What did you do to your Mondial today? | Page 10 | FerrariChat

What did you do to your Mondial today?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ddenboer, Dec 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OpenAirFan

OpenAirFan Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Krefeld, Germany
    Use a polyester 2K filler, sand and paint it.

2. Cafe racer

Cafe racer Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Nigel Waterfall
    I was on a quest to sort out my electric window issues - they both work OK but i can't lower the passenger window from the drives side (i can raise it) once i had the passenger door trim off i discoverd that someone had grounded the Blue wire on the 5 pin switch terminal to the door frame, not sure where thats supposed to go but i think it may go to the fuse board (relay?) - any suggestions!
    i do have a workshop manual on CD but my CD drive has died on my computer (waiting for a new one to turn up!)

3. Cafe racer

Cafe racer Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Nigel Waterfall
  4. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Changed all 8 spark plugs, which had been in there for about 18 years. Number one on the rear bank a bit of a pain working around the large banjo bolt on the fuel injection distributor, but rest were very straightforward.

paulchua likes this.
  5. Cafe racer

Cafe racer Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Nigel Waterfall
    I got my oil temperature gauge working today! - i followed the advice in another thread & added a ground wire from the oil tank to the chassis (as its rubber mounted) now i have a working oil temperature gauge!

paulchua and JLF like this.
  6. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Sounds like a dry sump?
    Must be effing nice!
    Enjoy and good work

7. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos
    I managed to remove my non-functioning wedged tightly shut sunroof. My guess is it hasn't been open in at least 20 years. Multiple malfunctions identified. Now the Easter egg hunt begins for replacement parts...

Couldn't have done it without the many F-Chatters that were willing to post their knowledge over the years. What a great community! :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cafe racer, paulchua and djs308 like this.
  8. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
  9. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos
    I'd say it was more challenging than difficult. I had put a lot of hours into researching every facet of the system before I even went near the thing. Lots of printing of posts and pictures, then trying to visualize the system in action. Once I felt comfortable with enough knowledge (though I still had some minor holes; that missing 5% of knowledge would have saved me hours in removal because as it happens, it was directly related to my main problem area, so duh on me) and after some quick checks, it took maybe 10 minutes on the car to identify the main problem area and develop a plan of attack. Executing the plan though took a couple of hours of exploratory work. Maybe mine was harder than the common failure(s) because my sunroof would not open more than 1/2 inch max due to a rear corner of the sunroof not dropping down (along with the compound failures as well). So in my case, I was truly flying blind. I guess the fear of getting to a point and not being able to put things back together or breaking unobtanium parts is hard to overcome. Now that the system is apart though and confirming how it works, I could take it apart again in 15 - 30 minutes depending on what part of the system needs attention. The first go-around took a couple of hours, because obviously all of that time went to trying to figure out what to do. Once you understand the system, it's actually very straightforward and dare I say easy? :eek:

If anything, finding the replacement parts might be the difficult part....o_O

10. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    So once you take the panel out can you see back inside the roof area?
    How do you hook the sunroof back up to the cable system when you slide the panel back in?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I enjoy my sunroof now that I finally opened it. I can hear the exhaust better and it makes the car more fun.
    Since you did lots of research I’m sure you know Redbay cars has the glides for it. Mine were fine, I just used spray silicone on the tracks and it seems to open and close fine.

12. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos
    Yes, once you take the panel out, you can see everything in the roof area. To hook up the cable, you slide the sunroof all the way back, and then the cable latch is self-aimed into the sunroof slider track opening, which it then makes a hard turn on that path when you actuate the sunroof switch (motor) forward. That hard turn is where the cable pushes and pulls the sunroof slider via the wheel on the cable mechanism, which is how the cable is "hooked". Really, the cable is not hooked in the formal sense. It just glides on the track (via the wheel) with no where else to go.

JLF likes this.
  13. Edgewood121

Edgewood121 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    F. Skirianos
    Oh man, that's exactly what I had in mind. Just listen to that exhaust and let all that sunshine in!

Yep, you got it. Already sent the email to Redbay for info on replacement parts and the glides. They have the glides but only one of the parts I need. Gotta search around for the other parts. Thanks for sharing the feedback on the slides. My slides seem to be in ok condition, but I was wanting to replace them as a preventive measure, since they look like a worthwhile upgrade.

14. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Took apart the front suspension to replace the bushings and shocks. Didn't want to do the brakes or re grease the 37 year old wheel bearing but I might. Any hints or recommendations?
    1st time I had a chance to use new ICON ratcheting wrenches. They're huge compared to a normal and a MATCO long handle.

Attached Files:

15. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I regreased the front bearing on mine by removing the six bolts on the rear of the bearing housing and cleaning and repacking from there. The 33 year old grease kind of looked like the same solidified goo you find in the power window mechanism when you take it apart. It was pretty easy.

16. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    You are a brave man. I did that once in my car then unhooked the wire so it doesn't happen by mistake!

17. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    Edgewood121 and davem like this.
  18. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Is there a seal or gasket that needs to be replaced when re greasing? thanks

19. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    You got a lift and you're doing cambelts on knees? You must be young with great knees, back and neck!

20. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I don't remember any gasket. No real need for one if I remember correctly.

21. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    Actually, Im in my 50s, knees back and neck are fine...wrists however, arthritis hasn't been good to them! lol

The lift rails I thought would be in the way. The current method works well, at the right height for me to get in there. Getting to the top side of the car is another issue. I suppose when I do it the next time I may try using the lift.

22. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Pressed out some bushings and cleaned a lot of suspension parts. Took the front wheel bearings apart and cleaned out some hard vintage Italian grease.

Attached Files:

23. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Sounds very familiar, lol. Nice work!

24. Cafe racer

Cafe racer Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Nigel Waterfall
    Yea it's a dry sump, its a nice setup, just got to run the car for a few minutes before you check the oil level

25. Cafe racer

Cafe racer Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Nigel Waterfall
    changed all my brake pads today, i think they were the original pads from the factory, when i took the front LH one out it fell apart..

I did notice they were cracked when i bought it - so i thought now was the perfect time to change them