What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking? | Page 21 | FerrariChat

What Bourbon/Scotch are you drinking?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by gh0st0, Oct 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Picked up my bottle from post 494 and looked around for something interesting. Ended up getting this to support a Maryland distillery. 100% grain. Interesting and really sweet nose. The taste was very different - not my favorite but different can be interesting occasionally.

My wife and I did a taste test between it, Legent, Knob Creek, and the Michter’s I just got (post 481), and Virginia Gentleman. All straight out of the bottle and uncut.

1812 Maryland: Very sweet nose, interesting taste, not typical at all. Would take time to get used to it. Probably won't buy it again.
    Michter's: Sharp and big bite up front, wife said it stings (don't remember the proof). Yikes!
    Knob Creek: Smooth but can tell it's higher proof, no big bite. Another of our standards.
    Legent: Very smooth and kind of a light taste even at 94 proof. Very easy to sip. We really like it and will get it again, not too expensive either.
    Virginia Gentleman: I've been sipping this since I started with bourbon... a long time ago, and still one of my favorites. Wife really likes it too. Great value.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Camp Freddie and armedferret like this.
  2. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm with you on the 1812, it's definitely different and I applaud them for finding a niche but i dont know that it's for me.

3. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Oh and it turns out the owners of Lost Ark in Columbia are acquaintances, worked with the fella when i first got stationed out here in 08. Dude's got a passion.

4. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Definitely niche... I had to do a taste test because it was so different.

I'll look for Lost Ark next time.

armedferret likes this.
  5. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Theyre mostly rums but they make a pretty decent whiskey too. Theyre on Berger Road in Columbia, just off 32 and Broken Land pkwy.

NbyNW likes this.
  6. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    GatorFL, poljav and armedferret like this.
  7. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Fan of that EC18. I honestly probably overpaid for my bottle but it was bought for a specific occasion and it wasn't "full secondary", just a little bump over MSRP so I was okay with it. That Rare Perfection i've added to my hunting list when we Hajj again here in a couple weeks. :D

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Still enjoying Islay

Lagavulin 16 is great but Laphroaig still has the best for value IMHO.

Ardbeg Corryvreckan is my favorite
    Kilchoman still needs more work
    Bowmore great for sweet
    Caol Ila - umbrace Islay laddie...
    Bruichladdich = great wild card.
    Bunnahabhain - meh.

ebobh15 and armedferret like this.
  9. JG26_Irish

JG26_Irish Rookie

Dec 22, 2011
    I am finishing up a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 myself. It is great but I think I prefer the Craig 12yr Barrel Proof over the older dram. Those are my favs when I can find them. Pro Tip: Go find a bottle of Coopers Craft 100 proof BIB. It is not a haughty high priced bourbon but it has character, flavor, deep dark color and a great nose. Vanilla, Toffee, Brown Sugar on the front, a hint of oak and caramel on the nose and a mild pepper spice finish that is not too harsh. Got a bottle of WT Master's Keep also but only open it for rare occasions.

armedferret likes this.
  10. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Good harvest this week …

Two more bottles of EC 18, then two of the EC toasted barrel, and then this finally showed up at the store today:

11. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    A unicorn. I've seen a bottle in the wild but it was not for sale.

12. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
  13. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    armedferret and gh0st0 like this.
  14. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Road tripping right now, in Vegas for a couple more nights then up to Yellowstone.

Stopped in TX to see a couple good friends and one had the holy grail of non bourbon, our bottle of Black Tot Last Consignment which was promptly opened. Life's too short to avoid enoying stuff like that. :D

We did a hearty exchange and he provided a MASSIVE box of samples for me, as well as a single barrel pick Eagle Rare, some EHT (small batch), weller 107, and a couple others.

Dove into a few of the samples he provided while we were at the Grand Canyon, Blood Oath 6 and Bardstown #4. Both excellent and I'm now on the lookout for one of each. We also brought some bottles along for fireside sipping.

Have the Smokewagon UC/UF back at the house, thankfully finding a Small Batch to go along with it wasn't too tough in Vegas (would hope it was fairly common out here lol).

Had a nice dram of Weller 12 as well, to date I probably prefer the 107 out of the ones i've got/tried (107, reserve, full proof, 12).

Gonna go check a couple liquor shops while the laundry's drying. See what I can scare up. ;)

Camp Freddie, soulsea and NbyNW like this.
  15. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    NbyNW, soulsea and Camp Freddie like this.
  16. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Tail end of an incredibly epic 2 week road trip and I couldn't resist a lil fun along the way (not counting when we saw Eva Braun's panties in Vegas of course).

More than one person stared at me judgingly. I did my best to make it UNBELIEVABLY awkward for them through cringey conversation. Worked every time.

Get it?

Anyway we also saw a wolf so that was pretty cool.

Hope everyone's well!!

Camp Freddie, NbyNW and soulsea like this.
  17. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

That's awesome!

armedferret likes this.
  18. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  19. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
  20. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

armedferret likes this.
  21. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It was PACKED, people were parked along the road half a mile each side of the entrance. We'd seen it before so we opted to continue along. ;)

No Cody this trip but we've been before and will be headin thru there next year. Will throw Cassies on the list!!

NbyNW likes this.
  22. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
    Very envious, I haven't been outside of a 25 mile radius for 16 months

23. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Finally made it back home, despite the best efforts of Illinois' nonexistent roadkill cleanup crew. Semi next to us in a construction zone, I couldn't straddle a weeks-old dead raccoon carcass and a bone fragment got lodged in the outermost portion of the sidewall of one of the tires. 800 miles on a 50mph spare. I need a bloody nap.

But first....the spoils of travel. :D Did a buncha trading with Chef Mike in Texas, as well as hit up a couple liquor stores in Vegas, yielding some fair-to-middlin additions. (also got a shload of samples from Mike but not pictured)

The Smokeys rounded out the (not-so-difficult-to-find) collection.

Buddy who just PCS'd to Nellis is keeping an eye out for the red/white/blue bottle of SW that'll be coming out next month. :D

jahdish and Camp Freddie like this.
  24. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Illinois and Indiana roads are horrible. Imagine pulling a trailer and dealing with dodging potholes and such. Just crazy. Glad you made in on the emergency spare! Harrowing… to say the least.

Take a big shot before that nap.

armedferret likes this.
  25. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wife's car has aftermarket wheels so we're going to get a pair of tires (bout a year old but maybe 20k miles on the rears, so enough wear that it'd be about 3/32 difference so figure better to just get a pair, they're relatively cheap) and move the existing "other" good one to one of her OEM wheels and put that in the spare well for future trips; well is deep enough for it to fit. :)