What fuel | FerrariChat

What fuel

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by jacques, Sep 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Hi guys. I'm just curious as to what fuel we are using in our 400s and 365s: What octane, brand and compression ratios. I personally use only premium (93) or higher with an occasional bottle of Techron . NGKBP7ES's , BP7EV's. Perfect for my unit. Thank you so much. Jacques.

2. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Jacques
    I use any premium as long as the station had not just had a fuel shippment, no additives
    Fritz

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    93 or better in all my toys

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    And all of us in the US are getting our 10% ethanol like it or not. I knew one station in upstate NY that had non-ethanol gas last year but no more this year. I hear from my local Exxon station some refineries are going up to 12 or 14% as it is cheaper for them to blend.

I upped my CO reading a bit this year to compensate. Reading spark plus is no longer relevant; they always look chalky white.
    Ken

5. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Why is this?

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    to what Ken?

7. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Dave
    I bumped it up from maybe 1.3 to 1.9% as close as meter will read. Not a big change but I felt more comfortable that way. I think you are running over 2% last I remember.
    Ken

8. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    All the water and muck is stirred up every deliver and sold as fuel.
    I know stations that never pumped the water out of their tanks just sell it with the fuel.
    There is a reason you have fuel filters on cars.

9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ken the last time I checked I was running around 2%. Maybe just a tad more, but not much more.

Every "toy" I own runs rich rather than lean. Running lean means you have to watch temps and valves; running rich means you get some unburned fuel in pipes, some soot on the rear panel, and maybe a bit of fuel in the oil. Considering I change my oil every 2,000 miles and every spring and fall, regardless of when it was last changed, I don't worry much about fuel in the oil. (changing the oil in cars is therapy for me so if I change it twice in a week it is still cheap therapy for the soul)

In Texas once you're over 25 years you still have to pass a safety inspection but no more "tail pipe sniffing" so I don't worry much about the 2+%.