What did you do to your car today? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

What did you do to your car today?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ClydeM, Aug 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Thomas Magnum had a goat in Robin’s 308...although as I recall, Higgins mistook it for a Kudu buck. . Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    That's just not right.

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  3. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
  4. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Carmellini likes this.
  5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I chased a misfire that turned out to be a dirty MAF.

sjd

Mike Morrissey, Qavion and Carmellini like this.
  6. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Pepsi10, Kokose7en, Dolcevita and 2 others like this.
  7. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    I was tired of watching every glorious F355 acceleration video on YouTube and other social media accounts. I had to hear it for myself in person. Waited 3 months to gather this setup together.

Metalcraft headers already came with the car when I bought it, they are made in the USA and replicated the factory 4-2-1 design with thicker walls using 321 stainless, company is no longer in business. There is a fab speed blanket on now for some heat management but hope to just replace it with the Tubi headers on the next major. But just for this weeks install, I replaced the factory bypass with Kreissieg spiral bypass. Cats with Tubi Style test pipes, gothspeed CV heat shield, Forza bypass valve controller and of course Capristo sound 3 for the muffler.

All the tales they say are true! My Gawwwd….. a sound like no other…

Attached Files:

ShineKen, Targatime, Pepsi10 and 5 others like this.
  8. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    1. The tonneau cover for my spider is disintegrating, meaning the lining is becoming the “fairy dust” that has been mentioned in other threads. I have brought it to a local upholstery shop. They will attempt to replace the lining/foam, maybe for 2-3 hundred dollars. I think I could have done it myself, faster and better. But they are the professionals…for whatever that is worth in this day and age, so I will give them a shot. Cabrioworld offers a new version for about $1000. Mine is also shrunk a bit, so…maybe a new one is the way to go. But I will see how this shop does.

2. I felt like my spider roof was not operating great. Some years ago, I had found that my hydraulic fluid was a bit low. So I was all geared up to replenish the hydraulic fluid = I ordered and received some of the Mercedes hydraulic fluid needed. But when I got the cover for the pump off. The fluid was near max level. So the replenishment I did some years ago, has been okay, and that was not the answer. I lubed the joints in the roof, and I think it is working better.

3. My tan carpets were looking bad. As others have noticed they tend to do. 80% of the problem, I think, is because something in the car is disintegrating, maybe the tonneau mentioned above, and the dust accumulates on the carpets. It was most pronounced on the passenger side, behind and beside the seat. After an aggressive vacuuming, the carpets were much better, confirming that a lot of the discoloration/dirt was some kind of dust. But then decided to also use a carpet cleaner, and I think that helped a lot also. I sprayed on the cleaner, rubbed it in using a paper towel, and then dried with paper towels, then vacuumed.

9. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Similar situation here
    Will need to address all these now that my engine out was done… never ends

Pepsi10 likes this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    That's a superb setup! Spiral Y-pipe worth it? I've never heard of Metalcraft headers, but sounds like headers are built correctly for the F355. Never sell :).

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Final preparation of my F355 Challenge for next week's Lime Rock Park event. I always look forward to getting away to The Secret Valley of Racing.

Pepsi10 and ShineKen like this.
  12. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    #87 Mike Morrissey, Sep 4, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    Replaced my worn Air Box Vibration mounts. (Quantity 6)
    I tried ordering the Air Box vibration mounts from Advanced Antivibration Components as suggested in other threads, to find that they were out of stock. Thought it was a good opportunity to post my findings of current prices from various suppliers of the actual replacement part along with after market “equivalent” replacements.
    Ferrari part 142202
    Maranello Classic Parts $23.85
    Same part from Maserati $11.18
    Ricambi America $29.82
    Advanced Anti-vibration Components $3.87 (not in stock, 6 to 8 week delivery)
    McMaster-Carr 9217K35, $1.93 in stock arrived in 2 days UPS ground.
    3/4 high, 1 inch diameter, 1/2 inch M6 mount.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Thanks Mike for that information. Did you notice your boxes vibrating? What made you think to replace?

14. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    I cant say it does anything but force me to look at it every time I open the hood. Looks nice to me is all. $1500 worth it? I’d say the craftsmanship shows the cost. I think the exhaust gas has smoother way to the bypass. If you compare other y-pipes designs, it gets tight at the junction, but ****… who knows. I just know it’s loud, but that might just be the Capristos :)

ShineKen likes this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I just realized it is longer than most y-pipes. It deletes the need for the extra spacer and gasket. Clean and to the point.

16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  17. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    While replacing air filters I noticed the condition and failure of a few of the mounts. Here’s a picture of one of the worst of the bunch. Also wanted to share findings of a part that some places charge close to $30.00 for and a like part that is possibly far superior can be had for under $2.00.

308 GTB, Qavion, marioz and 1 other person like this.
  18. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Ahh, just can’t leave well enough alone. Purchased a used Ferrari 348 steering wheel back in June to replace my airbag wheel, although nice, a bit too much patina. Found these available new, although date code is 2005, from Eurospares. The workmen-ship isn’t quite as fine as back in the day, but very nice.

tres55, MAD828, 308 GTB and 2 others like this.
  19. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Got the AC fan working finally...seems the factory connector was about to burn the car down. Learned in the wiring diagram that it appears to only need ignition on, and pressure in the system to turn on. You can fake pressure in the system by shorting across the two blue wires on the pressure switch (on the dryer).

I didn't take any pics, except one of the dead connector.

sjd

20. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
  21. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    tres55 and Targatime like this.
  22. Chippa

Chippa Rookie

Nov 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Nice work Elliot... is that done with a Caswell kit? Although it looks like you have it sussed, there is also a good YouTube by Cameron Niemala replating (also zinc chromate, I think?) the fasteners on his dirtbikes. He troubleshoots as well.

MAD828 likes this.
  23. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
  24. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  25. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Time to steam clean the carpet and remove original protective plastic hidden under the seats, along with other interior work. The driver seat had a pool dye job done back in 2003 at FOW, “second owner, only 11,700 miles at the time. Always unhappy with the look “color mismatch” and feel; I decided to see what lurked beneath the dye. The portion I worked on revealed soft Connolly leather. I figured it was time to stop before I messed things up and take it to a professional. So, it’s off to Jack Farland, (Farland Classic Restoration). As my Dad used to say “any change would be an improvement”….:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pepsi10, Carmellini, MAD828 and 2 others like this.