What do you think of this 1989 Ferrari Mondial T Cabriolet? | FerrariChat

What do you think of this 1989 Ferrari Mondial T Cabriolet?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ttn27, Aug 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2 Wade, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Personally I think its worth every penny that they're asking. However, the market will probably say otherwise (my guess, just under $40k).

Now, if it were offered at a different venue like Mecum or RM then it could go much higher.

Very nice car btw... even though it looks like a scale model in fotos. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Assuming the car is in "needs nothing" condition, mid $40's is well worth a low mileage Mondial T. I have personally looked at T's in the low $30's, and every one of them needed at least $10k of mechanical repairs and bodywork.

4. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #4 davebdave, Aug 16, 2013
  5. amer_qureshi

amer_qureshi Karting

Jul 9, 2013
    Harrisburg, PA
    Full Name:
    Amer
    Yeah that picture does look like another cars picture maybe?? The car looks fantastic though..

6. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I was just going to comment on that lol. That's the kind of mistake that makes you question what you're looking at.

7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    It does look like a pretty clean car. Again, nothing is "shined" to make the car look brand new, but rather the car looks like it has aged very well.

Similar condition examples in the Bay Are are running $50K+. I think the price seems pretty fair, but like others have mentioned I would expect that I won't need to do any work after purchase. Recent major service is an automatic assumption.

8. Bxtech

Bxtech Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Ran across this T on CL. Higher miles at 90K, but according to the ad, the car sounds like it's in good condition. If it's as advertised, this is probably a steal at $19K!

Ad Link: 1989 Ferrari Mondial T

Ad Description:

1989 Ferrari Mondial T - $18999

This car is a good daily driver with 90k miles on it. This car is mechanically 9.5 out of 10, cosmetically its an 8 out of 10, and its interior is a 8 out of 10 and it has a clean car facts. This generation of Mondial T is the first of the modern Ferraris. This is a good honest Ferrari.

9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #9 soucorp, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    Im pretty sure it will need a major srv at 90k miles, full engine out at $7500.
    In reality buyer will be spending $26k for a 90k mile Ferrari.
    Looks fantastic and maybe a good buy if you want a second Ferrari as a DD.

10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #10 soucorp, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    Common mistake in the car business, this photo belongs to the 328 gts they prob had photos of and got it mixed up into the ad.

The car does look museum piece and would be a great buy but again, garage queens are bad as the engine, oils, coolant, tires etc all need to be exercised on a regular basis. I think most likely this car with its very low mileage will need a major service and replacement of dry rotted rubber parts. Looks like they had a major done 1200 miles ago but does not mention year that was done. Belts are rated for every 30k miles or 3-5 years.

best

11. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That could be conservative.

I looked at a t coupe a few years ago. High mileage, in very nice shape. During the PPI by a well regarded Ferrari mechanic, there was nothing major, but lots of little things and "while you are in there" things. We easily got to $15k, and again, the car was nice and fairly represented by the owner.

That is not to say a high mile $19k t is not worth, just be aware of what it may need.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    If that interior is 8/10, then mine is concours-level lol...

(After 90k miles, I'd expect it to be worn, but that seems almost uncared for)

13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #13 MvT, Aug 18, 2013
    +1

I'm just an office IT guy that likes working on my own cars, but I think most people don't realise what 20 years of aging does to a car when it sits in the garage. I actually would not dare to drive this beuaty on a long dessert road before taking it apart rather then one with 80,000 on the odo counter.

I just recently purchased a Mondial with 51,000km on it and I can tell you it didn't do any good to the car, besides the body not being rusty. Still working on it to get it on road should not take long anymore :D

Just a simple example of one of the coolant tubes that seemed to be ok from the outside, but when you take it off and turn it inside out it looks like this.

14. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #14 Burch1, Aug 18, 2013
    My manual says 40K miles.... and every 24 months!
    I know this has been debated over millions (at least 100's ;-) of posts already.
    Just adding my less than 2 cents worth!
    Cheers,
    GB

15. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #15 hank sound, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    Chaps, this is a car for someone who wants an "almost new" 89 t Cab. The "almost new" really applies to the mechanicals and all that the eye can see (body condition, paint and int.). A full on major service must be done - that goes without saying. If it were me, in addition to the major, I would change all coolant hoses, fuel lines, brake lines and those very old and dry ignition wires. Also, I check for A/C freon leaks throughout the system and automatically, order and install a Ron Frohock A/C center vent. (you're welcome:))

Yes - - of course - - this isn't a car for a (low) budget minded buyer. If the budget allows for the purchase of this "old new t" and we've got the additional $ to do a proper major + minor "ricambi" ........... OMG, someone has an "almost new 89 Ferrari Mondial t cab!!!"

Cheers, Hank

16. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Right on Hank!

We bought our t with seven thousand miles on it like the car in this thread back in 2007. Not a time capsule but a low mileage car. Sure we could have bought a higher mileage example for less money and less headaches (although there weren't that many problems really.) But we wanted it to feel like a New Car. How much is it worth to watch the Odo click over to 10,000 miles?

However, our car had everything done from Tires to Timing belt by Shelton Ferrari prior to sale. This one may need some work, don't know. But it does have a Capristo exhaust (wish we had an aftermarket pipe.)

If the car doesn't want for much and has a few years left on the belt, I think the price is right.

Dave

17. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Dave,

When you say that you could have bought a higher mileage car for less money and "less headaches" ............. what did your lower mileage car reveal to you as "headache inducing"? Honestly, I do believe we're agreeing and speaking from a common pulpit.

DISCLAIMER - no religious preference, inclination or direction, is implied with the use of the word "pulpit". :):) Got to cover the Shiz-nitz !! :):)

Love to you, Tee & Piano,

Hankie

18. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Hey Hank, Now that I think of it, our initial troubles were mostly attributable to the fact the car had been sitting for 5 years prior to being serviced and not so much from the overall lack of miles driven. After the car was delivered to our home, it ran perfect for about 15 minutes. Then over the next few months check engine lights, suspension computer, slow down light, seat-belt mouse failure, dust from the top and aircon vents in my eyes, etc. However, shortly thereafter we had the problems solved and the car was essentially trouble free for five years. Now, five and a half years later we are getting some oil seeps reminding us that it's time for another major. This time we’ll have to address some of the items on your list like the coolant hoses and brake lines.

I agree that we agree :)

Cheers,
    Dave

19. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
  20. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I just looked at that ad and it has 114,500 miles on it and a whole heap of stuff that needs doing which the seller kindly listed in honesty.

If you start adding up all the work it needs then including bodywork and take into account the high mileage then in my opinion it's not such a bargain, but do look at that list of required work.

Cheers.