What daily driver for the city? | FerrariChat

What daily driver for the city?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by tomorrow, Nov 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomorrow

tomorrow Rookie

Nov 8, 2017
    USA
    Hey guys. I currently live a in a city with a lot of broken roads and traffic. What daily should I get? Currently I have a 458 with a 488 and 812 on order and a 991.2 as a daily. I will most likely sell the 458 when the 488 comes, and I haven't decided if I will trade the 488 on the 812 (depends how much I like it). The 991.2 isn't really working for me as a daily because it's not much more comfortable than the ferraris in this situation, but the performance and emotion are much worse. What I really want is something with great ride quality and okay performance. My first thought was a Macan, the drawback is I'd like something smaller for parking in tight garages. I wouldn't use the space in a Macan since I don't have a family. Size isn't a dealbreaker, but small would be nice. There may be an obvious answer but I've only ever owned or paid attention to sports cars. Let me know your thoughts!

2. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    More information needed, you in the south, northeast, Midwest, cali?

Snow, ice, or dirt roads?

Always in the city or are you commuting ?

3. tomorrow

tomorrow Rookie

Nov 8, 2017
    USA
    South, no ice/snow but plenty of rain. Always in the city. Roads always paved but just awful, potholes everywhere

4. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Fiat 500 Abarth?
    Subaru WRX?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Is parking an issue? Smart car if only driving low speed urban. Can park anywhere and new model is huge improvement over old. 2 doors or 4? Mini cooper jcw even bigger and more performance than abarth. Ford focus rs awd with big performance but only stick which stinks in b to b traffic. Vw gti or r32 has dct trans. Bmw m2? Audi rs3? alfa guilia? Sooo many to choose from.

6. tomorrow

tomorrow Rookie

Nov 8, 2017
    USA
    Guys -- ride comfort is the main issue here. I have only ridden passenger in most of those cars, maybe it feels different as a driver, but the ride comfort felt pretty hard on all of these. Have not ridden in giulia but it's almost as large as macan.

7. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    #7 VGM911, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    The Audi TT (base model, not the TTS or the TTRS) offers these advantages:

1) it's small (only 165" long);
    2) it has a hatchback for easy loading;
    3) it has rear seats for the convenience of tossing stuff like a jacket, gym bag, etc.;
    4) the rear seat backs fold down to increase storage space,
    5) it has Quattro all-wheel drive for good all-weather traction; and
    6) it has four-cylinder fuel economy.

Perhaps most importantly, it has a "comfort" ride setting that provides a more compliant ride over rough roads, and the base model also has 18" wheels as standard equipment (even though 19" wheels are an option most people choose) which have higher sidewalls, thereby providing a more compliant ride, as well.

It's too bad that Peugeots and Citroens aren't sold in the US anymore; they were known for luxurious, soft rides.

Good luck with your search.

8. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    If a new Audi TT is too expensive as a daily driver, perhaps a used, low-mileage Volvo C30? I've never driven one so I can't testify as to its ride, but it does offer some of the same advantages as the Audi TT (two doors, hatchback, etc.).

Just a thought. :)

9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Ride quality? Very easy, look lexus or lincoln. Done.

MB224 likes this.
  10. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Also new road & track pcoy issue had 720s and Bentley in same test. Said mac has better ride quality than bentley. Maybe trade in the ferrari for mac and forget the 2nd car ccompletely!

11. tomorrow

tomorrow Rookie

Nov 8, 2017
    USA
    Thank you for the suggestion, I will have to test drive it. I never looked because I won't do business with the local Audi dealer, but there is another one just a couple hours away. Not a problem.

Hah. I actually did consider this. It's not a bad suggestion, but I do feel a bit silly depreciating away a supercar sitting in traffic. If I were much richer, this would be the right answer.

12. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If you are driving it almost exclusively in the city and have access to 120V power in your garage then a BMW I3 would be perfect. Why?
    1. Getting gas in most cities is a PITA, and you can fully charge an I3 overnight on a standard outlet and only a three or four hours max if you are only driving 20 or so miles a day.
    2. Gas engines don't like the wear and tear of city driving while electric cars don't care,
    3. BMW i3 can fit just about anywhere
    4. They have composite panels so you don't have to worry about door dings
    5. They use regenerative braking so you won't be replacing brakes all the time in the stop and go life of city traffic
    6. 0-30 they are actually the fastest car in the BMW range! This acceleration is extremely usable in a city environment
    7. You can pick up a 2015 model with low mileage and still under warranty in the teens! That includes the models with the range extender gas engine backup motor

I know they are not the best looking cars, but they are fun to drive and have great interiors. I used one as a loaner not too long ago and my friends and I, who are all car guys, thought it was a ton of fun.

tomorrow likes this.
  13. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Was reading through this thread and thinking I would say exactly that: BMW i3.

But you could also say fiat 500e. Or Tesla model 3- those who have received theirs are very happy.

Or, if you want cheap and American then the volt or Cadillac cvE are also ok

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

tomorrow likes this.
  14. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    fiat and mini both have compromised ride comfort

i say lexus, lincoln, or even buick all have best ride

tomorrow likes this.
  15. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What about a Chevy Volt? It's comfortable & does not attract attention.

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    As much as I don't like Tesla, I really don't see a better alternative for heavy traffic/city/short distances.

vinuneuro likes this.
  17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    exhibit A

18. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    is it still hybrid? v8 conversion? still looks good either way

19. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    series hybrid

20. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    I use a Tesla S since 2013.

Perfect for me.

Kai

21. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    I had this same predicament and went with a Golf GTI, am very happy with it. DSG is great in town and its easier to park with the hatchback. Rides well with none of the problems my previous city car (Mini Cooper S) had over bumps and potholes. Also great carrying capacity and bike racks if needed.

tomorrow likes this.