were 365 front indicator lenses clear or coloured | FerrariChat

were 365 front indicator lenses clear or coloured

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, Aug 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    The thread title says it all.

Mine are coloured but I've seen others that are clear. I've no intention of changing them if incorrect, just wanted to know what was factory spec.

2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I'm pretty sure they were clear. Only the 400's & 400i's were clear/amber if I'm not mistaken :eek:

3. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
  4. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I'm wondering if it's a country of import's requirements like yellow daylight flashers are required in France, Switzerland, & Germany, but clear fog lights for the rest.

5. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've only seen clear lenses on 412's, and colored lenses on the earlier cars.

However in the book "Original Ferrari V12" the author Keith Bluemel states while describing the 365 GT4 2+2 that "cars for some markets have a full white lens".

I also suspect that earlier cars were retrofitted with clear lenses for a variety of reasons.

M

6. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
  7. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Hey Russ
    Ime 99.995 % unsure but I think some markets didn't require orange indicators so the car was supplied without. Ive seen plenty pics with and without but mostly with!

Got the PM I will post a bit of an update for all to see might be usefull for folks. MORE importantly congratulations on the new car well done.
    Regards
    Alastair

8. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Mine are coloured

9. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    There's no info available on your profile - where are you, what year is your car, how long have you had it ?

10. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Russell,
    I am 100% sure all 365, 400 & 412's had indicators covered by a plastic lens and they were the same colour each side.
    Personally I prefer the orange.

11. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Does that include the 400i ?

I agree that the coloured indicators look better - in my opinion they give the front some life.

12. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Only on Sundays.

13. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #13 rustytractor, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    It's a lot of aggro to change the indicator lenses just for Sundays - probably be forced to sell both F cars now and buy something less demanding.

Shame cos they're real easy to repair plus so economical to run.

14. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    #14 vecchio59, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Interesting question... one of many without an answer ? :)

My 1973 365 has always lived in Italy and (maybe) always had white lenses (though you can see some orange below... colored bulbs ?) picture attached.

Also, I have a copy of the original Ferrari brochure (1972, I believe) and it looks like the 365 started with white lenses... a few horrible pics attached (taken for my webcam...)

hope this helps, kind regards to everybody !
    Marco
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Marco, thanks for taking the time to dig out and photograph your brochure.

It's difficult to know what to think really - I've seen more 365's with coloured lenses than clear but all the documentation seems to show clear lenses. As suggested it's quite possibly is a regional thing and when i asked the question i thought the answer would be straightforward but we'll probably never know for sure.

16. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    I think it varied by country if my memory serves me the parts book has different numbers for different countries. I believe on my 365 they were clear and the lenses painted orange when federalized. I believe mine came via Sweden.

17. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Interestingly mine also came from Sweden, in fact it's still on a Swedish registration. I'll start the UK registration process when I get home because legally I can't drive the car until that's complete.

Hopefully I'll have the cooling issue sorted by the time the registration process is complete.

18. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Tassie
    yer a class act.

Oh and Russ is making a meek attempt at being a prolific 400 owner I do believe hes going to end up with more 400s than you!!!!!???? Cmon Russ you can 'out 400' that Aussie pretender!
    Regards gents
    Alastair

19. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Nice thought but only if others can be "acquired" instead of bought. I'm happy with what I have, an auto and manual with carbs and there's a point when stupidity becomes lunacy - I'm afraid I've already gone way past that point. It's testicles or another car so while they still work I'll stick with the twins !

That said I'd really like an injected 400i......

20. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK

Chassis 17315
    About a month now currently being tuned and prepped for mot.
    Back on the road next summer I hope.
    Living in Leicestershire

21. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    There's not many 365's on the road or in garages in the UK, with yours I only know of 4.

Where did you get yours from ? Care to share any other details - colour, mileage, history etc ? Be interesting to learn more about the car.

22. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Its the ebay car from northants christened j lo due to the arse. Mechanically sound, bodywork has no rot just not as it left the factory around the rear end. But sounds terrific. Long term goal will be to grt it back to original

23. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I spoke to the guy selling the car and considered bidding/buying it but at the time had no space, time or spare cash available.

I think the car was a steal for the money you paid - that was also the general opinion of most people of F Chat so well done - I look forward to seeing her up and running ASAP.

And yes, even the real J-Lo's rear may not be to everyone's taste but you sure as hell can't ignore it. A running 365 in great condition for very little money has got to be a winner whichever way you look at it.

24. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Yep looks like ive bagged a f car for the price of a fiesta.
    A few bits need looking at but its a 40 year old car so cant complain.
    Firstly to get it on the road and running then start to worry about things like ac re gassing and electric window speeds. The engine runs cleanly and has good compression. The power steering is working. Next jobs is a new windscreen and setting up the carbs correctly. Then clean the brakes up and ready to go. The exhaust is new suspension new brake discs new clutch new so generally pretty sound.

25. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Some additional info... I'm afraid not conclusive, as usual ! just fyi
    At the Museo dell'Automobile (Torino) there is a 365 on exhibition... it's white lenses...
    FERRARI 365 GT4 2+2 DEL 1973 : MUSEO DELL' AUTOMOBILE DI TORINO. - YouTube

Regards
    Marco