What Ferrari is this? | FerrariChat

What Ferrari is this?

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by any_1, Dec 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
  2. lord.brett

lord.brett Formula 3

Nov 26, 2006
    France Normandie 27
    Full Name:
    brett
    #2 lord.brett, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    This is a special Coupe inspired by the style of the Carrozzeria Scaglietti was performed in Australia on the basis of a 400-412. No Ferrari has received this bodywork at the time.

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Brett beat me to the answer.

4. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    Thanx, guys!

5. catalina381

catalina381 Rookie

Sep 25, 2013
  6. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    The car was built by David Levy in Australia. I believe it is on a 400 Chassis. Search David Levy here on the site and there is a whole article on it.

7. Motorace

Motorace Rookie

Jul 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dan Eastwood
    #8 Motorace, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Correction - The rear half (from the windshield back) was almost certainly derived from an Intermeccanica Omega/Torino/Italia Coupe with many modifications - but not from an Apollo. The trunk area with it's beautifully curved duck-tail is nearly unchanged, while the taillights, rear bumper(s), and the external fuel filler on the left rear fender are all different.

The Italia Coupe bodies had a solid sail panel behind the door glass, which could cause some blind-spot problems. David Levy built in side glass where the sail panels were for a much lighter and more elegant cabin that utterly transforms the coupe's cabin. From the 'A' pillar forward the car appears to me to have all-original work by David Levy and I must say the man is a genius when it comes to quality bodywork...

I'd seen an earlier incarnation (photo below) of this vehicle which had two hood 'blisters which were each styled like the single blister over the early (1950's) pontoon-bodied Ferrari Testa Rossas, and were not period-correct for this body's style... I'm glad to see he removed them and smoothed the hood out.

Since the body is not an officially recognized 'Ferrari' style, it may never achieve a resale value that would justify all the work David invested in this car... (and how would a concours judge evaluate it as a 'Ferrari'?) but there's no question in my mind that David achieved a stunningly beautiful result that pays homage to many of the best lines ever penned by Italian stylists or lovingly shaped by Italian craftsmen. With the removal of the two hood blisters, it reminds me in many ways of the uniquely beautiful 'Nembo' Ferraris with a later powertrain.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Two things I like about this car are:

1) It takes a mediocre looking Ferrari and makes it into something a bit more special (no disrespect intended to 400/412 owners! - I actually quite like how they look but they're not the most outstanding Ferrari design).

2) Unlike most cars of this type, it's not actually pretending to be a Ferrari model from the past that actually exists! (Copying a car that already exists is far easier than designing a car to look as though it could have existed "back in the day")