what are signs of differential failure in a TR? | FerrariChat

what are signs of differential failure in a TR?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ross, Jun 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    having some issue come up recently, so just want to know what others have experienced.
    thx

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    please read all the other diff threads. there is no typical signs before a diff will fail. first thing is leaking oil at the left diff cover because this is broken then.
    I remember a post from paul newman when he openend a gearbox an dthe diff was broken. he was driivng the car before and not noticed. same happened to me but then the teeth from the pinion has been broken. have been lucky that the side cover was not broken.

3. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Mine gave no sign. Just a crunch making a RH turn from a stop sign at 10mph. Took out the differential and side cover. This was in a 512BB but suspect a TR is the same. Drew

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Not trying to be a smart a$$, but it is true:
    The most common sign of a bad diff is seen when the side of your tranny blows out.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    When driving at a constant speed say around 50-60 mph..you will sometimes get a vibration that comes and goes in the seat of your pants at a consistant rate. You will also hear a droning sound that fades in and out with the vibration you feel in the seat.

flash32 likes this.
  6. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    After the diff takes out the side cover the VIBRATION in the seat of your pants gets even worse but this is caused by your Wallet trembling ;) My factory diff was fine but I decided to upgrade mine about 7 years ago with one of Paul's beautiful pieces.

turbo-joe likes this.