What defines a true Supercar? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What defines a true Supercar?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by millemiglia, Jun 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Anybody can write numbers on paper. Let's see it do a real test from a magazine or Top Gear or 5th Gear... or anything!

2. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    They took the Koenigsegg CC8 for a highspeed test at Nardo but it had to be abandoned because of bad weather, but only after the car had reached 226 mph. And it was still accellerating...
    // Peter

3. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    The 1/4 in 9 seconds? On street tires? DAMN, where in hell did they get that number? Is that even possible?

4. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    Top Gear said it was the "fastest" car they've ever tested. I have the episode on my computer. By fastest though it was referring to the top speed they could achielve on their Lotus test track. The car didn't have the fastest lap time.

5. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    That is an estimate, but from what i've read, high nines or low tens is to be expected.
    // Peter

6. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    I dont think production numbers should have anything to do with a supercar, I think that has everything to do with an 'exotic' car. I feel the same as far as heritage is concerned, shouldnt have anything to what makes a car 'super'. If I look hard enough, I can find one guy on the production team of any 'super' car who probably had SOMEthing to do with another, therefore bringing in a little heritage of his own.
    A supercar should only be based on its performance #s. If next week Saturn makes a car that can beat a mclaren F1 in every category, looks included, and sell it for 22k, I'm sorry, but anyone who would deny said car supercar status, is a bit too elitist for their own good.

That's my .05 cents. The extra .03 cents is so people dont jump on me :)