What battery do you recommend for your 412/ 400? | FerrariChat

What battery do you recommend for your 412/ 400?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by JMFC, Apr 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JMFC

JMFC Rookie

Dec 19, 2015
    Interstate?

And how often would you change? Every two years?

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I had good luck with NAPA batteries in my 400i and use Interstate in our daily drivers. Battery life has been 4-7 years.

Costco now sells Interstate.

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    If you keep a battery allways full charge there is no need to change it as long as it doesn't give any trouble. We live in a cold dry area where battery life is a little longer than say Florida and my dad had his OEM Ford battery in his truck for 15 years.

4. JMFC

JMFC Rookie

Dec 19, 2015
    Which model of Interstate or NAPA do you use?

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Group 27. I recall it was a 27F.

6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Get a trickle charger, battery tender, and battery will live longer. Hook it up anytime car is not driven for over a week.
    Ken

7. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    #7 Part Time, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is what I have, since it was there when I got the 400i.....and I do hook up a charger when it sits for more than a week, or when I am working on it.

Gary

Yup....it's upside down, but not on purpose.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Depends on where you live…& because you don't have that info in your profile, the discussion ends here :(
    But check here for Interstate's recommendation:
    Interstate Batteries | Climate Map | Extreme Weather Batteries

+1!

I seem to remember this discussion popping up over the years & have always heard Group 34 being recommended. Mine you, this is a forum…not gospel :D
    But your advise is always welcome!

9. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I'm curious if the PO of your car lived up north, it'll be interesting how yours holds up as Interstate recommends Mega-Tron II's for our climate.

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #10 godabitibi, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    Guys all this makes me laugh. We are talking about a summer car. NO NEED for a big battery. If your car need a big battery you should fix the engine or starter not the battery. The manufacturer listing for battery take in fact the winter condition TOO. We use where I live group 27 or 31 in trucks with large V8 with 1100cca because we have -40 on occasion. The engine is like a solid block and the battery chemical reaction is almost non existant. We have to turn the headlamps on a bit to awake it before starting.

I NEVER had anything bigger than a 550cca in any of my summer cars and allways did the job with a 27. Even with a 429SCJ with factory comp ratio of 11.3 to 1.

With those little displacement even in a V12 any battery should do the job in summer if the system is GOOD and battery allways charged.

A charging and starting system ALSO need maintnance. The battery is only a part of it.

Did you guys measure the voltage drop while cranking from the battery to the starter?