What happened to prices in the ten years I wasn't paying attention? | FerrariChat

What happened to prices in the ten years I wasn't paying attention?

Discussion in '206/246' started by 3omar, Mar 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    Ten years ago, I was in the market for a 246. I did several PPIs on a mix of GT's and GTS's... At the time, the average price for a Euro-spec GT was $50,000... And closer to $70,000 for a GTS... I looked at a couple of Chairs and Flares at the time as well... Those were $85,000 to $90,000. I never pulled the trigger at the time, despite my belief that the Dino is unequivocally the most beautiful car ever built...

I stopped following the market since that time. Recently, I looked at prices and my jaw dropped! What the hell happened?

(This is mostly a rhetorical question, but if anyone wants to comment, please be my guest.)

2. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    What happened to the Dino is the same thing that happened to all collectible Ferrari's, Jag's, Aston Martin's, Porsche's,...

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Simple, you didn't think it was worth it back then.

Others have , and here you are.

You missed the boat, nothing more or less,

As bugs bunny would say - Bon voyage Chris.

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I was thinking the same thing about all of the big muscle cars and what they were selling for ten years ago.

What happened?

Shawn

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Except for the rare editions, the market for American cars, including muscle cars, has dropped. Perhaps that is because so many were made, it is so easy to replicate a special car, and the baby boomers attracted by nostalgia have gotten old or died. In my view, also, perhaps the lack of intrinsic value (cart springs and drum brakes) and focus contributes.

6. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    By the way, ten years ago, Dino prices had begun to climb. The good ones were in the $110K+ range, thought exhorbitant then.

7. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Bought mine at the top of the market. I just always wanted one, to me it's one the the coolest cars ever made. I'm not worried about price, just love going to the garage and seeing it. Most of my friends say the "bubble" will cost me, not worried, I have no plans of letting go. Interesting, I'm here at Amelia and no Dino's at auction. Last year there were several. Personally I think they will continue to increase. Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
  9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I wouldn't say the top of the market.

The modern car pricing does nothing more than stabilize the level of crazy.

10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Interesting that you brought this up it was about 10(or 12) years ago that I was at Corvette Mikes in LA looking at an old corvette when over in the corner there was this Magnificent Dino it was red don't recall the details but I looked it over and sat in it fell in love with it but it was priced insanely at around 100K(don't recall exactly). I looked any the car i came to buy (a corvette) but did not buy it who knows maybe the dino looks so much more appealing to me ...In any case about 2012 or or i did decide to buy a dino at an insane price of around 200K....

and everyday i walk thru my garage on my way to which ever car i drive to work that day ... I just smile looking at my beautiful dino.......

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    That's exactly why the nice yellow car cover I bought a couple years ago has yet to go on the car while its 's in the garage!