What do you do? How do you afford a Ferrari? | Page 28 | FerrariChat

What do you do? How do you afford a Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Prancing_Horse, Dec 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Iluvthe360

Iluvthe360 Rookie

Apr 8, 2005
    Upland
    Full Name:
    Miguel Ruiz
    Don't worry Ill just make sure I never ask this question to anyone, ever. Its been something Ive been meaning to ask a few people ive met at CC, but I guess I know now that its best I dont. I wasen't looking for a solution, or a path, I was just curious to see what many different responses I would get. Sorry

2. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Miguel, Im nearly in the same boat as you...still in college and have been dreaming about owning a Ferrari for as long as I can remember. Im sorry that you havent gotten more serious responses but what I think some people are trying to get across here is that there is no straight line to a Ferrari. However, with the desire and motivation to earn one, hard work in some way or another has the possibility to yield one. Ferrari ownership is entirely possible...thats one of the great things Ive learned here, so always be optimistic. Im confident you and I both will have our own in no time at all!

So good luck in school!

3. Iluvthe360

Iluvthe360 Rookie

Apr 8, 2005
    Upland
    Full Name:
    Miguel Ruiz
    Thanks man, and good luck to you.

4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Miguel

you want a ferrari and other 'toys' ... thats cool just dont make aquiring material goods your goal or you will most likely fail.

Simple rule.. What are you passionate about ? Whatever it is find a way to build a business around it. Think outside the box.

Heres three good examples of going outside the box.

I own a horror film production company and I own a collectible toy manufacturer. So basically my day is spent playing with action figures , hot actresses and stage blood. Trust me.. Id do it even if I were broke and thats sort of the key there.

My best friend is a video game geek ..he started a fanzine at 15 on video games. It became a publishing empire he sold for 9 figures at 30 yrs old.

Another close friend of mine is the biggest horror movie geek you'll ever met. He turned that into a huge special effects studio in Hollywood and is now directing horror films.

We all have one thing in common. An obsessive passion for what we do. As I said we would all do it even if we were making $30k a year.

Work smart AND hard. Spend all your money and time developing/building your business NOT on cars and nice stuff. You'll know when its time for that.

Also..learn how to invest so that when you start to make money you can have it making more money for you.

I had very little until my mid 20's as it all went into building the company(s).

Just my $.02 and Im sure not everyone will agree...

5. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I would say the #1 thing in common with thsoe that earned their ferrari is drive. I'd be willing to be most people who own a ferrari have worked 100+ hour weeks and never gave up. You will fail and it is importnat to learn from that. Be smart and work hard.

Now on the other hand, you can work as hard as you want as a bouncer, but you're not going to get a new 430 anytime soon. I would bet that a lot of people on this board founded or help found a company and worked for themselves.

6. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    It's also a matter of what you want to give up. I have a nice house...not an "esate". No vacation house but would rather stay in a hotel and go to different places.

No kids. At age 27 had a wake-up call and took a couple risks. One of them at age 35 which ended up with my "business partner" embezzling and leaving me with the scraps. Emergencies and disaster have a way of making you move.

7. donoe

donoe Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    BHANE
    Wow, Interesting point indeed! I took a few pointers for myself, Thanks!

Totally agree anunakki... When it comes to running your own buisness, lots of sacrificing involves for me such as, countless working hours, long commute, eating slim jims, cheetos, cup-o-noodles, and lots of Red Bull for 10 days straight :D J/K) Ofcourse, you have to stay healthy.... But, you gotta have that passion, determination, and love on what you do, even if it means putting in 12+ hours a day. Hard work pays off, I believe it!!!

*Really, Horror film production?!?! How cool! Any offers on a free tour around the set/studio? ;) Kinda curious how horror movie sets look behind the scenes...

Thanks!

8. Skyler360Spider

Skyler360Spider Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2005
    The OC, USA

Agreed 110%

9. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    start with nothing and still have most of it left :D

borrowed quote from "f-chatter".....

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Now I know some may have thought my answer was a smartass responce but it wasn't. When I said "I watch TV". That's just a silly and easy way to explain what I do. I have no sercet as to what my job is, because it's in my profile. Those of you that feel the need to constanly ask this question, try reading the profiles once in a while.

I'm a Television Technical Director in Los Angeles. You know the guy in the room that looks like mission control. Yeah I make good money now but it wasn't always the case. I worked several years for jacksquat. My first official job I got payed $7/hr doing at least four times the work that I do now. My next job was not much better. Even though the pay SUCKED NUTS, I just kept at it because I knew I had to pay my dues, before I got paid. After the years of working for peanuts, I finally got a job making what I should be. But even then I got shot down lots of times before I finally got in.

Even now I still have to worked messed up hours. I'll get asked "How come you have to work on Thanksgiving?". I always laugh at that one and answer, "Well you wanna watch football game after you have stuffed yourself with turkey don't you? Somebody has to put that on the air". They usually give me the, oh yeah I never thought of that, look.

But you can't just start out at the top, and that is the problem. People aren't willing to put in the grunt work. They aren't willing to make jack squat for years. They want it now. Well for those of us that have paid our dues, we know that even though things are pretty good now, we remember a time when they weren't.

