Were we all wrong about the FF? | FerrariChat

Were we all wrong about the FF?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Sep 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I admit when I first saw the pictures of the FF I didnt like it, I still am not a fan of the front but as a concept were we all wrong to slate it as much as we have, could this truly be the ultimate all round car?

2+2 GT Ferraris are always hard to define on the one hand we have the 400i a true gentlemans express and on the other we have the 365GTC/4 a car thats pretty much 2/3s of a Daytona. Then we have cars like the 456 and 612, both softer cars then there 2 seats stablemates.

Go back some more to the glorious days of the 60s and perhaps, if not in style we find te FF's true grandfather, the 500 Superfast, billed as the most practical fastest 2+2 in the world at the time the Superfast combined huge power with luxury unseen on a Ferrari. Now look at the FF and for me at least the similarities in concept are clear, except that unlike the Superfast you dont need to be a member of royalty to buy one.

If you could just have one car to do everything I honestly cannot think of one that could fill that role as well as the FF can and perhaps in that lies the true genius of the concept.

Ok I am finished thinking aloud! ;)

2. Jack & Jones

Jack & Jones Karting

May 9, 2006
    I love the FF and I love it even more because so many people think its hideous.

The FF is a car for people with a developed/decent taste for finer things, thats all I can say. It's like being able to love and listen to classical music, when many people think it's boring or not interesting. :)

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    So, if a person doesn't like the FF they are uncultured and unsophisticated? LOL

Confirmation bias.

4. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #4 4REphotographer, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
    Yes, I have the exact same thoughts as you. I didn't like it at first and it is now really growing on me. I think Ferrari is on the right track of going back to it's roots with solid Grand Touring cars. It seems the last 30 years have been centered on the mid-engined V8s because of their popularity and as much as I like them it's nice to see Ferrari really putting a lot of effort into the Grand Touring cars, which I feel they have been neglecting.

5. Jack & Jones

Jack & Jones Karting

May 9, 2006
    #5 Jack & Jones, Sep 4, 2011
    @hawkeye

I never said that, but that's what you make out of it. :)

It seems that you think that someone who doesn't like classical music,finer things in life, ... is uncultured and unsophisticated. I don't.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #6 TheMayor, Sep 4, 2011
    We weren't "ALL" wrong!!! :)

And I do agree that Ferrari should be making the best sports Gt on the planet as they did in the 60s.

7. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I like it, too, and can't think of a 4-person hauler that I would rather own. I could also care less if others think it's beautiful or hideous. Well done, Ferrari!

8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ive liked it since day one

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Are you kidding? I still think Enzos suck.

However, it doesn't really matter does it? Ferrari sold all its Enzos, and it will sell all the FFs it makes, despite what I think.

Ain't fair.

Dale

10. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Most people were wrong, the exception being that handful that have liked it since the beginning. Myself included ;)

11. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    ;) Interesting, one seems to remember either the most controversial objects or the most beautiful ones but seldom if ever the merely average ones.

12. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I was wondering when these threads were going to start popping up :)

Once again just like anything in life once the sensationalism moves to something else and people take a step back they see things as they truly are.

I loved the FF from the start and said countlessly that the FF was more "pure Ferrari" in that it echoed the very first cars to come out of the Ferrari gates.

It's a fantastic car with a fantastic vision. Well done Ferrari

13. Cariad

Cariad Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Any F1 Circuit
    And me in Milan on the way to Maranello via Monza to see the one of the first USA cars in production with my name on it. More after Monza.
    Forza Alonso !

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

#14 ferraripete, Sep 4, 2011
    no question of the cars prowess...it is a technical tour de force and it could very well be the current ultimate "do anything" car.

i think however we cannot continue to act as if it is any great beauty, the likes of the daytona, boxer, f-40 or even the 458.

pcb

15. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Still don't like it or the California. They are great for filling their purpose as daily drivers, but other than that, I can't connect emotionally with these two cars. Would I own one if I could afford one? Yes, but only after I had a Scuderia and a 599 GTB... It seems Ferrari looked over to Porsche for this one... "If they can make a Boxster and a Cayenne, why can't we?"

16. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    With respect I dont see the FF sharing much in common with the 125 or 166 ;) however do I agree the car does raise the game in this sector of the market to new heights.

17. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    #17 Tifosi15, Sep 4, 2011
    This is a flawed statement. Ferrari has always made "practical" 2+2s, ever since 1948. It's the fact they didn't look at Porsche and build an SUV that shows you how serious Ferrari is about it's roots. Ferrari has made the FF, a front engined, large, 2+2; it is just as intrinsically Ferrari as a 599 and arguably more so (I won't argue that) than a 430 Scud. Remember Ferrari's first mid engined road car came well after the V12 formula

I won't argue any of them are better, because as you pointed out, the FF/Cali doesn't do anything emotionally for you. It does for me! That IS what Ferrari is about

The FF shares a lot in common with the 166, just like I love your comparison with the Superfast, but of course times have changed. The only real difference apart from the 4RM system is the fact that it is practical and reliable!! ;)

18. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Who is acting?
    I think the FF is beautiful, always have. I know of some people who think the Daytona is goofy looking, the Boxer is dated, and we all know the Italia had it's critics when it was released.

19. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    +1

20. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #20 Bundy, Sep 4, 2011
    Have you actually seen a California in person? Pictures do not do it justice. It's really beautiful in the flesh, although the rear seat is unfortunately fairly useless. I'm only 5'10" and could not get comfortable in the driver's seat with my 5'2", 13-year-old son behind me (he was miserably squashed too).

21. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #21 Bundy, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Trincap

Trincap Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2010
    NorCal
    1. Just put him in the front. I think the back seats are made for toddlers only.
    2. Are you wearing a tourbillon watch???

Hey Cariad. What's your estimated time of arrival? I'm on first week of December or so. November is a slight possibility.

23. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Trincap, I've still got to squeeze another teenager and a wife into the car! I think the FF is a better solution.

It's a Martin Braun Heliozentric that can only wish it was a tourbillon. ;)

24. bulletproofwallet

Mar 2, 2011
    San Francisco

what do you mean by "we" white man?

25. bulletproofwallet

Mar 2, 2011
    San Francisco