What do you think of the Stinger GT? | FerrariChat

What do you think of the Stinger GT?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by arachnyd, Feb 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    I like obnoxious cars, and I can't get the yellow stinger GT out of my head.

The problem is it only comes in the GT trim, and I don't know if I'd want a DD without the GT2 trim with all the daily driver goodies like dynamic cruise.

I think it would make fun DD duty. While I don't like to think of myself as being one of those people thats brand conscious, I still have a hard time imagining driving a "kia", but once I get past the badge I like everything it represents. I also typically buy lightly used, but once again I can't get it out of my head.

I went to check one out last weekend, and the rear seats were a little tight for my liking, but other than that I could see myself owning one.

Not a lot of sedans come with bright exciting colors, nor are many of them fun to drive. This seems to finally offer both.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nurburgringer likes this.
  2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    It's not for me. I'll leave it at that, and as an ex owner of an Evo VIII, I like obnoxious cars too :)

JDZNate likes this.
  3. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I haven't seen one in person yet. I like a lot of it, front end is just OK, the rear is really nice - hard to do for any car particularly a sedan!

4. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Sat in one last weekend and was blown away by the interior quality. Looks like they may be onto something--curious to see how they do in that price point.

5. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Looks great in person and don't think there's been a bad review yet. It'll depreciate like a rock like all Kia's probably do and make a great dd.

LARRYH and TexasF355F1 like this.
  6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    There is a red one near me. I thought it was an Alfa till I looked closer.

7. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I also think Alfa everytime I see the rear end of that car for some reason.

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

From the rear, maybe. Definitely not from the front.

According to one of the the head designers (who came from BMW), "the Stinger's design was partially inspired by the Coca-Cola bottle."

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The one near me is red with gunmetal wheels so I think that may be part of why I think Alfa when i see it.

Tcar likes this.
  10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I don't like cars where most elements are stolen from other manufacturers that put the time in to develop. Then dumped on our markets by those governmentally subsidized corps while we taxpayers pick up most of their defense budget.

"GT2" ? Seriously ?
    Why don't they have an "Enzo" package ?
    Prolly next year.

Next question ;)

ForzaV12 likes this.
  11. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think if one cannot afford the Giulia the Stinger is a great compromise. Otherwise Id just get the Giulia

12. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Saw one at the Cleveland Auto show....so-so as it looks too much like other Kia sedans plus the hood vents are cheap plastic and non-functional...

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    IMO that design is too busy and looks like bits from other designs were mashed together.

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Are you sure??? Kia, of course, is partly owned by Hyundai... don't think either company is subsudized.

We "pick up" the defense budgets of many, many countries.... in North America, Europe, Asia...

15. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    It’s something I’d never have the least interest in owning or driving but would view as a wise purchase for others.

16. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No thanks-real world testing shows they have a way to go. In your face colors? Mopar has been doing that for decades. Same money, I'll take a ScatPack Charger and smoke that Kia in every aspect of performance.

17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Agreed - and it's too big. I know it's based off the midsize Genesis, but it's too long for my taste. Needs to be a little tighter a la 4-door M3 or the 4th gen Nissan Maxima.

However, I do like it. I own a Kia, I love it, I want to see them do more of this.

18. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Curious if anyone has first hand knowledge of this car.

I'm thinking the top model is a bit pricey at over 50k, for a midsize Kia, I wonder if its quality, performance, and reliability make up for it.

19. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Purely anecdotal, but I spoke to a local guy here that owns a bunch of cars. He traded his BMW 550xi for a Stinger (DD duties only), said he was thrilled with it and liked it better than the Bimmer. YMMV