What do I need to know before buying a sailing Catamaran ? | FerrariChat

What do I need to know before buying a sailing Catamaran ?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by WILLIAM H, Feb 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm a total noob at sailing but I'm interested.

Thinking maybe a 40ft Cat

Help please

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    A) How much you got?

B) Learn before you yearn.

C) Did you go to Miami Boat Show or sumpin'?

D) Cruisers Forum is an excellent resource.

E) "Don't be 'that guy'" Video comin' up . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Got plenty :)

Thinking maybe $300k budget

Would like something big enough to live on a few weeks

So I need a kitchen, pantry, 2 full baths, solar cells, generator, fishing capability, water desalinator would be nice too

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    You can get something nice used for that much.
    Before you buy think "resale".
    The generic brands will have more appeal but when I retire I want something for me so brand wont be that important.
    World cruisers will be slower than daysailers but still faster and more stable than a monohull.
    Cats are a great choice.
    Get an owners version.

I would love to have this boat;

Catamaran 1993 Freebird 50 Catamaran For Sale

5. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF2Q4W7v2d4]Cap'n Batboat - YouTube[/ame]

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    These guys are customers of mine. If you need an introduction I'd be happy to. Gunboat Home Page

7. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    Uh...maybe learn to sail? Get with a school that offers a progression of courses.
    Charter(w/a Captain initially) some boats you are interested in.
    Join a sailing club.

Please, just get some training and experience. A 40' foot cat is a powerful boat and can inflict amazing damage when things go wrong.

We're all out there to have fun. We should treat operating boats the same way we do being the best drivers we can be.

If you're ever around Annapolis give me a call.

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

+1 40ft is very very big if you've never sailed before.

Cats are totally different from mono-hulls. Get your feet wet (literally!) with a Hobie, then work your way up.

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    #9 parkerfe, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    Charter one in the BVIs for a couple of weeks first; first week with a captain to lern the ropes and the second week on your own. That will help you deicide if sailing is for you. there are numerous charter companies you can use. The BVIs are a safe and fun place for a first timer. I have bare boat chartered from this company and had great service: http://www.bviyachtcharters.com/. This is also a good website to find more about chartering in the BBVIs:http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=bvi

10. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    A recommendation. Join a local club and go club racing, you will learn a lot. Some colleges offer 1 week courses for learning how to sale keel boats. This is a great option if available. You should also look at J boats which makes keel boats. They are very popular and in your price range. Other than Gun Boat, most cats are rather heavy and do not point very well.

11. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Found a sailing school just up the street.

Going to start soon :)

12. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Excellent! I mean, Arrrrrrr.

You are now required to update us on an alarmingly frequent basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    umm ... the old adage "walk before you can run" is sound advice ...

please get your feet wet by taking a sailing course and going out on hot sunny days with no wind ... before plonking down a ton of change for something that may or may not interest you in a months' time ...

& yes, speaking from experience ...

& that's the reason i drive that thing in my avatar ...

:D

14. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler

Better not be this guy(s) either!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAyDS1NuK_A[/ame]

15. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Well, I'm late to the thread. Wish I saw this earlier.... I was down your way over the winter and we could have discussed these.

I think I'm headed in the same direction, 42' +

Have you made any headway?

16. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Those are amazing, performance is first, second and third priority "cruising" boats. I can't think of another mainstream builder that understands the need to minimize weight on cats like they do.

17. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Every boat is a tradeoff..... Gunboats are great and fit a particular market. Other mainstream builders understand the compromise between cost, speed, pointing upwind, and weight.... They just build to a different market.

A lot of people are looking for condos on the water and can't afford a carbon fiber vessel. I can't tell you how many cats or monohulls I've seen that are never under sail.

18. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    True.

How about no one is as committed to keeping cats as lightweight as Gunboat?

19. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I honestly don't know. I've been on the Gunboats and respect their build. I met someone working for them over the summer.

What I've found is, as much as I study cats and tris, I seem to only learn how little I really know about all the designers and manufacturers. There are some very good designers that will build a great boat if you can afford it.

I will say that I think Gunboats are great boats. I also think there are some real innovative designs coming around the corner for cats as materials get lighter and less expensive.

20. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Did you guys ever think about buying a boat in the midwest, and shippng out to the coasts?

I have never owned a boat, but searching craigslist in Wisconsin, these things seem dirt cheap. I see 35 ft boats with a kitchen/head/etc, from the 1990's for <$10,000.

That seems like a helluva lot of bang for the buck.

Not sure I would want to cruise the open seas in a $10,000 boat, but would be a lot of fun up to 10 miles off shore...

Bo

21. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    A wide beamed boat would be a nightmare to ship.

I can tell you a boat in the 13' beam range is roughly $6/mile plus permits and tolls. Also, the shortest route might not be available because of bridge heights etc.

Many people see boats far from where they want to boat and try and figure out if it's worth it to ship it.

Sometimes it's worth moving it by water if you calculate the experience of an adventure.

You can find cheap boats everywhere. Esp. Florida.

22. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I've been sailing and power yachting in the Caribbean for decades on monohulls and cats. My advice is the charter a cat in the BVIs a couple of times with a captain to teach you the ropes. Once you are comfortable, try a bare-boat charter. If you still like it, buy a cat.

23. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    I've been sailing since I was seven years old. I race iceboats and also have a 31' Corsair trimaran (22' wide). Learn how to dock the sucker first. It's harder than sailing it. Other than napping, I have no interest in sleeping on my boat (i.e. cruising). I'm just interested in sailing it as fast as I can without pitchpoling. Learn the differences between catamarans & trimarans. Don't buy a boat that is too big. Every foot is a geometric increase in size and geometrically worse to sail, dock & maintain. The bigger it is, the bigger the hassle to haul out in the winter or for maintenance. One guy at my marina got lazy with his 39 footer this past winter and didn't haul it out. Snow covered the boat, sunk the aft area and flooded his engine & cabins with salt water. What a mess! Sailing is like golf...it takes a lot of time and effort. Cars are much easier...

24. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I'd recognize that ass anywhere.

That's actually THE video I wanted to post - but then couldn't find it to save my friggin' life.

Now I'm gonna watch the tragedy unfold for 1st time in quite a while. Ah, yeah - Credit Card Captain . . .