A friend of mine had a very succesful business. Alot of people only knew him when he had all the toys. The cars, the trucks, the boat, the motor cycles, the vactions. But I remember when he had to live in his shop to make ends meet.

So if you want the good things, you better be prepaired to go through some though times before you get them.

11. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    I saw the behind the scenes on ESPN (USC vs VTech) and Sportscenter. You guys are crazy, it looks so hectic in there !!

12. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Jordan ... I thought you were a successful Pimp :-D

So why DON'T you have a Ferrari?? Or ... do you keep it for professional reasons only. You know ... your work car!!

BTW ... I ran into Collin's mom today, and found out we all know each other ... what a scream! Well except for Collin ... he & I don't know each other. His mom , Phyllis, is a great lady.

Happy bassing,

Bill

13. mannyk

mannyk Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Newport beach
    Full Name:
    Manny
    Lots of funny posts,

We all have dreams to reach, that critical mass, the land of financial freedom. the amount of money is not the question, it varies from person to person.

I believe in this life you can achieve anything you want with little bit of smarts, lots of patients, persistance AND a long term game plan. this is the formula that worked and is working for me. Set Goals and compete with yourself not with others, Aim high and don't settle for less, fight for your dreams, trust me it is not a walk in the PARK.

And don't get greedy on the way in between your investments, you never go broke taking money of the table!!

I belive in the magic of compounding, someone else mentioned it here earlier in the posts.

Hope this was helpfull to you, lastly No Pain No GAIN!!!

Manny K.

14. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    Here's a real answer:

I own a company near Chicago called Screen Time Images that restores classic movies and television shows, which then get released on DVD or for broadcast. We restore both the picture and the soundtrack. My restoration work was shown at the 2003 Academy Awards (Oscars) during actor Peter O'Toole's career retrospective. I have worked long hours for years, and really the only free time I have is during the drive to/from the studio, so I may as well enjoy it! With high definition DVDs months away from being released to consumers, all of those movies and TV shows will need to be restored again, which will be quite profitable, but this time around many of the clients are being smarter and actually working on the products at resolutions HIGHER than HD, so that it is more future-proof (at least for the rest of our lives...)

We have also just come up with an exclusive process for chemically treating the films to hide scratches that will make us the only facility in the United States to be able to offer this in HD or higher resolutions.

Bottom line is that I found a real niche, busted ass and continue to do so, sought investor financing where appropriate (and have current need for additional investors ---end shameless solicitation), and am constantly finding untapped niches to get in to or develop from the ground up. Being the first to do anything is definitely valuable, but we also strive to be the best. This logic applies to most anything.

15. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Actually that is a production room you saw. The feed from that room comes to my room, the master control room, then I send it to your tv. Games are just one things I have to deal with. I have control of everything you see on the tv, yes everything, hence the term, master control. The games, news, movies, shows, telethons, commercials, game shows, talk shows, all of it must go through my room before you get to see it.

You wanna know nuts. How about running to different stations at the same time, dealing with two of those crazy rooms, and make sure everything hits air exactly on time.

Oh yeah and I did that for less than $8 bucks an hour. Now that's nuts.

16. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I'm the men's room attendant at the Greyhound Station in Hollywood

17. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The president of the company I work for calls himself "the guy in the van" in reference to the production vans with mini-tv's everywhere trying to pull together footage from various cameras and put it all together for one fabulous broadcast. Now I can tell him I know a REAL "guy in the van" (or building, as the case may be). Sounds like a fun job Ernie - now that you're done with the $8/hr stint :)

18. EuroDino

EuroDino Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph Fischetti
    #693 EuroDino, Nov 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    admit it, you scrub urinals on the space shuttle ;)

20. italcarguy

italcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
    I've been working since i was 16 (9 years ago). I started with after school/weekend jobs. While all my friends were spending work money on drugs and alcohol, I was using mine to buy cars, fix them up, and sell them for profit. Then eBay came along and I started buying and selling used car parts (mainly Alfa Romeo and some Ferrari) while still working after school and flipping cars. By making all these sacrifices, I was able to save a good amount of money and start a cool little car collection. Now, I am 25 and am a sales rep for Sparco USA and continue to buy/sell cars on the side as well as hoard stuff out on eBay. I've stopped buying cars because now I need to work on getting a house.

21. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    SMART MOVE!!!

22. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    dude, u are honestly an amazing role model. i have great respect for you and im extremely envious.

23. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Most won't make it to own a Ferrari, priorities change, they get married and have kids etc., so don't sweat it the world needs ditch diggers too.

The biggest obstacle you'll find is getting the money to start a business if you have nothing, its very difficult to save enough unless you have a weathy family to get $$ from, my experience with investors has all been bad as they all tried to force me out in a few totally different businesses, if you can get the money even then it sometimes takes luck with the business you get and also knowing when to dump a loser that never will be a good business that you are always just beating your head against a wall and instead should be trying something else, sometimes people get very attached to their business as its a part of them even though its draining them completely and wasting their time, so persistence in the right way.

24. mulholland ferrari

Aug 9, 2004
    Sherman Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry O'Rourke
  25. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004

you know my friend berry...rides bicycles