West Texas spotters thread | FerrariChat

West Texas spotters thread

Discussion in 'Texas' started by MarkPDX, Nov 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Gonna kick this thing off :)

red 599 in Abilene again yesterday which is the second time I have seen it.

2. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    He has a lot of nice cars.

3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I didn't spot a Ferrari in West Texas but I did spot a FerrariChatter... I ran into TurboTodd at Tractor Supply yesterday in Sweetwater, apparently he was negotiating some sort of transfer out there... (kidding about the transfer)

I saw a Red NSX travelling westbound on I-20 this afternoon somewhere between Clyde & Cisco....

Mark, glad to here you're back in Abilene... Between work and hunting I'm coming through there every couple of months...

4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Haven't met the owner yet myself but I understand that he buys them from a dealer in another state. If you have a connection I would be interested in meeting him sometime.

5. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Dang it man! Next time you are driving through you gotta let me know. I was doing nothing but aimlessly pottering around town and washing the cars!

6. TurboTodd

TurboTodd Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Brentwood, TN
    Saw the red NSX as well.. right around Cisco.

Between Abilene and Sweetwater today saw a silver-blue 360 Spider westbound..

..and no amount of money could get me to Sweetwater..

I did spend a couple of hours poking around Thurber on the way home.. looks like a happening place.. maybe I could put a store there for the 5 inhabitants..

7. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I hate people who spell phonetically.

Mark: Next time I'm through there I'll give you a shout. Mid-Decemberish is the next time planned.

That smokestack restaurant in Thurber is always a busy place.

8. Brangeta

Brangeta Formula 3

Jan 31, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    I used to live in Midland, TX from '97-'02 and there was nothing ever there except for the rare Viper or NSX. Heck, there were only three Jaguar XK8s...

Supposedly there's a guy with a McLaren F1 there, but I never saw it. It was supposedly silver, and the rumor was he also owned a rear-wheel drive Murcielago and an Enzo. Don't know how much water that bucket holds...

9. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    All of it.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A lot of white race cars in Midland they say....LOL!

11. Brangeta

Brangeta Formula 3

Jan 31, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    I didn't know the Chapparels were at the aviation museum until AFTER I moved, and I haven't been back since... *sigh*

12. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    hEY yff.
    Rosso Fiorano/Cuoio bought right here @ Barrett. Nice car. Glad he's driving it. He trades a lot.

13. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    As opposed to the front wheel drive version? ;)

14. Brangeta

Brangeta Formula 3

Jan 31, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    No, as opposed to the all-wheel drive version, which is apparently 99.9% of them :p.

15. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Edited some posts to respect the privacy of someone who I have been advised values it..... but yes the McLaren F1, Enzo and Murci in Midland are correct. Saw the Enzo myself when it was in San Antonio :)

16. greg

greg Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2004
    Tyler, Tx
    The guy who owned the Mclaren, Murci and the Enzo owned a oil company in Midland.I forget the name. There was an occasion that Road and Track magazine came to the Firestone test track outside of Ft. Stockton, Texas while I lived out there, and tested some of his cars for one of their "fastest car" issues. the track would not let the public in for the test, but I had a friend who worked at the track and he said it was incredible.

17. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Sumthin's dunne missin' from this thread but I can't quite place my finger on it...

18. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Twasn't even him this time, there are a lot of little birds that whisper in my ear from time to time.

19. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I managed the BMW store in Odessa for 9 years before Broncho sold it. You really missed a lot of good cars. Mr. B's F1 ( now sold to make room for a Veyron). And it was silver before he had it painted red to match his Enzo. Yes RWD Lambo,first Countach in the US and more. He took his tech to Italy and went through technical training when he bought the Lambo he would not take it to Dallas for service. As far as I know, his is the only private factory trained, certified Lambo tech around.

Ask me about when his son was going to Texas Tech, majoring in ranch management and driving a supercharged through the hood, Chevy Beretta Pro Street car to class. The officials at tech told him he was making too much noise bringing the car to class on campus so Carty gave him a Lambo to take to class since it would not attract as much attention. It looked really cool sitting at the ranch management office next to the power stroke, crew cab dualie trucks.

And he also rides dirt bikes and raced pro-stock. He had two Olds Cutlasses like Jeg Coughlins but has cut it down to one. He did have the great thrill of defeating Warren Johnson (The Professor) one time......One time only.....

Guy and Joe M. and all their cars and planes. Guy had a Rolls with a supercharged 427 Chevy in it. I sold them a bunch of BMW's over the years. Guy bought the first 850 BMW in Texas. Joe always kept two Ferraris at all times. While at FoD we took him a 355 and an F40 and took back a 328 and a 348. He took the F40 for a run down their private runway and ran it off the end of the strip into the gravel pit. We had to load it up and take it back with us to have all the rock chips painted.. He had one hangar full of his collection of cars including Model A's and Model T's along with his performance cars. He had another hangar full of vintage aircraft, P 51, Spitfire, and he was the President of the Confederate Air Force and restored Fifi, the B 29.

Stan P. over in Big Spring with his 550 Maranello. Pat G. with his two cars. Dr. Sherrod in Odessa, who may be dead now. He was the SCCA track physician for years and would drive his Daytona to the Spring Sprints in Big Spring.

Go to the Petroleum Museum on I-20 around Midland and see the Chaparral collection of Jim Hall. All the cars are there.

They were and are out there if you know where to look. Look up BTA drilling and exploration in downtown Midland and go in and ask to speak to Mr. B. He will probably come down and greet you if he is is town. Carty is a really, really neat person......

20. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Hmmm, I wonder who that could be?
    Did you really think I would miss chiming in on this thread? I threw a couple of names out but all are now common knowledge. I will not divulge addresses or phone numbers but there has been so much talk around that even newbies are speaking as if they are best friends with some of these guys......

MarkPDX, I appreciate you respecting confidentiality.

21. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Mr. B is a truly nice guy. Only met him once, a few mutual acquaintances. Generous and uses his cars. Pro-Stock stuff pretty interesting, not surprising. Didn't know F1 gone, would have sniffed at that one. Sad stuff a few years back. Edit OK by me, not that it matters ;) I like privacy too.

22. Brangeta

Brangeta Formula 3

Jan 31, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    To add to the "you'd be surprised how we're all connected list," you might remember my mom and I from when Ferrari of Dallas was at it's old location. We came in just as you were about to close, and spoke to you about how we were from Midland (because at the time we were still living there), and how we were really big car fans. I believe we talked to you about the McLaren; however, since I had never seen Ferraris before in my life, I was mostly walking around in a daze taking pictures and my mom was doing most of the talking. I'm not sure what happened to those pictures... I'm not sure where they are...

Happen to remember a ~17 year old boy wearing a black tank top (it was a hot summer day), his mom with blonde curly hair, and her '02 Camaro SS, red with silver stripes? :)

23. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Sure do, hope all is going well with you. Yes, you were kinda mesmerized by the cars in stock. But it only took two towels to clean up the drool after you left. It is a real disappointment to lose photos like that I have lost quite a few myself............

24. Brangeta

Brangeta Formula 3

Jan 31, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    LOL, yes, perhaps I left a bit too much drool behind. I remember on that same trip to Dallas, I looked like a complete tourist because I took a picture of a 360 in a parking lot. The lady in the car scowled at me and rolled up her window when I asked if it was okay if I took a picture of her car.

I remember there was an F40 in the shop that I took a very poor picture of... I'm sure I have them somewhere... just going to have to locate them. :)

25. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I met the owner of that 599 recently and he does in fact own some other really cool cars. Seemed like a real low-key kind of guy.