking the other shipping companies though and I'll let you know what I find out...

Bob

19. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Just love the interior, but then I would cos its the same as mine! Someone told me that only 40 QV's were made with this?

20. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Congrats on a sharp looing car - that Grigio looks especially good! I like the interior like it is, but if you would like to tone it down just a hair for not too much $, would consider just replacing the carpets with black - the contrast to the red leather would be striking and Ferrari offered that as an option as well.
    The priority though, as others have said, is to do those belts/tensioners immediately.

It looks terrific - have fun!

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

He can start out with just black floor mats to see how he likes the contrast.

My Scirocco has a red interior. Seats, carpet everything is really red (I guess it was a 1980 thing). I have black floor mats with red VW's on them. It looks great that way.

22. MondialMondo

MondialMondo Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    You did very well. That car looks sharp!

23. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Thanks everyone for the congratulations! My wife and I are excited! It'll be nice to have a Ferrari that I can take my 9 month old son out in.

I did get quotes from several sources. InterCity wanted $1918 and change, DeMoise wanted $1700 and I've yet to check VIP Auto transport. I hate to say it (and hope I don't regret it) but DAS is still coming in much lower at $1363, and as such is the prime contender.

Bob

24. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Yes, It was that red 81 euro on ebay. How funny we were in the market for the same two cars. Maybe if you ever get tired of yours and I get tired of mine we can just swap for a while! :) I sent the seller an email with about 3 days left in the auction, and got a good, detailed reply with about 4 hours left that had his phone number in it, and I finally talked to him with literal seconds to spare. See here for details, post #139: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116258&page=7

I too saw a couple of bad reviews for DAS. Also, they would not even give me an estimate on shipping time, just saying it could be between 6 days and one month! I called literally every major (and some minor) transport company out there and DAS was the chepest at $1218 from New Mexico to Mississippi (1100 miles). FedEx Passport was exactly a hundred bucks more, and they said total time would be within 2 weeks, possibly as short as 5-6 days, and just generally seemed a lot more professional. Also I have heard nothing but glowing reviews about them, so I figured for an extra hundred bucks, it was worth the peace of mind and likely faster shipping.

Nathan

25. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Thanks Nathan - and interesting that we were both looking at each other's cars! Your car is lovely! I'm glad that you were able to reach the seller and work things out - albeit right down to the wire!

Thanks for the lead on Passport/Fedex. I did an online quote and came-up with $2560 to transport from New York to LA. At this point, DAS is the cheapest by far, so I will most likely go with them. But, if I had the time, I'd be almost tempted to fly to NYC and drive the Mondial back to LA. Of course, I read the trip report from NCMondial (i think that's his screen name) and I'd have to find someone to replace the cam belt and tensioners before I left. This is something I'm still contemplating - it might turn out cheaper in the end for me to just drive the car...

Bob