What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking? | Page 24 | FerrariChat

What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by gh0st0, Oct 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

thank you for the response mark! I would very much appreciate the info for the gentleman in CA.

2. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Camp Freddie and soulsea like this.
  3. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Blanton's Bourbon for me this time.

AtomicPunk88 and armedferret like this.
  4. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Tonight's sip. Still trying to decide if I'm keen to this one. It drinks awfully warm. May be better as a smoked old fashioned who knows....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

AtomicPunk88 and GatorFL like this.
  5. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I added a single ice cube and let it mellow, and it was fantastic. A *LOT* more flavors came thru for me (though in fairness my entire olfactory system is completely messed up at this stage so my experience probably doesn't mirror others') and it wasn't anywhere near as "high proof tasting". Anyway I dig it and will be keeping it for iced sips. :)

No photo but a little (maybe an ounce, if that much....just a splash) Smoke Wagon Small Batch tonight. Gotta be up at 4 tomorrow, big full day of babysitting grown adults. :p

ferraripete, Scuderia 110 and soulsea like this.
  6. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Angels Envy tonight…….over a couple of rocks. :)

armedferret likes this.
  7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
  8. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
  9. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Long day today, had a guy road rage on me a little over a year ago and today was court. He made full restitution (broke a window on Mrs' TDI) and pled guilty in exchange for probation rather than jail.

We're whole, the guy got a break, and hopefully can learn/improve from the experience.

Anyway. popped over to a pub just outside the courthouse and tried a new label i'd not had before. and man was it excellent.

10. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
  11. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Always down for a barrel pick. This one is no slouch. Tons of character, basically if you took the best profile bits from EC Toasted Barrel and a standard Woodford Double Oaked, and gave it a nice long creme brulee on the finish...that's this guy. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and piss off Mrs. by snagging a second to stash. :D

12. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Update: I went back to grab another (and I did, it's hidden in the back of the "reserve" shelf so I don't come across it for a while, likely when they're all gone and it's worth eleventy billion on the secondary....hehe?) and they had their new Makers Private stocked finally. Not really a summer bottle, but I can see it going REALLY quick when the fire pit gets some use this fall. *sigh*

I spose I'm prolly buying more whiskey this weekend. :D

Camp Freddie likes this.
  13. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Cracked open the 2020 Shenk's and Bomberger's releases a couple of days ago.

If you're not familiar with them they are a concurrent yearly release by Michter's distillery.

They are not cheap but they are wonderful bourbons, on the level with Pappy 12, and although they get a little marked up they are still a great value at $150 or less.

14. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have had several friends I couldnt get Blantons for and ended up telling them to try this instead. None have been disappointed.

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  16. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No photo, cause I'm a dingus and forgot, but currently enjoying an Ol' Fashy (muddled sugar cube and bitters, none of that simple syrup shenanigans here!) with Basil Hayden's. Was a 375 a friend gifted, and my first bottle ever of standard BH. Quite a fantastic little pour, and tonight's OF killed the bottle.

On a separate note, I recently picked up a locally-produced single-malt from Old Line, aged in a sherry cask--barrel select from a local liquor shop. I know, that's a lot of words. Apologies. Bottom line, it's *REALLY* warm, drinks far warmer than its 115* point, but *MAN* is it fantastic!! not a super old aging, by any stretch, and for me when something's super oaky (as many young whiskeys tend to be) thanks to the burn pits at Bagram AFB destroying my olfactory system it ends up tasting like sawdust. Not so with this young fella. TONS of dark fruit, lots of brandied cherries and blackberries, that sort of thing. Well, the purchase also entered me into a drawing for a Weller 12 and a Weller Single Barrel. Here in MD, those are effectively "unobtanium", so win/win really. Either way the whiskey I bought was fantastic. That it possibly results in a W12? Icing on the cake.

Anyway, I posted about the single-malt on IG. With my 300-ish followers. Yep, big influencer here :p Despite that, the shop reached out and thanked me for posting about it, and asked me to call them....which I did so nearly immediately. The owner expressed his gratitude for helping to promote "the little guy" once again, mentioning that "anyone can post a picture of Weller 12, or Blantons, or whatever, and get likes". He ain't wrong. To thank me, he offered me a store-pick (meaning single-barrel) Weller Full Proof, at MSRP ($75). I was beside myself.

I *IMMEDIATELY* accepted, with immense gratitude, and fired up my trusty GTI to head out. Sure enough, he and the bottle were waiting for me.

We had a fantastic conversation, and I'm pretty sure I've got a new "local" (semi anyway, it's a bit of a drive but for someone who offers something like this I'm 100% in no hesitation) spot to hit up.

His only request was that I don't name them or post the bottle (cause of the "barrel select" sticker with their name) online, which I had no issues agreeing to. He doesn't want to be inundated with flippers for the secondary, and I don't blame him one bit. He's definitely good people, and I can't wait for October when the BTAC/Weller/Pappy allocations hit MD. ;)

17. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nice story and excellent connection!

18. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    NbyNW and soulsea like this.
  19. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Cracked open the HH 15 ... it's at the limit of what I enjoy proof wise and it is delicious. I recommend it.

Then I got hooked up with a bottle of Weller TW pick. People were lining up at 5am to get to it which is beyond ridiculous. I mean it's decent enough but not worth that kind of effort. Groupthink marketing at its best.

NbyNW and armedferret like this.
  20. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Went by the store today to pick up the new Batch 11 KW bourbon release.

Out of the blue they randomly received bottle of OF fall 2020 release so scooped that one up too.

jahdish, gh0st0, NbyNW and 1 other person like this.
  21. usshelena725

usshelena725 Karting

Nov 22, 2014
    Johnson City, TN
    armedferret and soulsea like this.
  22. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
  23. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Still tasty though.

I just wouldn't pay over MSRP for it. Especially not when Hancock's is around for the same price. ;)

soulsea likes this.
  24. jahdish

jahdish Karting

Aug 9, 2004
    tampa, fl
    Full Name:
    Paul Dziadosz