What are your plans for Monterey? | FerrariChat

What are your plans for Monterey?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Challenge64, Apr 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    If you are going to Monterey in August, what's your plans?

I'm asking as I would like to make this a Q & A in my next issue of my magazine.

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Arrive at SFO Friday 17th August.
    Early Sat morning Bruce Canepa open house in Scotts Valley on the way from San Francisco to Monterey.
    Then pre-historics at Laguna Seca both Sat/Sun.
    Tuesday 8 am start Quail Rallye, then Concours on the Avenue in Carmel, then Automobilia Expo at Embassy Suites in Monterey.
    Wednesday morning 22nd Aug auction previews. Afternoon Gordon McCall's Motorwerks party at the MRY Jet Center.
    Thursday 0700 am Pebble Beach Polo Field line up and departure for Pebble Beach Tour. Lunch in Carmel. Practice in Laguna Seca, auction previews.
    Friday 24th August Quail Motorsports Gathering, Bonhams auction, evening Gooding and/or RM Sotheby's auction.
    Saturday 25th: Concorso Italiano, then Gooding auction, Laguna Seca MRY Motorsports Reunion, 4 pm Barnyard Shpg Ctr Ferrari Meeting Carmel, eve RM auction.
    Sunday 26th Pebble Beach Concours.
    Monday 27th Blackhawk Collection Danville.

Marcel Massini

WJC, srslusso, nschots and 3 others like this.
  3. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    That's a busy schedule! Look for the bare aluminum Tdf at Quail and say hello!

LARRYH likes this.
  4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    This year, I was just planning a simpler year and was going to take friends for a daytrip to Laguna Seca on Saturday. For the first time in 10 years, I don't have a hotel reservation.

For various reasons, my plans have changed. Now, I am going to Quail on Friday with my wife then (probably) also driving down again on Saturday with (different) friends for Concorso Italiano.

The track on Saturday is my favorite thing of the week. (More precisely, strolling the paddock on Saturday is my favorite thing.)

LARRYH likes this.
  5. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm going to set up a booth for my wares.

6. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    The Plan. We'll see if it pans out this way.

Fri. 24th -- Quail + Exotics at Cannery Row
    Sat. 25th -- Barnyard + RM
    Sun. 26th -- Pebble Beach Concourse

Anyone have any details on the elusive Casa Ferrari yet?

7. PBBMTRY

PBBMTRY Karting

Apr 3, 2006
    Monterey, Ca
    Some of us are lucky enough to live here. I see plenty of cars just hanging out around town. The events themselves are often too crowded.

mvaldezf60 likes this.
  8. 2MS

2MS Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Will Casa Ferrari be back this year?

9. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
  10. 2MS

2MS Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
  11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    For those that approach Monterey from the south (aka, south of Big Sur) or those that take an extended road trip down Highway-1 during Car Week, CalTrans will be opening Highway-1 by the end of July. That's ahead of the scheduled September reopening of this stretch that's been closed for the last 14 months due to the largest slide in California history. Local news points out that there will be somewhat restricted travel while they continue working, but at least the connection with central/southern Calif will be re-established.

12. 1slocrx

1slocrx Karting

Jun 26, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    So-Cal to Nor-Cal trip with a bunch of Paganis, then back home for a couple of days. Then roll into EOCR saturday with the Roadster.

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    - Arrive Thursday late afternoon - prep for Quail
    - Friday - presenting one of my Ferrari's at The Quail, a Motorsports Gathering
    - Saturday - Possibly Concorso Italiano, Casa Ferrari - Ferrari Hospitality Center at Pebble Beach
    - Sunday - Dawn Patrol, Pebble Beach Concours, Casa Ferrari - Ferrari Hospitality Center at Pebble Beach

14. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    What about this event in Monterey on Cannery Road?
    I know it's free (not much else free that weekend) but how many cars show up?
    How far is nearest parking for regular (non Ferrari) cars?
    Aren't a large number of Ferraris diverted by Concorso Italiano on same day (though I think that ends at 4 pm?)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Exotics on Cannery Row
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Aug 25, 2018 at 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM
    Cannery Row
    Monterey, CA 93940

(pr copy, not me...)

Event Info
    For one week out of the year the quiet coastal town of Monterey turns into a mecca for the automotive world drawing visitors from around the globe. Monterey Car Week is an inspirational experience full of rare cars, breathtaking scenery and memorable events. For automotive enthusiasts, collectors and curators it is the ultimate representation of their passion.

The carefully crafted approach of Exotics on Cannery Row is to create the ideal venue for companies to showcase their products and services to a demographic passionate about high-end modifications. Sure to draw the crowds, the event is free and open to the public. Vendor booths will range from wheel manufacturers to wrap companies, tuners to transport companies and everything in between. If your company caters to the luxury automobile market then EOCR is the place to be.

15. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I went to EOCR a couple of years ago and it was insane. I thought the cars were great and there were many high end cars. I recall it was on a Friday, though, as I attended Concorso Italiano the next day, on Sat.

16. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Is Gooding going to have a nice breakfast available for those with
    auction passes at Monterey? If so, what day?I went to their breakfast at the Scottsdale auction
    a couple years ago, very scrumptious I must say but they sure whipped the food away fast when the gavel started to fall on the first car....

17. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Also what car makers are going to have a preview on the Monterey Peninsula of a yet unseen model?
    I am particularly interested in
    Mercedes Maybach
    Bugatti
    Ferrari
    Maserati
    Jaguar
    Bentley
    Of course some of these you have to be a journalist to be invited to their soiree, but some are right on the "dream car lawn"in front of the Del Monte Lodge at Pebble Beach on concours Sunday. Curious as to what automakers pay for that spot on the lawn, I'm betting it's like $10K

18. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    The breakfast is open to those that received a pass for it with their catalogs...I believe it has always been the first auction day (so now Fri since they switched from Sat/Sun to Fri/Sat auction days). Of course the purpose is to bring people in for the early cars that day. Think about it...people going to bid $50k-$5m feeling the need to get $15-20 of free food!

If you're a consignor or considered a VIP (in their minds, not yours!), then food & drink during the auction is free (but please tip the wait staff!), with seating in the first few rows. But I'm not sure if there's a min consigned vehicle value to get this benefit.

If your a Chubb customer, you're eligible to get a pass for their reserved area off to the front right side (opposite the phone bidder stand). I don't recall if food and/or drink is complementary in their area (I was too busy trying to bid on my 55 190SL).

WJC likes this.
  19. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss

20. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I forgot to mention in last couple years during Car Week I went to the Rolls house and Bentley House. The Bentley House in PB was far from the water but they had cars to take out for a spin. I don't think I scared the Minder coming along too much when I punched the dhc twin turbo Continental dhc. Food was good but unacountably no plates! Lots of literature. The Rolls House was more like a Gatsby mansion, on the water, their event was at night. They picked me up in Roller but expected me to Uber it home! I protesteth mightily and they fetched a RR again. Food was more serious, big swanky party atmosphere. No cars to drive. Half an hour wait for your car (hey parking is not easy in PB). No brochures. Had a lad that looked 16 to talk to you about bespoke refinements to your RR, couldnt take him seriously. You csn get invited to either through your local dealer in your hometown. I don't have a local dealer but I think I just rianed down letters and they took me and the missus in out of the cold (might have been my ascot tie...)

21. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    This is my first time to Pebble Beach and I am more than excited! I won tickets to the Gooding auction through Chubb and my local car club in Chicago but I only found out about the tickets on 8/10, so it has been a rush to get a hotel and a flight.

Friday:
    Driving down from San Francisco and going to the Gooding auction on Friday night.
    Saturday:
    Thought about going to the RM Sotheby's preview, back to Gooding, maybe walking around the concept cars if those are being displayed, then Exotics on Cannery.
    Sunday:
    Unfortunately, we will not be going to the concours, but I will be hitting up the Dawn Patrol and then back to San Francisco to catch a 1p flight.

Questions from a newbie -
    I am really beside myself on getting to go, and because of the short notice, I am not doing this the way that I would like. So I have decided that this is a 'learning trip' and depending on the experience, will be back in the next couple of years and actually plan it out months in advance.

1) For the auction previews (specifically RM), are all the cars on display? For Gooding, we will be going to the auction but there are several RM cars I would like to see. If I get the $40 preview tickets, am I going to see the CLK GTR, the Ferrari 250 GTO and the others? (There are several Ferraris that I want to see but I have a soft spot for 'odd' looking cars and I would love to see the 1958 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud I Sedanca Coupe by James Young!)

2) The concours on Sunday is the main attraction, but is there a lot going on in that area on Saturday? Will the concept cars be on display then or just on Sunday? Are most of these displays open to the public or private events? The Gooding auction is so close that I figured we would probably walk over if there is anything to see.

3) Any other advice you would suggest other than comfortable shoes?

I won't be bidding on anything at the auctions - I have my heart set on a 355 GTS before anything else and none of those are being auctioned. Thanks for any help!

22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Yes, you should expect to see all the cars on display.

Try to go earlier on Friday and go to the Quail. It’s arguably the second best event of the week. It’s sold out but I’m sure you can find tickets on here or in Stubhub.

Concourse Italiano on Saturday is a lot of fun. Big show - a mix of top notch concours cars and drivers. Lots of enthusiasts.

There are a number of other Saturday gatherings.

WJC likes this.
  23. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Bring layers. It can be anywhere from in the 50's and foggy to low 80's especially as you get away from the coast (eg, Laguna Seca, Quail).

Also, in the past RM cars cannot be viewed up close in the plaza (behind the Conf Center building) area unless you're a bidder or pay the ~$25 to get in to look at the cars.

WJC likes this.
  24. Phiberglass

Phiberglass Karting

Mar 13, 2010
    Southern California
    Always a fun weekend. I'll be at Quail, Concorso Italiano (will have a booth), Pebble Beach, and various auctions in between.