What about Trump's 757? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What about Trump's 757?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Nov 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This thread brings up another question; There has been talk Trump will want to commute ( a lot) to Trump tower by helicopter. I don't see how he could do this the way Marine One operates, and he couldn't fly by private help for sure, anyone know the deal?

2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Can't think of a reason why Marine One couldn't use the Manhattan heliport like everyone else. The Secret Service could then drive him to Trump Tower.

3. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Maybe it's a good mission for the V-22s in the Marine Corp presidential airlift pool.... It's almost like what the thing was designed for. Vertical takeoff then cruise speed of a regular aircraft. I don't know if they have fully cleared it for the president to fly in but if it's deemed safe it seems like an awesome fit for the mission.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    They do use it. The documentary about Air Force One and Marine One that came out around Obama's inauguration showed a trip there.

It doesn't look like Trump Tower has a helipad on the roof, although he might be able to put one in. The MetLife building does, and it's only about 10 blocks away. Or he could use the regular heliport. His neighbors, I'm sure, would be much happier if he could go directly into Trump Tower via helicopter.

Presumably he would go AF1 (maybe using the GV or an Air Force 757?) to LGA, and helicopter from there. That's what all the other recent Presidents have done.

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I seem to remember that United Technologies used an S-76 to do Hartford, CT to DC.

Can't whichever current helicopter they use do DC-Manhattan? Don't they have some VIP Blackhawks?

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Heard that the airspace over Trump Tower is now a 'no-fly zone' officially.

7. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    AF1 is a FAST bird. It's not like other 747's...

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm sure it could do it, it's just not how Presidents have done it in the past. Why, I don't know. Probably security, or the lack of proper secure communications for too long of a period.

Doesn't Trump have a couple of S-76s?

9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You must be young. The classic 1981 movie 'Escape from New York' featured a pod.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

All 747's are fast... higher mach number that most other airliners.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    But the VC25 didn't enter the Presidential fleet until well after that...

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Is "FAST" some sort of an acronym?

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I don't know if "FAST" applies here but we had a flight from Heathrow to Seattle in a 747SP that took off 1 hour late due to traffic. The pilot offered his apologies but stated that "This airplane can make it up and we will." We landed in Seattle exactly when the schedule said that we would. The SP was a hotrod but the regular 747 is no slouch either when it comes to hustle.

14. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    !

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I may have posted this before but one of my favorite anecdotes was published in Flight Mag. in 1959 or 60. A PAA Boeing 707 was leaving Gander and reported climbing through 17,000. Above and on the way in from London was a BOAC Comet who came on the radio and said, " Boeing 707 what are you doing WAY down there at 17,000?" The 707 pilot answered, " Mach .82. What are you doing?"

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Fully-reusable Access to Space Technology, Fast Access Space Testbed, etc. Beloved acronym with dozens of applications. Those are just two programs I worked on in the last decade.

17. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  18. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    The gold-plated Boeing 757 owned by former President Trump is sitting empty at a New York airport, amid reports that the plane requires costly repairs

((Since 2010, the jet's been registered to DJT Operations I LLC, according to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) registration data. It's a 1991 Boeing 757-200 series, with the call sign N757AF. It has a pair of Rolls-Royce RB211 turbofan engines, according to the FAA.
    Microsoft cofounder Paul Allen previously owned the jet.)))

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-gold-plated-boeing-757-owned-by-former-president-trump-is-sitting-empty-at-a-new-york-airport-amid-reports-that-the-plane-requires-costly-repairs/ar-BB1eMPRA

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If it were sitting anywhere, I'd figured that it would be where I've seen it often in the past: Palm Beach International.

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    A waste of a good airplane. One of Boeing's best even before the all the precious metal and silk additions.

NürScud, 375+ and Boomhauer like this.
  21. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    planes must be cheap......

last a saw they were being parked all over.

22. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Considering he has had other means of transportation the last 4 yrs it should not be a surprise that it was put into long-term storage mode. One engine is off, which again is not a big deal. If he decides he doesn't need it anymore would be VERY easy to sell. 757 still in high demand for freighter conversion.

Always 'funny' how things turn out. Prior to the pandemic 747 freighters were being parked all over the place. Now, with reduced passenger flights using new-generation wide-bodes which carried a considerable portion of worldwide freight traffic in their bellies, 747's are being re-activated. There was even a 747-200F re-activated recently.

23. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I really wonder what the outcome of all these materials (gold, expensive wood etc) will be when the plane will get retired.

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Given the downturn in Hotel and Hospitality industry from Covid, I'm sure they have more important places to spend money than on fixing a private jet.

That plane is 2nd hand. It was someone else's before he bought it. Something like 1/2 off.

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My first job out of college was working on Boeing's custom jet program. Its all smoke and mirrors. The gold is plated and a lot of the wood (but not all) is fake or a veneer. Part of it is because of safety regulations, part of it is material testing costs, and part of it is weight.

They do change fabric materials to higher quality because they don't care as much about long term durability but still have to pass issues like flammability, toxic smoke, etc. Its not as easy as it looks.

greg328 and NürScud like this.