What defines a true Supercar? | FerrariChat

What defines a true Supercar?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by millemiglia, Jun 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    I think the word supercar is sometimes wrongly used, so I thought I might ask you what you think defines a Supercar.
    Is high performance enough? Do you have to have a racing heritage like Ferrari? Is exclusivity a factor?
    Personally I think, for a car to qualify as a supercar, it should have very good performance figures and be built in faily low numbers.
    Enzo? YES
    Zonda? YES
    Carrera GT? YES
    Ford GT? NO, not with a planned production of 1500 per year!

Well, what do you think?

// Peter

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    low production
    best performance on the road
    impracticality

seriously, if you can drive it to the supermarket, it's not a supercar. That's why in my opinion, the SLR isn't one. I know it sounds funny, but I think it's a fast GT. And, consider the Carrera GT in light of what you say about the Ford GT - they are making almost 1500 Carrera GTs too!
    But, I think it comes down to having some sort of set number limit, and being pretty outrageous. Outrageous = supercar.

3. millemiglia

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    OK, being a Porsche guy as well as a Ferrari guy, I'm a bit biased...
    But in the case of the Carrera GT it's the planned total as opposed to Ford's 1500 per year!
    How about the street version of the Porsche GT1, limited to 25...
    // Peter

4. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    I agree on most.Exclusitivity,performance,low production,exotic looks.For current cars,I would say the following:

enzo
    zonda
    cgt
    slr
    murci

5. Skelter

Skelter Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Well, you could drive the McLaren F1 to the supermarket and have room to put your groceries in there...

6. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I guess it depends on each one of us.
    Personally, I refuse to see the SLR in the supercar category, because of its auto and GT definition.
    I also like to add a street-legal race car section. It does include absurdly impratical cars such as GT1, Panoz LMP, CLK-GTR/CLR, Saleen S7, Mosler ... etc etc.
    A supercar to me has to be mid-engine. It must be sophisticated, and provide improvement on the engineering aspect. In this aspect, the Ford GT lacks ... so does the Gallardo (but not the Murcie, that was the first big production useable super sport car).

7. BrianTheYank

BrianTheYank Karting

May 24, 2004
    maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    There is only one supercar - Mclaren F1

8. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    #8 Bill Sawyer, Jun 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A Supercar should have exotic engineering, unusual looks, have low production numbers and draw attention wherever it goes. Based on that definition here is my vote for the number one Supercar of all time. (The point being that there is an exception to every rule).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Oh, I agree with you completely. The Carrera GT is without a doubt a supercar. So, it's not all about low production. It's about the car being INSANE :D

10. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Certainly it would be on THE list.I was going by Supercars being produced today though.Previous supercars would have to include F40,F50,Diablo,959.Im sure Im missing some.

11. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I don't see how production numbers would effect this.

12. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Sure, 1,500 per year may sound a lot, but you're overlooking the fact that it is only a 2 year deal. Whether you spread those 3,000 or so cars over 10 years (300 cars per year), or 2 years (1,500 cars/year)...what real difference would that make? A run of 3,000 cars is 3,000 cars either way, right? Still quite rare.

Besides, why worry about GT production numbers being too much since you live in Europe? :D. All of Europe will only be getting a total of 100 GT's.

13. BrianTheYank

BrianTheYank Karting

May 24, 2004
    maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I was actually discussing this topic with a mate of mine the other day. It sort of came to conclude that the cars of the 80's and 90's as u stated above are the real supercars, and all those new things now a days are just super exotica. It was like an age of supercars, and now its over.

14. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Why would low numbers be a factor? If it's the fastest in the world with the best handling, but 15,000 are made per year, why would it be banned from a game it would win. I would like all of the supercars to be rare, but if Ford can win races with the GT, then let them into your club. Would a brand name play a part too?

15. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What about the Countach? One of the originals. Super in it's day and I think it is still the best looking (euro bumpers) of them all. I'm just afraid of their maintenance costs.

16. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.

Yes,the Countach would have to be there.It was the Icon of the 80's,like it or not.190mph car,when hardly any could turn 150.Exotic looks,NO DOUBT.Exclusitivity?Oh yeah.With 400 total QV's made in 4 years,yes.Still looks exotic today,I feel.Over the edge,no question.In your face,without a doubt.

17. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    I think, first off, that having the label "supercar" automatically crosses off all "production cars". However, if you were to include production cars, I think an '04 Corvette z06 would be the closest one to a "supercar". Go test drive one and see what I mean.

Secondly, I believe it must have exotic stylings(wide, low, long, eccentric, whatever...). It must stand out in a crowd of normal cars.

Thirdly, It must be very powerful, not only in straight-line acceleration, but also through turning/handling/braking. Anyone can build a car for $10k to run 10's in the quarter mile.

Lastly, It must have a certain heritage or quality. Using the example from above, building a big block Chevy Nova to run 10's is fine, but it's still an Chevy Nova at the end of the day... Quality components are a big factor in my opinion.

-DC

18. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    A Z06 has mediocre performance,when compared to the weakest Supercar.How can you even compare that to ,say a Viper,with much more power,and 1/10th the production?And yes,I do own a Z06,so I have time behind the wheel.A supercar has to be a car that is available to be purchased,hence a production car.Im not sure what your definition of production car is,but Supercars are production cars.

19. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    The Zonda is brand new, so is the company, does it qualify? I'm not being a harda$$ I'm just getting it clear.

20. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    LOL.I dont think anyone knows.Its just fun to talk about.I would put the Zonda there,because of performance,exotic look,and exclusitivity.

21. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    #21 matterhorn762, Jun 9, 2004
    How about the Koenigsegg? You don't hear much about it, but it outperforms just about everything out there. At 806HP, the CCR is supposed to be the fastest "production" car ever made.

22. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I dont know about the fastest car ever made, but it sure has the coolest doors of any car ever made! :)

23. millemiglia

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know production numbers was limited for the Ford GT.
    Still not on my list.
    // Peter

24. millemiglia

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    On the contrary, I think this is a new era of Supercars!
    We got the Pagani Zonda, Ferrari Enzo, Carrera GT, Bugatti Veyron (if it ever sees production), Koenigsegg CCR, Saleen S7...

// Peter

25. millemiglia

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    #25 millemiglia, Jun 10, 2004
    Yeah, GO Swedes GO!
    Take a look at these pics and the stats...

Performance of the CCR

Acceleration: 0-100 km/h (0–62 mph) 3.2 seconds
    Top speed: 395+ km/h (242+ mph)
    Standing quartermile: 9 seconds, end speed 235 km/h (146 mph)
    Braking distance: 31 m (100–0 km/h)
    Lateral g-force: 1.3 g
    Fuel consumption: Highway travel: 13 l/100 km

// Peter