West out of VA..... | FerrariChat

West out of VA.....

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by wthensler, Jun 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Weather was way too nice in the mountains of VA today to not take a long joy ride. But I got a bit carried away, heading west through Harrisonburg and deep into West Virginia.

For those that haven’t been, the ride through the George Washington and Monongahela National Forests is superb. I took 33W through Franklin and Judy Gap into Seneca Rocks, then westward to Elkins.

From there, it was 219 all the way down to Lewisburg.

There are some incredible Ferrari stretches of road, the road is sparsely traveled, and most of the tarmac is in great shape! The 458 got quite a workout, I assure you.

Just over 250 miles in some very twisty conditions and severe elevation changes, stopping briefly to snap a few pics. Here’s some from the drive........
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    If I feel up to it, tomorrow I’ll head southwest into Tazewell and drive the Back of the Dragon south into Marion. I’ve done the Tail, the Snake, and a few others, but not the Back. If I do I’ll try to snap a few more pics.

energy88 likes this.
  3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Next trip that way, put the Greenbriar on your itinerary for lunch!

4. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    We’ve stayed and eaten there before. It’s a wonderful place. But got down late and was out early today, so didn’t stay this time.

I did make it to Tazewell and drove The Back of the Dragon back and forth. Really challenging stretches in that 30 plus miles, and lots of elevation changes. I ran the way back with all the nannies turned off. Talk about Sheesh!

Guy on a bike coming the other way rode into my lane, and I rolled off the road onto a low shoulder to avoid him. He’s extremely lucky I didn’t hit him. A scratched rim, but I’ll take it.

Here is more eye candy from today’s drive....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

alum04org and E60 M5 like this.
  5. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    So having lunch in lovely Tazewell, eventually headed back to Charlottesville.....

Another Ferrari adventure! Get out and drive em’!

6. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Looks like this was an awesome awesome day.

7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Actually it’s several days. I tallied close to 750 miles and two and a half days. Fantastic roads, but it’s tough to put high mileage days in. Besides, why rush? Stopping along the way also adds to the adventure.

Planning several other trips along the Appalachians between now and September if anyone’s interested. By then I should have an excellent knowledge of the lay of the land, so to speak. I’ll post more pics as I go, and perhaps a write up of the roads if anyone’s interested.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW, Challenge and E60 M5 like this.