What happened to the VIP Toy Store on Santa Monica Blvd from 30 years ago? | FerrariChat

What happened to the VIP Toy Store on Santa Monica Blvd from 30 years ago?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by bitzman, Apr 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    It was on Santa Monca Blvd. rifgt near the 405. I think they moved in Marina Del Rey but I hada n idle thought what ever hapened to Sam Black thar ran the plsce? The only person I've seen lately from there is Ed Superfine (which sounds like model of a Ferrsri) who bought a coachbuilt Etype from his own store that has Bertone coachwork. I bought a long nose Iso Grifo thartwas on their lot but from the owner that had consfgned it once they couldn't move it.

2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #2 ag512bbi, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    More like 40 years ago.
    Very familiar with the place. My dad did business with them.
    I remember probably in '79-'80 they sponsored a car or 2 in the Long Beach GP celebrity race.
    Maybe a Mustang driven by Gordon Johncock or something. Mind you I was 12 years old.
    Also I remember, VIP Toy Store owned the 365 GTB/4 NART Spider one off 15965.
    Here is a photo. My father took that car home that night. I got do drive in it with him. He either almost bought it or did buy it for a short period of time.
    Do you have any photos?

Attached Files:

of2worlds and Tenney like this.
  3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Random!
    How Weird, within minutes of my last post, my dad just called me and told me he just got off the phone with Ed Superfine.
    Sam Died recently.

4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    It's funny, all these car guys in So. Cal and no one has any stories or photos of The Toy Store. Would have loved to hear...
    I briefly talked about it with my dad.
    So, Gene Hackman, Paul Newman and Clint Eastwood had a "minor" investment in The Toy Store for the "racing" division. He didn't remember how much, but said it was something like $100k but that number was just a guess.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    so...this is a flashback..I bought a 308 GT4 form Ed Superfon in 1976 or so, haven't heard his name in years. Straightforward deal, good car, drove it 70,000 miles.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Well, you can't get sued for maligning the dead so I'll tell this storyI heard someone say that Sam had turned into a gangster. The only sign of that was when one time he introduced me to a muscle guy in the corner who he said would beat up anybody i wanted, but I couldn't think of anybody. Ed was great and I'm glad he kept one valuablec car from that time, Michelotti bodied Jaguar

Bertil likes this.
  7. rbryson

rbryson Rookie

Jul 14, 2012
    #7 rbryson, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  8. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    AG what about Reggie Pierce as well? Wasn't there the toy store in Florida as well?

9. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I remember the name. I was so young...

10. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    what about Al Mardekian? Think he was Ameri-spec who did the conversions for Boxers and other grey market cars

11. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Al lives 3 houses down from me.
    He was Trend Imports.
    Fritz I think was Ameri-spec.

12. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I remember discovering Al Mardikian's place on Pacific Coast Hihway in Redondo Beach when the Boxer was illegal and yet I pass a shop with five or six of them lined up for repair. I go in and they say "Yes, we convert these" i started to hang out there. They had a congenial mechanic from Italy who would buy 3 Ferraris at a time in the ear;y '70s. One time I was offered my choice of of three GTC/4s for $17,000 each. Sometimes some cars were rough but ut they always had buyers. They ran into a spot of bother and had to close, but I think the door to conversion had been opened and Ferrari realized
    "If we don't make US models they will get to the US anyhow."

13. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    There was an offshoot of it here for about a year being run by Sid Blitz but it's long gone now.