What car did you want in high school but couldn't afford? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What car did you want in high school but couldn't afford?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by toggie, May 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I turned 16 in 1968 right smack dab in the middle of Illinois. Because I had been riding motorcycles for two years in Florida before then, I lusted after two wheels first, mostly Triumphs. For four wheels, I used either my parent's Oldsmobile station wagon or our '64 VW. But as far as car lust went, I lived in muscle car heaven. We're talking Hemi Roadrunners with straight pipes and drag slicks.

However, I did see a Porsche 904 parked in a front yard during one of my summer trips to Florida. This car became my all-time lust vehicle. It wasn't until many, many years later that I discovered there is no way a 6'2" fat guy will fit in one. :)

2. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi ,

When I was 16 y/o I always wanted to have a euro Mercedes Benz 450SL or SLC .

audio research

3. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    By about the time GM got the car right, they killed it. Not unlike the late model Corvairs.

4. 87-Countach

87-Countach Karting

Oct 12, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #29 87-Countach, May 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    xotik and Afonsolaw like this.
  5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I never made it past the 8th grade, I was chasing the Dead back (46 years ago) in those days. Only ride I cared about was the magic bus!

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I wanted a 1985 Corvette...badly.

7. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    What a score ;)
    Were you thinking "One day that car will be mine"?

8. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Porsche 911 Turbo. Funny thing is I owned early 911s as stepping stones to it. After owning my "dream" car, I realized that I preferred the lighter, non-turbo predecessors.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #34 leead1, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    I was just getting out of high school and all of my Friends were rewarding them selves by buying a new car.

I was heading off to four years of college on a budget and poverty. One of my friends had an Isetta and I lusted over it. I just could not afford it, but a great memory.

A great post by the OP. I still think of the car I never got with fondness. This car you opened up the front eng to get into the car, very unique.

I agree with native Troy on the Arial Atom. I had one of these cars which I think Troy drove and they are awesome. Inexpensive yet will compete and better a lot of Exotics.

Best

Lee

10. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I wasn't really into cars in high school, but the Acura NSX I distinctly remember being the first car I really fell in love with, followed by the R34 Skyline GT-R.

The R34 still has a "mythical" status about it to me, even above most supercars.

11. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    How very true. Couldn't think of owning somethng new in 89, it was inconceivable. I had several running derelicts at my disposal however...

12. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Eclectic cars.

early 80's Corvette.

300SL Gullwing

The Gullwing started in the hi 20's, for a driver.

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    2002tii and 280z. Ended up with trans am so couldn't complain esp when I traded it in for tr8 in college

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Farm out.

15. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Not a car, I wanted a Kawasaki Ninja 600 or a Suzuki Katana....first of the "modern super bikes". The cool guys had Datsun 510's (Grade twelve was 1985 for me). I had a ten speed bicycle:(

16. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Funny how every era is different.

I distinctively remember that when I was in High school the car to have for any spoiled child was the Eddie Bauer Explorer. It was the late 90s early 2000s and the SUV craze was jumping into turbo mode. Plenty of kids had bimmers, a few porsches etc. Nah, the broads all flocked to those gold trimmed things LOL. Still funny to think back on.

17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I had a 1976 280Z in high school (I bought it in 1985 IIRC), it was still pretty cool. It was no Corvette, but better than a Pinto ;)

18. Brewman

Brewman Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2012
    NC Mountains @ Boone
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I dreamed of having an Austin Healey 3000. In reality though anything (other than walking) would have been better than sharing the families Ford Falcon, 4 cyl., three speed on the column. After I managed to tear the front end off of it we upgraded to a Rambler station wagon. Why do I say upgrade ? Well the back seat folded down so plenty of room for you know what.

19. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    I absolutely wanted a 68 big block Camaro and a Land Rover. Settled for the 327 long time ago, but sometimes I still ponder swapping in a 396.

20. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#45 dm_n_stuff, May 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Groceries?

Bags of mulch??

2x4's???

Lawn furniture????

I can't imagine why a HS kid would want room for that stuff. :D

D

22. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Easy for me to recall:

1. Testarossa (the exotic- ultimate dream car to me then, so notable gap between this and #2 and #3)
    2. Porsche 930
    3. Porsche 928S4

I would say Countach, but for whatever reason I didn't follow Lamborghini as much back then so I technically can't put it on the list. I'm sure I'd be pretty happy with one of those back then however (and today!!)

23. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    That is funny! As an adult I could understand this (as a 15 year old probably not so much :) ). 911 turbo with 4 speed is sort of lumbering...until that turbo kicks in and all hell breaks loose!

24. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    My neighbor had a 1973 Cameo White Super Duty Trans Am that I lusted after. I owned a 1974 blue one but never a 1973.

25. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    1990 I wanted a prostreet 70 Hemicuda tubbed with wheelie bars. Had to settle for my 440 Challenger instead.