What do you think about this 88 Mondial | FerrariChat

What do you think about this 88 Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by J.murray, Oct 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J.murray

J.murray Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 9, 2005
    Does anyone have any knowledge / experience with this year and model? What do you think about price, options, or any other information.

Looking at this 88 Mondial: Click Here

Thanks

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Maybe post this in the Mondial/308/328 section for more input, but an '88 would be the 3.2 model, which is desirable, maybe the best of the lot. This is one of Ferrari's more reliable platforms (not a Lexus by any shot, but less of a money pit than some others...)

The only option is the audio system head unit - leather interiors were standard on all modern Ferraris, and power windows are standard.

I'd say with 47K miles that the asking price of $40K is optimistic. You'd want to know a lot more about the car -- service records and any accident history -- before coming to a price. If you don't already know, these cars require a $3K-$4K major service every 3 years, per Ferrari, and a lot of owners tend to avoid paying for that, resulting in deferred maintenance that can risk the engine.

When this car turns 50K miles in 2006 or early 2007, it will be considered a mid-high mileage car (believe it or not). Resale will be a challenge.

Colors are great - probably the best combination for a Mondial.

3. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Nice Mondial. I sure miss mine...
    Black seems to be prevailing as the best color for the car's shape (I still say it's silver;)). And, yes, the asking price is optimistic considering the mileage. I don't have experience with cabrios, but am told one should plan to leave the top down permanently!
    If the PPI checks out, drive her home.:)

Good luck.

4. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    $40k is the asking price?...hmmm..

I bought my 1989 red/tan Mondial T Cabrio for $42k and it was/is in great shape! Even drove it to the Scuderia Rampage from Phoenix -> Sonoma and back w/o issue a week after I got it.

For that purchase price I got a 2 owner 22k mile car w/ a new top, full engine out service, great interior and paint, and all updates on Alternator, starter, AC..ect...

5. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    I bought my 88 3.2 Mondial Cab in March - 19000 miles - belts done w/i the last year - my daily driver. Highly recommend.

$35,000 - $37,500 if the belts are w/i the past couple years and they can "prove" it - IMO.

6. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Dont be afraid of the miles. Check for service history. I wouldnt pay more than 35k and that is with a very recent proveable service being done.